The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

27 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Granlund is the least of our concerns - I think he gets an unfair wrap. He is a very bland player, but is versatile and decent for his salary.

We paid him $120K per goal last season. 

Eriksson cost us $545K per goal. Schaller $663K. Beagle $1M. Sutter $1.1M. I don't mind re-signing him and just fitting him in wherever there is a gap. He can play all four lines, all forward positions, penalty kill, power play. He doesn't do anything well but he is a short-term piece of duct tape where we need him. 

I'd agree that he's fine, especially for what he's paid. I wouldn't mind seeing him still on the team come October.

11 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not a bad player... very useful... but nothing special.

I'd rather the Canucks use his spot for younger players to get some NHL experience.  

I'd rather we keep him and ditch some other dead weight. Worst case, he's a versatile 13th F that can slot in anywhere in the lineup.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather we keep him and ditch some other dead weight. Worst case, he's a versatile 13th F that can slot in anywhere in the lineup.

I don't disagree.  Just the Canucks already have some deadweight contracts on the books (Schaller, Eriksson, etc).... thus due to contracts that Granlund might be the odd man out.  

Now if they can get rid of some other players, then there is room for him.  

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I don't disagree.  Just the Canucks already have some deadweight contracts on the books (Schaller, Eriksson, etc).... thus due to contracts that Granlund might be the odd man out.  

Now if they can get rid of some other players, then there is room for him.  

Schaller and Spooner will almost certainly be waived/traded. Eriksson, I just don't see how he's back after his last few years and now his comments at the World's. 

Roussel's starting the year on IR so that will open up a spot for a bit as well. Plus we need to see who we add and who we delete this summer still. Personally I'd bring him back. He's cheap, versatile, reliable and good in the shootout. You can do a LOT worse at the bottom of your lineup.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be really high on Granlund. After his 19 goal season I thought he was poised to become a legit top 6 forward.

Shows what I know. I still think he's a useful bottom 6 utility player, but that's about it. 

We still won the Shinkaruk trade though :lol:

• Upvote 1

Granlund actually had a pretty decent year last year, so I wouldn't mind seeing him re-signed at a good deal. That said, what he provided is pretty replaceable, so I wouldn't be crushed if we found someone cheaper or at least a better bargain as well.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Not qualified.  I wonder if we will try to bring him back cheaper

That would be awful cheap, as he got 1.75m last year.  I guess if he's desperate...

Always liked Granny.  Extremely versitile  and always did what was asked of him, dispite never getting the chance to be an offensive player (which he proved he could after the 20g season.  Would much prefer him over Spooner, Schaller or the 6m dollar man.  Hope he finds another team, but he always has some good teams in the homeland that he can fall back on.

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be awful cheap, as he got 1.75m last year.  I guess if he's desperate...

Always liked Granny.  Extremely versitile  and always did what was asked of him, dispite never getting the chance to be an offensive player (which he proved he could after the 20g season.  Would much prefer him over Spooner, Schaller or the 6m dollar man.  Hope he finds another team, but he always has some good teams in the homeland that he can fall back on.

I may be mistaken, but aren't all qualifying offers a little raise, like 10% or something? My thought is maybe we want him on the same value or perhaps a bit lower. Either way, I wouldn't mind it if he was re-signed for the same or less on a one or two year deal.

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I may be mistaken, but aren't all qualifying offers a little raise, like 10% or something? My thought is maybe we want him on the same value or perhaps a bit lower. Either way, I wouldn't mind it if he was re-signed for the same or less on a one or two year deal.

A player who is no longer considered to be entry-level, but does not qualify as an unrestricted free agent, becomes a restricted free agent when his contract expires. A player may only declare himself to be an unrestricted free agent if he is over the age of 27 or has played in the league for a minimum of 7 years.

As far as qualifying offers, his current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Qualifying offers are for one year contracts. The minimum salary for the qualifying offer depends on the player's prior year salary. 

• Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary.
  • Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent.
  • Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.   If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent.   If the player does not sign before December 1, he is ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of the season.   If he plays for Toronto he is required to sign 30th of November for an obscene amount.

(OK, I may have added the last clause myself).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Seems really odd with their decade of first overall choices seemingly every other year and gifted with the player most call the best in the game (or heir apparent for the title) and they are picking up forwards the Canucks don't see a fit for.   Times are changing in Vancouver.   Not sure everyone is ready for it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

You know what? Can't believe we let this guy play 18 minutes every game for the past 3 years. Quite obvious he's got no offense talent, 3 goals in 21 games on a secondary scoring depleted Oilers. 

Yes, on a team boasting the depth of players like Megna and Chaput. It's amazing there were enough meaningful minutes left for him.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...