The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Crazy Proposal] Vancouver-Detroit

Detroit just doesn't seem to be the type of team to trade Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall. How about giving Detroit some vet firepower and give the Twins a chance to make one final hurrah. Daniel and Henrik, Edler. Wait before you either start laughing or get offended, or just think this is stupid hear me out. 

With Richards, Helm, Miller and Quincey all gone that gives the Red Wings $11.1 million in cap space. We do the unthinkable. We trade the Sedins, and Edler half salary retained. For 2016 1st and 2nd rounder, 2017, 1st rounder, and 3rd rounder, and in 2018, a 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

The Wings still save $2.1 million. Get way more offence. And get to hang on to Edler for a few more years. Considering the Red Wings will be middle of the pack draft picks, that's not a bad way to give its core two more years. The Sedins and Edler get to be in the East which might be better suited for their game. 

I doubt it will happen. But it's better than seeing players (and fans?) giving up and just playing out the string here. Do I want them to retire here? Yes. But I don't want them to go through another 1-2 seasons of this, no. 

I am under the belief that a team can only have 3 players salaries being used as part of a trade at any given time.

we have luongos salary tied up for one of them and I'd assume we'd want to reserve some of that for possible rental trades. Anyways I'd rather have the sedins here advocating a winning culture and doing the right things on and off the ice.

(I'm on my phone so not going to double check my point here so please someone prove me right or wrong lol)

Red Wing teams of years past may have tried to pull off something this massive. When they were consistent contenders, they loved going after "washed up" vets like Modano, Bertuzzi, Weiss, etc.

At this point Detroit seems like they are rebuilding on the fly, lots of decent young talent now coming up.

Also, I do not think Edler will ever waive his no trade clause :) 

12 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Red Wing teams of years past may have tried to pull off something this massive. When they were consistent contenders, they loved going after "washed up" vets like Modano, Bertuzzi, Weiss, etc.

At this point Detroit seems like they are rebuilding on the fly, lots of decent young talent now coming up.

Also, I do not think Edler will ever waive his no trade clause :) 

Oh, he'll waive. And he'll smile while doing it!

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Detroit just doesn't seem to be the type of team to trade Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall. How about giving Detroit some vet firepower and give the Twins a chance to make one final hurrah. Daniel and Henrik, Edler. Wait before you either start laughing or get offended, or just think this is stupid hear me out. 

With Richards, Helm, Miller and Quincey all gone that give the Red Wings $11.1 million in cap space. We do the unthinkable. We trade the Sedins, and Edler half salary retained. For 2016 1st and 2nd rounder, 2017, 1st rounder, and 3rd rounder, and in 2018, a 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

The Wings still save $2.1 million. Get way more offence. And get to hang on to Edler for a few more years. Considering the Red Wings will be middle of the pack draft picks, that's not a bad way to give its core two more years. The Sedins and Edler get to be in the East which might be better suited for their game. 

I doubt it will happen. But it's better than seeing players (and fans?) giving up and just playing out the string here. Do I want them to retire here? Yes. But I don't want them to go through another 1-2 seasons of this, no. 

That would make Detroit a definate Cup contender.  That leaves a HUGE void in our team though. Do we have any forward prospects ready to take the Twin's minutes against the other team's top players?  

First why would the wings do this.  They basically just gave up their future for one more kick at the can.  Sedins wouldn’t even gaurentee them a cup.  They’d still need a lot to happen, and if they don’t win a cup then they are left with nothing.  There's is a reason why most people don’t take there’s life savings to Vegas, it doesn’t work out most of the time.

Second, If this trade did happen, Basically we’d have moved Sedins + Edler for 2x (1st round picks) in the 20+ range.  2x (2nd round picks) in the 50+ range and a 3rd round pick.  Is that really something canucks will benefit a great deal from.  Are any of these picks players we’d likely be able to build a core from?  Are those picks enough of a benefit to the team that we’d lose out the perfect mentors?

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

With Richards, Helm, Miller and Quincey all gone that gives the Red Wings $11.1 million in cap space. We do the unthinkable. We trade the Sedins, and Edler half salary retained. For 2016 1st and 2nd rounder, 2017, 1st rounder, and 3rd rounder, and in 2018, a 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

Retaining salary and losing valuable talent hamstrings our ability with the salary cap.  Would you like to pay out money for players that are not contributing to your team but costing you money as well.  Not good business.  More like selling half your truck to a friend and letting him keep the truck and you do not have the right to use it.   Remember we are still paying 800k for Luongo and that causes cap issues as well.

Trades are trades but retaining salary for something that is certainly not a guarantee in the way of picks is not logical at all.  Who knows if the picks work out but you are still buying them and are putting even more money out to develop them.  

Archived