The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

17 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If Granlund and Etem are on our 3rd line we are in for an extremely painful season.  These guys should be battling it out for a spot in the opening lineup let alone locks for the 3rd line.   ^^^That is a borderline AHL lineup

Yeah, I don't see that happening.  I think Horvat starts on the 3rd line.  No need to rush him when Sutter is healthy.

Etem   Horvat   Dorsett

Bur   Granlund  Rodin

I think Bur/Dorsett are interchangeable and will provide good support for the younger players.  I like Rodin starting on the 4th alongside Granlund.

Oh yeah.  If Rodin isn't ready, then I think Zal or Grenier get a chance.

Edited by higgyfan

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If Granlund and Etem are on our 3rd line we are in for an extremely painful season.  These guys should be battling it out for a spot in the opening lineup let alone locks for the 3rd line.   ^^^That is a borderline AHL lineup

Suggestions? Should we bring Alf in with some of his genius trade suggestions for a quick fix? (no offense Alf) 

Like it or not, or 3rd line LW depth is currently Burrows, Etem or Rodin. I for one would rather hope the kid has had a big off season and can out produce Burr for that spot. If Burrows is looking rejuvenated, fantastic. If Rodin is fully healed (which I think is unlikely for the start of the season) and adjusts to the north american game, great. As for the center position, sure we can put Sutter as 2C or 3C, but that leaves Granlund as 4C. The kid has potential, and is not projected to be a 4th line shutdown guy. I say we put him in a position to succeed (if he has earned it of course) and see what happens. 

I would say the common suggested lineup I see around here is, and easy answer is as follows.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Beartschi - Sutter - Rodin/Virtanen/Hansen

Etem - Horvat - Rodin/Virtanen/Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

Grenier/Zale

So, now we have split up 2 of our young players who have showed chemistry together. Put a possibly injured/ bubble player on the 2nd line, and the team looks no better then my suggested team.

Edited by shayster007

26 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Granlund has averaged over 10 goal pace for the last two years playing minimal minutes.  If he were to slide into a 3rd line role with high ozone starts he could be very effective in the 3c role. 

That top 6 has 5 players capable of scoring 20+ goal season. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 2

On 7/25/2016 at 5:49 PM, King Heffy said:

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier

Second line is pretty weak but is offensively minded.  Great checking 3rd liner and grinding 4th line that can provided a bit of offense.

Everyone keeps putting bo and bear together when wd has stated that they will not play together. And Sutter will be the 2nd line centre  from what JB has said. I also think Jake will be on over grenier. the guy is not good enough to push jake down. And I would switch Etem with burr, and see how the rest plays out.

Edited by bp79

On 7/25/2016 at 5:49 PM, King Heffy said:

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier

Second line is pretty weak but is offensively minded.  Great checking 3rd liner and grinding 4th line that can provided a bit of offense.

you also forgot about granny. If rodin and jake stick. I think Dorsett or hanson get's moved. There could be a trade for a top 6 winger as well. JB has already made it clear he wants a young proven top 6. So if we got that player then Hanson and dorsett would have to be gone. neither of those guys would fetch a proven young top 6 winger imho Maybe hanson could be part of some kind of deal, but dorsett wouldn't get us much. Either way should be fun to watch play out.

On 8/30/2016 at 1:51 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Baer & Gran, vs a 2nd & Shink.

We need to win this handily.

I think we already did. bear is legit. Granny is a good player and only 23, and Shink would have kept Gaunce down. imo Gaunce is beeter then shink. they put up similar numbers, and Gaunce can play anywhere, and can actually play defense. Plus where would shink play on the flames? my god if he somehow ends up on a line with jonny pee wee hockey. they would get creamed by guddy tree Edler etc. And the only time there in there back end is when they are either flying across the ice literally flying cuz they ran in into the concrete wall aka our D or when they are apologizing to elliot for allowing the 7th goal of the night, because they forgot that they are allowed to backcheck and won't trip over the blueline.. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2016 at 1:51 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Baer & Gran, vs a 2nd & Shink.

We need to win this handily.

Why not a fair hockey trade where both teams get players that suit their needs?

We'll never know what Vancouver would have chosen for the 2nd (Andersson looks like he'll be a good dman for Cal), but at the moment, the Canucks need the young, offensive minded W (Baer).  They picked up their pmd dman in Juolevi.

Shink and Grans look like a wash, but Vancouver gets the more versatile and NHL ready player.  Still don't know if Shinks can make the jump.  The Flames don't need him on their top 6 for the foreseeable future, so they may showcase him on their top line and then trade him.

A fairly even trade for both teams, which is the usual in the NHL these days.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I was confused about the Granlund trade in the first place and still am.  I feel he has a rather mediocre skillset (even though for some reason he is touted as being a supreme playmaker across the internet), and although many have thrown out the idea of the 4-line team, I just don't see him being physically built enough for a bottom role, nor skilled enough for a top role.

I can reluctantly appreciate if Benning felt Shinkaruk wasn't going to be a role player, but to me, Granlund doesn't seem to bring much to the table.  If we were going to trade Shinkaruk for a 4th line player, we might as well have gotten a big guy who could at least punish to opposing team.

We can only hope Benning saw upside potential in this guy and he'll have a breakout season.  Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Didn't forget about him, just don't want him anywhere near the lineup.

any reason why? He really should get a chance b4 you judge him. he may have a breakout year , or he could crash and burn, Regardless if you make up a mock lineup tthat you think they are going to roll with, You cant just delete them or your not creating a plausible lineup. that would be like inserting your fav player pld lol

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, I was confused about the Granlund trade in the first place and still am.  I feel he has a rather mediocre skillset  and although many have thrown out the idea of the 4-line team, I just don't see him being physically built enough for a bottom role, nor skilled enough for a top role.

I can reluctantly appreciate if Benning felt Shinkaruk wasn't going to be a role player, but to me, Granlund doesn't seem to bring much to the table.  If we were going to trade Shinkaruk for a 4th line player, we might as well have gotten a big guy who could at least punish to opposing team.

This is what I was thinking. Granny was on pace for '10' goals each of his last two seasons.I think we should cut our losses here if he still sucks by halloween and send him down, maybe Green can help him. 

43 minutes ago, bp79 said:

any reason why? He really should get a chance b4 you judge him. he may have a breakout year , or he could crash and burn, Regardless if you make up a mock lineup tthat you think they are going to roll with, You cant just delete them or your not creating a plausible lineup. that would be like inserting your fav player pld lol

He's not good enough at any one thing to justify a lineup spot.  Not good enough at faceoffs to play center.  Doesn't want to play wing.  Too soft for bottom six and not enough skill for top six.  Basically he's the next Ebbett and I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that fiasco.

Benning absolutely needs to get rid of him.  Waivers should be an option if he can't be traded.  It's on Benning for not bringing in an NHLer if this plug makes the team.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 2

He's real good in NHL16 Be a GM though right guys?

Honestly though, if you go back and watch his games, he is like any young player in the NHL good skill, a little undersized, good speed, and inconsistent. He's a faster and a little stronger version of Linden vey for me. Harder Shot too. 

• Upvote 1