The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

11 hours ago, alfstonker said:

He's not big enough, tough enough, fast enough or good enough to be on the Canucks train for where it's heading.

One of JB's more face palm moments imo. He's a Higgins without the upside.

Then we'll build him into something and trade him to a team looking for skill.

I have a feeling this move will go better than the Vey trade. Granlund just needs to put on some muscle and he'll have more success.

Wait till his second season here before we start saying that he's a bust. We gave Vey that opportunity after all.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I have a feeling this move will go better than the Vey trade. Granlund just needs to put on some muscle and he'll have more success.

Wait till his second season here before we start saying that he's a bust. We gave Vey that opportunity after all.

This^

I understand that the Shinkaruk trade came out of left field for a lot of people and that many of the reactions have been off the knee jerk variety, but I'm still surprised how many people have been so willing to write Granlund off already. He only played 16 games for us, the bulk of which came after injury. 

I'll reserve judgment until after the off season. I'm looking forward to him hopefully putting on some weight, increasing his strength, and sharpening his draws. If he can do those three things then I believe he'll be a decent acquisition after all. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That seems fair,

2 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

This^

I understand that the Shinkaruk trade came out of left field for a lot of people and that many of the reactions have been off the knee jerk variety, but I'm still surprised how many people have been so willing to write Granlund off already. He only played 16 games for us, the bulk of which came after injury. 

I'll reserve judgment until after the off season. I'm looking forward to him hopefully putting on some weight, increasing his strength, and sharpening his draws. If he can do those three things then I believe he'll be a decent acquisition after all. 

There's just really nothing to look forward to with him imo. His speed isn't good, even if he gains some weight he'll be nothing more than a 3rd liner. I still think Shinkaruk could have been a pretty good scoring 3rd liner. He's much more aggressive and physical than Granlund as well and they're pretty much the same size.

Trade just makes no sense to me when we have Hank, Horvat, Sutter, McCann, Vey, Gaunce, etc as centers, could have traded Shink at the draft in a package or something.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

There's just really nothing to look forward to with him imo. His speed isn't good, even if he gains some weight he'll be nothing more than a 3rd liner. I still think Shinkaruk could have been a pretty good scoring 3rd liner. He's much more aggressive and physical than Granlund as well and they're pretty much the same size.

Trade just makes no sense to me when we have Hank, Horvat, Sutter, McCann, Vey, Gaunce, etc as centers, could have traded Shink at the draft in a package or something.

What I'm envisioning is Sutter as 1RW on the Sedin line, Bo as 2C, Granny as 3C and Gaunce as 4C with Vey getting shipped out (to Willie's chagrin) and McCann in the A. Or even using Granny as a bottom six winger instead. 

I like Granlund, but I'm still not sure if he's longterm Canucks material. But for the uses I just mentioned it's reasonable to keep him as a temp while some of our other players develop. 

25 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Neither Granlund or Shinkaruk play physical in any way.

As far as being aggressive Shinkaruk probably has the edge, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Either way I don't think we've seen the best of Granlund so it's too early to judge.

Granlund is a very smart player. Long term he could be switched to LW to fit in with our forward group, allowing bigger, stronger players to take face offs and play down low:

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

******** - McCann - Boeser

Granlund - Gaunce - Etem

******** - Cassels - Zhukenov

59 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Shink is not good enough defensively to be a thirdliner (never will be) its a high scoring top 6 forward or bust. 

Edited by hockeyking

1 minute ago, hockeyking said:

Shink is not good enough defensively to be a thirdliner (never will be) its a high scoring top 6 forward or bust. 

Should we have gotten a second round pick back instead of Granlund?  This is a great draft, with some exciting D prospects in round two.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Should we have gotten a second round pick back instead of Granlund?  This is a great draft, with some exciting D prospects in round two.  

depends if there was a second round offered because baert only got an offer of a second from us and he put up better numbers in the ahl than shink. We most likely would have only gotten a 3rd round pick.

3 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

depends if there was a second round offered because baert only got an offer of a second from us and he put up better numbers in the ahl than shink. We most likely would have only gotten a 3rd round pick.

Okay, I can see the third not being fair for ?Shink.  

I think they're hoping he follows a similar route as fellow Finn Valterri Filppula.

At Granlund's age Filppula was looking like a fringe NHLer as well. He had only put up 17 points in 73 games as a 23 year old. Pretty much the same point projection Granlund had this season.

The following season he put up 36 points and scored 19 goals. The biggest difference was he got stronger. At the same height, Filppula has almost 20 pounds on Granlund. That's going to be the biggest difference for him taking the next step.

I hope the Canucks take serious initiative to make sure that he puts in the work this summer in the gym. There's no reason he can't have the same type of breakout season next year with added speed and strength.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 4

There's no rush for him either, or any prospects for that matter.  This is the second year of transition, so expectations should be low -- just looking for young players to find their place in the NHL and establish themselves, and the now-veteran ones to improve.  If the team is competitive then that is just gravy.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think they're hoping he follows a similar route as fellow Finn Valterri Filppula.

At Granlund's age Filppula was looking like a fringe NHLer as well. He had only put up 17 points in 73 games as a 23 year old. Pretty much the same point projection Granlund had this season.

The following season he put up 36 points and scored 19 goals. The biggest difference was he got stronger. At the same height, Filppula has almost 20 pounds on Granlund. That's going to be the biggest difference for him taking the next step.

I hope the Canucks take serious initiative to make sure that he puts in the work this summer in the gym. There's no reason he can't have the same type of breakout season next year with added speed and strength.

I'm thinking he stays on with the club for at least a few years to see what he has. I hope we can win the third lotto position (at worst) so that we can draft Puljujarvi, then have a third line of Granlund, Horvat, and Puljujarvi. That'd be a real good two-way line with some size and speed and creativity with the puck.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's an interesting point..?...Although the optics would look pretty  bad ....'Canucks trade one of their 2014 1st round picks who is having a breakout season in the AHL, to Calgary for a 2nd round pick'.

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

That's an interesting point..?...Although the optics would look pretty  bad ....'Canucks trade one of their 2014 1st round picks who is having a breakout season in the AHL, to Calgary for a 2nd round pick'.

They didn't want a 2nd round pick.

The whole point was to get a player who was further along in their development. Benning continually talks about filling the 22-26 age gap. That's what he was doing here.

If Granlund progresses physically his puck skills will make him a solid middle 6 player. He's got to get faster and stronger though if he wants to have a long career. He just turned 23 and is a bit of a late bloomer in my opinion physically, so there is still a chance for him to put o 15 pounds of man muscle, and get a stronger base to play from.

I do think he will progress next year and put up 25 points. Maybe more if he gets a lot of PP time. It would be so exciting if we had solid progress from 3 of the young guys at least between Rodin, McCann, Virtanen, Etem, and Granlund. If they can all get to the 30 point area like Baertschi did we will probably have a playoff team.

I'd like to see him play with Sutter next year, I think he could learn a lot from him PK wise, and they are both really good positional players with some upside.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Etem
Granlund Sutter Rodin
4th line is a tossup at camp

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Derp... said:

If Granlund progresses physically his puck skills will make him a solid middle 6 player. He's got to get faster and stronger though if he wants to have a long career. He just turned 23 and is a bit of a late bloomer in my opinion physically, so there is still a chance for him to put o 15 pounds of man muscle, and get a stronger base to play from.

I do think he will progress next year and put up 25 points. Maybe more if he gets a lot of PP time. It would be so exciting if we had solid progress from 3 of the young guys at least between Rodin, McCann, Virtanen, Etem, and Granlund. If they can all get to the 30 point area like Baertschi did we will probably have a playoff team.

I'd like to see him play with Sutter next year, I think he could learn a lot from him PK wise, and they are both really good positional players with some upside.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Etem
Granlund Sutter Rodin

Agreed..more often than not,he's on the right side of the puck..I also like the way he distributes the puck..I'm anticipating a much better player next season..

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Etem
Granlund Sutter Rodin

Agreed..more often than not,he's on the right side of the puck..I also like the way he distributes the puck..I'm anticipating a much better player next season..