The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT: Coyotes 2- Canucks 3 (ot)

86Viking

7 hours ago, brownky said:

watcI have to laugh. Watched the islanders and the first sharks. Both close losses... but I passed on the SJ HNIC game... we won. So I was like hey, maybe they're not miserable... turning that corner.

Then I watched the LA game. Nope, still miserable. Awful, awful.

So tonight I went to the gym instead and watched friends reruns on netflix... and they win.

Maybe the universe is telling me to watch more friends reruns. Or watch more for the tank. One or the other.

Hope it was a decent game anyway for those who did watch it.

I think most people feel they played a pretty solid game in LA.

I am loving our rookies. I am just unhappy we are stuck with so many older players that don't do a lot on the ice. Burrows, Vrbata, Barktowski, Weber and Miller. Miller is a goalie so I am not too worried about him but the others just seem to be taking a roster spot because they have experience and not based on how they are playing now. I believe you shouldn't hold onto players because of their past. Loyalty is a very big issue right now. You have to ask what's best for the team and the impression it makes on younger players who are trying their hardest down in the AHL to make the big club.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

As a long term loyal fan you should want whats best for the team.

Whats best for this team right now is a high draft pick whether you've come to terms with it or not.

No one is looking down on the Hawks for tanking now that they have 3 cups in 6 years.

The Hawks did not "tank". They had a greedy owner who wouldn't even broadcast local games because he felt it would effect his gate revenue. The Hawks were genuinely bad. It took two GM's and the owner passing away to change the culture there. Tallon and Bowman were the ones that built that team into a powerhouse. In fact the only time Chicago won the draft lottery 1st overall was in 2007. (They did win in 99 but they moved from 8th to 4th.) Things changed from 2002 when they drafted Duncan Keith in the second round. Crawford and Seabrook were taken 52nd and 14th overall in 2003. The other great pick was of course Toews in 2006. The funny part is Toews was the only good player in 2006 in the Hawk's draft. 

They've also had misses too. Cam Barker #3 in 2004, Kyle Beach at #11 in 2008. Chicago never tanked the way Buffalo last year, and Toronto did this year. 

Was at the game, row 4 behind the coyotes bench.  Was surprised how little their coach speaks, only their defensive coach said anything during the game and it was mostly directing players off a face off.  Also, their goalie was checking out the puck bunny sitting in front of me, keep your head in the game son.  It's was cool seeing the size differential, was really hoping for a fight but no dice.  All the canucks goals where scored at the other end.

Now as far as the atmosphere is concerned:

Music is still atrocious, and thinking back I didn't even notice any of the custom goal songs.  The songs where they cut out so the crowd can jump in has to go.  No one participates and for good reason.  I saw atleast 6 people get kicked out.  Unless they were sitting in the wrong seats it seemed un warranted.  We had the biggest hag in our section, two people in front of us took a selfie against the glass during a timeout and got warned.  Really?  Then she squats down during play impeded the view of some.  I think this is the biggest concern for me.  It's a little too strict which is why I always joke about Roger's Library.  I really hope this new management addresses this, I know they got a lot on their plate, because you really don't get much of a atmosphere anymore.  Seems your just expected to overpay, sit down and shut up and only cheer when prompted.

And translink bring back the 351 to White Rock.  It's a bitch getting to and fro the game now. 

21 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I liked Granlunds game tonight but we did play against one of the worst teams in the league. He's definetly gotta get bigger over the summer. Without weight you can't play in the western conference against the top teams.

imagine shinkaruk vs the Kings or Anaheim on the wing, playing a top 6 role, vs their best D men?  I think you have to be uber talented to prosper at a small size in those conditions.  Probably why Benning and co felt he was expendable.

9 hours ago, nuckfan82 said:

It is funny to see people bash Shinkaruk when he was NEVER GIVEN THE CHANCE TO PLAY WITH THE BIG CLUB. That is true is it not?

Perhaps he hadn't gotten to the point of earning that chance yet. The brass clearly didn't have much confidence in him, so why have him around?

9 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

This is my 13th year on this board, seen it all. But this season is truly the first time I've ever seen this whole 'tanknation'  crap so pervasive. And it is insulting to all long term and loyal Canucks fans. Not to mention our team on the ice.

Don't you think you're taking all this a bit too seriously? The Canucks aren't a very good team at this point, and making a lark about it all is a way of coping. I'm a long-term and loyal fan and I'm not bothered at all. When you're handed lemons...make lemonade.

8 hours ago, Stormriders said:

I will take your word for there only being a 2.5% difference between 5th and 8th of winning a top 3 pick, but I can't agree that it's a non-factor in finishing 8th vs. 5th.  At 5th, even if we don't get a top 3, it is highly possible we can get that defenseman we have always wanted.

Exactly. The Canucks could pick 6th and watch the guy they really want go at 5. Every spot counts, especially when you're angling for a defenceman.

One thing that jumped out for me was: we could sure use a player like Connauton. We had him, and gave up on him. Now, he looks like a very good NHL D. He's a LHD mind you, but he has size and can shoot the puck. He also has a mean streak, which our D desperately lacks. Looking forward to seeing what Tryamkin can do. Even if it's just his presence on the ice.

Virtanen laid a nice hit in the game, but also got wrangled by Doan, I thought that was a really dirty play by Doan. Was hoping the Canucks would lose in regulation, because you know... but still nice to see a victory. Happy for Granlund to score his 1st for the Canucks.

9 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

This is my 13th year on this board, seen it all. But this season is truly the first time I've ever seen this whole 'tanknation'  crap so pervasive. And it is insulting to all long term and loyal Canucks fans. Not to mention our team on the ice.

Gallows humour.

lighten up.

-longtime fan

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

As a long term loyal fan you should want whats best for the team.

Whats best for this team right now is a high draft pick whether you've come to terms with it or not.

No one is looking down on the Hawks for tanking now that they have 3 cups in 6 years.

We DO want what's best for the team, I high draft pick doesn't gauruntee anything, welcome to the new lottery format.  What's best for this team is the kids to play hard, the chips will fall where they may.  As long as the kids are playing hard, learning. 

THAT is what's best for this team.  So get behind your team and cheer them on, they deserve it.  Stop crying over your precious draft picks being lost cause they played well last night.. What is this? Lord of the Rings?  My precious, my precious!  SMH

BTW you all can stop with the Chicago comparisons, as we've been asked to stop making the comparison to Edmonton.  FTR Chicago NEVER tanked.. They sucked for over a decade!  Is THAT what's best for the team ??

28 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Don't you think you're taking all this a bit too seriously? The Canucks aren't a very good team at this point, and making a lark about it all is a way of coping. I'm a long-term and loyal fan and I'm not bothered at all. When you're handed lemons...make lemonade.

I think we can all take the jokes but what I think Cer is saying is don't be mad cause we won, don't complain, not saying you are but some in here get pretty annoyed when we win.  Which is crazy talk.  We should be supporting our team if we are "true" fans no?

5 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

I think we can all take the jokes but what I think Cer is saying is don't be mad cause we won, don't complain, not saying you are but some in here get pretty annoyed when we win.  Which is crazy talk.  We should be supporting our team if we are "true" fans no?

I think the majority of posters in the gdt are just having a laugh at this point. Myself included. Jokes are fun.

i want the highest pick possible but I am thrilled to see our new core have on ice success.

in the meanwhile I'm down with tank humour.

57 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Was at the game, row 4 behind the coyotes bench.  Was surprised how little their coach speaks, only their defensive coach said anything during the game and it was mostly directing players off a face off.  Also, their goalie was checking out the puck bunny sitting in front of me, keep your head in the game son.  It's was cool seeing the size differential, was really hoping for a fight but no dice.  All the canucks goals where scored at the other end.

Now as far as the atmosphere is concerned:

Music is still atrocious, and thinking back I didn't even notice any of the custom goal songs.  The songs where they cut out so the crowd can jump in has to go.  No one participates and for good reason.  I saw atleast 6 people get kicked out.  Unless they were sitting in the wrong seats it seemed un warranted.  We had the biggest hag in our section, two people in front of us took a selfie against the glass during a timeout and got warned.  Really?  Then she squats down during play impeded the view of some.  I think this is the biggest concern for me.  It's a little too strict which is why I always joke about Roger's Library.  I really hope this new management addresses this, I know they got a lot on their plate, because you really don't get much of a atmosphere anymore.  Seems your just expected to overpay, sit down and shut up and only cheer when prompted.

And translink bring back the 351 to White Rock.  It's a bitch getting to and fro the game now. 

The 351 doesn't go to White Rock?

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

One thing that jumped out for me was: we could sure use a player like Connauton. We had him, and gave up on him. Now, he looks like a very good NHL D. He's a LHD mind you, but he has size and can shoot the puck. He also has a mean streak, which our D desperately lacks.

We have Bartkowski, he's close enough.

10 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I don't understand the mindset either Cerridwen. If we get a higher pick from losing, that's just where the chips are gonna fall- I'm not going to cheer for it and it goes against the spirit of competition. It's like the latest "fad" for fans nowadays and it's about as cool as skinny jeans on overweight men imo.

9 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

No, like riff says, it's all the same thing. Just mock-complaints...nothing sinister.

Archived