The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT: Coyotes 2- Canucks 3 (ot)

86Viking

I have to laugh. Watched the islanders and the first sharks. Both close losses... but I passed on the SJ HNIC game... we won. So I was like hey, maybe they're not miserable... turning that corner.

Then I watched the LA game. Nope, still miserable. Awful, awful.

So tonight I went to the gym instead and watched friends reruns on netflix... and they win.

Maybe the universe is telling me to watch more friends reruns. Or watch more for the tank. One or the other.

Hope it was a decent game anyway for those who did watch it.

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

There is only a 2.5% difference between 5th and 8th place in terms of winning one of the top 3 picks. So I'm okay with an 8th pick. If it's better then we get a bit better odds. But unless you're top 3 which is not gonna happen for us then it's almost a non-factor in finishing 8th versus 5th. Look at Edmonton last year. They were able to move up.  So anything is possible with a lottery. 

I will take your word for there only being a 2.5% difference between 5th and 8th of winning a top 3 pick, but I can't agree that it's a non-factor in finishing 8th vs. 5th.  At 5th, even if we don't get a top 3, it is highly possible we can get that defenseman we have always wanted.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Granlund had an excellent game topped off by the game winning goal.

Haters keep hating.

I think Granlund is playing well and making a believer out of me..I like what he is doing out there and this from a Shinkaruk fan..I think Granlund has a place on this team..its Etem Im not so sure of.

15 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

I will take your word for there only being a 2.5% difference between 5th and 8th of winning a top 3 pick, but I can't agree that it's a non-factor in finishing 8th vs. 5th.  At 5th, even if we don't get a top 3, it is highly possible we can get that defenseman we have always wanted.

Odds to Win First Pick at NHL Draft Lottery:

30th – 20 percent
29th – 13.5 percent
28th – 11.5 percent
27th – 9.5 percent
26th – 8.5 percent
25th – 7.5 percent
24th – 6.5 percent
23rd – 6 percent
22nd – 5 percent
21st – 3.5 percent
20th – 3 percent
19th – 2.5 percent
18th – 2 percent
17th – 1 percent

Yes I agree we get a better shot at the player we want at 5th.  However there are at least 4 defencemen in this draft that can go in the top 10.  Which one turns out to be the best is anyone's guess.  It's a crap shoot and JB said the players ranked 4-10 are interchangeable so that's means he may like more than one defenceman.  Who knows.  If Chychrun is the guy then yeah he may well be gone at 8 but Juolevi or Sergachev may be there.  

2 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

I still am pinching myself to make sure I heard Shorty correctly, weber-to Vrbata-through the defense-dekes to the backhand-GOAAL!

It was a surprise alright. I was at the game tonight, which certainly gives a different perspective from TV as you get a chance to see what players do without the puck as well as with the puck. I don't think Vrby or Weber played well apart from that play, however.

I was pleased to see Hutton picked as second star as I thought he was the best Canuck skater on the ice, followed by Baertschi. But Marky deserved the first star pick. Tonight was a familiar pattern in the NHL -- a close game and the team with the better goalie won. And Virtanen had a good game.

On the negative side, Horvat is struggling and his line had a poor shift on the second Arizona goal. As Vrby went +1 tonight, Bo has taken over the lead for the green jacket again. I thought McCann also struggled.

I believe that Arizona has been the worst team in the NHL since Christmas (even worse than Toronto, although they are close). So getting a narrow victory does not exactly mean the Canucks had a good game. And getting 2 points does more harm than good right now. But if the Canucks play like they did tonight they won't win a lot of games against good teams down the stretch. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We're only 5 points up on Winnipeg with a very tough month ahead, in which we play them twice.

Getting into the top 3 is still very possible.

I'm not seeing a top 3 pick unless we win the lotto. At least the kids are playing well while we are riddled with injuries. I'd love if we lost the 2 to Winnipeg though and they overtook us. 

37 minutes ago, JamesB said:

On the negative side, Horvat is struggling and his line had a poor shift on the second Arizona goal. As Vrby went +1 tonight, Bo has taken over the lead for the green jacket again. I thought McCann also struggled.

Thats because WD is a jackass. Whenever Horvat gets going and develops chemistry with a line, WD changes it. 

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Tryamkin cannot play in Utica this season -- his signing came after the deadline.  He is with the Canucks for the rest of the way.

He's not even here yet, let alone getting in practice time.  Even if he looks great and fully ready, he's still at least a week away.  It's not only a new team but a whole new league but whole new country.

Tryamkin's contract is NHL or he have an out clause that allows him to get out of his contract and go back to the KHL so Utica is out of the question. Unless he's willing which is highly unlikely

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

How's Shinkaruk doing in Calgary?  Oh yeah, not good enough to make the roster of the 4th-worst team.

NHL player >>>>>>>>> AHL player

I will go with Bob Mack's outlook on the trade, it will take 4 years to see who got the best of this deal. Lots of gloating going on on both sides of this. Both players will be entering their prime about then.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

As a long term loyal fan you should want whats best for the team.

Whats best for this team right now is a high draft pick whether you've come to terms with it or not.

No one is looking down on the Hawks for tanking now that they have 3 cups in 6 years.

Hawks didn't nessarily tank. They won the lotto with Kane (they finished 5th tied with 6th) and with toews they we're 9 points ahead of the last placed blues. They also went out that season to sign the reigning Stanley cup winning goalie. If they were trying to tank they didn't do a very good on ice job. Had they actually tanked in 06 they may had been sitting with J.Staal or Johnson instead of Toews and how would that have turned out. There fans must have been pissed that the team didn't lose more since that's what's best for the team right?

Hawks just happened to luck out and drafted the best captian since Stevie Y at 3rd overall and win the lotto the next year.  

Archived