The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Swedish article about Canucks future

supermanbieksa

5 hours ago, supermanbieksa said:

Thought you guys would be interested in knowing what European/Swedish media is writing about Vancouver. So I'll just summarise the article for you. If you want to read the whole article try to google translate it and ask me if you have any questions what he means.

http://www.viasatsport.se/bloggar/lindquists-nhl-blogg/ledsen-vancouver-fans-inget-lag-kommer-ha-det-varre-er-de-kommande-fem-aren/

Can start of with the headline.

"Sorry Vancouver-fans, no team will have it worse than you the next five years"

-  He goes on to mention the Sedins, and how they kept Vancouver in the playoff position. But how it was inevitable to miss the playoffs anyways. He also mentions Daniels comments after the St.Louis game, and how frustrated the Sedins must be when they actually shows their frustration to the media. Which isn't very Sedin like.  

-  He describes the future as "The ass-suckiest future of all teams in the NHL."  He says our prospect pool is weak, where Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Tryamkin are our future core. He thinks they'll become good NHLers, but not players you win the cup with. He compares that core with teams in our division. And comes the conclusion that Flames, Coyotes and Oilers have much brighter futures. As our pool is "paler than a British cave scientist"  He adds that he might be over exaggerating. 

-  Thinks that Vancouver is the team that is most likely to miss the playoffs for the five next years. 

-  Crisitsises Vancouver and Bennings trade deadline. Not being able to move either Hamhuis or Vrbata makes him look really incompetent. Also mentions the Aquilini family, and the rumours that they are involved in Bennings business. Which is bad... 

I don't think he's enterily wrong nor correct and he misses to mention players like Boeser, Demko, Baerschi and Hutton as a part of our future core. But he's right when he talks about missing the top prospects. 

Wellwell, hope you enjoyed the summary. And as i said, if he you want further translation, just ask. 

The Muppet Show gig is getting that thin that the Swedish Chef is attempting sporting articles?

You mean the second year into a 5-10 year rebuild / retool is mired in ass-sucking? Seriously? Tell me more about this ass-suckidness thing, is it real? More real than the tossed salad they've been serving up for the last 4 years?

I thought Gillis left JB with a stacked deck and this $#it was gonna be easy, really easy!?

All he has to do is strip this team all the way down, get rid of a long ass sucky list of ass sucky vets who don't even have a third gear, with ass sucky NTC's; in less than two years. No effing problem eh. 

A whole ass sucky buttload of coasters, floaters and klingons. Whatever, the Swedish media sucks just as much ass as our hemroid whisperers out here.

The Oilers and Flames started their rebuild long before the Canucks have. The Flames have Gaudreau. Monahan and Bennett up front, and Hamilton and Jokipakka on the backend. Oilers have McDavid, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Draisaitl up front and Nurse and Reinhart on the backend. Plus, the Flames and Oilers will also be getting a high pick this year. We're just starting our rebuild. Hopefully we're able to draft a player like Laine or Puljujarvi. I do believe that Benning will right this ship before the Flames and Oilers though. I'm not too concerned, the Canucks have some really good young players/prospects as well. Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi, Hutton and Tryamkin. Add a player like Puljujarvi to that mix and we really have something promising. 

Lindquist is a pretty decent writer. Seems like a pretty well-informed guy which can't always be said about every swedish guy that writes about the NHL. That being said, i think he's exaggerating quite a bit. It seems like guys like Demko and Boeser have fallen off the radar here for some reason, since neither of them were top10 picks which "defines" a "great prospect", and since neither of them are in the NHL right now. Demko is considered one of the best goalie prospects outside the NHL, Boeser has made some serious noise in the NCAA and should be considered a really good prospect. He mentions Tryamkin, but doesn't mention Hutton, a guy that should without a doubt be rated higher than Tryamkin right now.

I don't think this team will contend for the cup in quite some time, i think we will be in the mix for a top10 pick next year as well. But he's making it sound like the Canucks will be the next Oilers or something, saying no team will have a tougher time than us the upcoming 5 years. I agree that there's some serious high-profile players in our division that is tough to match, but teams like the Ducks, Kings and Sharks will most likely start declining in a few years as well. I don't see those teams getting better, but rather the opposite.

5 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Swedish Botchford isn't any better than regular Botchford.

You, sir/madam, deserve my rep.

I do disagree that we will be the worst but I can't disagree with his opinion on Benning. He has not instilled a lot of confidence with his moves/lack of moves. Like others have said I do not think he is very trade saavy and I do not trust his asset management/assessment. And don't get my started on his right hand man Weisbrod...

Botchford was on 1040 today again about how they need to trade the twins.(He is an idiot) The twins are what is stopping the Canucks from being the Oilers. This article is some what right. We are many years from being a contender or maybe even making the playoffs. We have some really good young players that will be a big part of the future core but no real game breakers as of yet. The twins seem to be vested in the future of this club and will play a big role in helping to develop some of the youth into pros.

This club is rebuilding from the ground up. We will not be a team in transition any more. You will see a very young team next year and with that  will come a lot of up and down times. Those who think that one top prospect this year will solve our problems may be very disappointed. 

Just adding a couple of UFA's is also not the solution. Linden has it right when saying that there is no quick fix. This organization has always looked for that and it is truly time for them to do this the right way for once.  

He's right about the management being incompetent, not trading Hamhuis and Vrbata.

Vrbata's stock could have been rebuilt if we put him back on the top line a month or so before the trade deadline, motivated him and showed he can be a .5 PPG player and contribute to a top 6 lineup and PP unit.

3 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

He's right about the management being incompetent, not trading Hamhuis and Vrbata.

Vrbata's stock could have been rebuilt if we put him back on the top line a month or so before the trade deadline, motivated him and showed he can be a .5 PPG player and contribute to a top 6 lineup and PP unit.

Vrbata has obviously had a nagging injury for some time. Why would anyone give anything of value? You can't hide their injuries. 

6 hours ago, supermanbieksa said:

Of course it's impossible to predict the future, for all we know Grenier could pot 30 goals next year. But it's not likely. He actually adds that good drafting could potentially change the outcome. But I found that irrelevant, because thats like saying "water is wet".

Thanks for the OP. It is interesting to get an outside view from an interested by relatively objective observer. To me the key point is what has been worrying me all year -- the lack of potential franchise players. I agree that the young core all project as "good NHLers" -- including Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann, etc -- but it no one projects as a future star. Of course it could happen, but on the basis of current trajectories, that is missing. If we look at the top young 20 or 25 players who have come out of the draft over the past 5 or 6 years, I would say that none of them are with the Canucks. 

It is of course very hard to get those players when you are drafting low, which shows the importance of getting high draft picks. This year is a good opportunity, but obviously there is a big premium to drafting in the top 3 this year, although #4 through #8 should all be very good picks as long as Benning sticks to taking the BPA.

2 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

He's still played the pp with the Sedins just like last year. And last year he spent at least half the season on the 2nd line. For whatever reason he just hasn't been as good this year.

It's hilarious how these so called "experts" like Ron Maclean keep talking how the Oilers will be the best team in 5 years because of their prospects. Tell me what will be different then from now?

Will solid NHL players sign in Edmonton? LOL. No they will keep being in the bottom 5 of the league. 

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Vrbata has obviously had a nagging injury for some time. Why would anyone give anything of value? You can't hide their injuries. 

I'm not saying we should have got a 1st or 2nd round pick, like we would have gotten if he played like last season. But if we pumped up his value a bit I think we could have squeezed out a later pick. Maybe 4th round +, it would at least give us a chance to find a diamond in the rough.

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think I trust Benning's scouting ability more than this guys.

What everyone here has a hard time understanding is that even the best scouting in the history of the universe still has a 5-10 year lag time. How can you guys say anything Benning has drafted is a success? It's way too early for that. It's up to the organization to properly develop. A great pick means absolutely nothing if they aren't developed properly. 

My biggest fear is that Benning will spend all of his cap space on UFA's to allow us to climb in the standings and prolong our mediocrely.  

Archived