The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames recall Shinkaruk

43 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Yep, great job Jimbo! Surely he won't be able to score in the pro level and transition his game. Not like multiple dozens of others his stature have done this before or anything...

but hey, at least we have the 4th line grinder who is a NHLer.

It's real shame you jump to bash Benning before confirmed that he actually scored the goal, huh?

Sweet assist bro, Granlund had one in his first game with the Canucks as well.

It's not just the hit or the assist,

This guy attracts attention, plays with spark, takes risks, he HUNGRY for the spotlight it wasn't just Van media that was reporting on the call-up the national shows picked it up as well.

Why? The same reason so many of us are angry about the trade,

Shink for whatever his faults are seems to carry himself like a star, he has unmistakable "IT" factor

That doesn't mean he WILL be a star, but he has the unmistakable aura of someone with the potential to be one, and believe you this: He's going to TRY to be one.

Grandlund will not, he is a hockey player, he will play hockey within his means and nothing more, he may be good but he will never be a star, nor will he try to become one.

THAT is why this trade sucks, because hockey = entertainment nothing more nothing less, and entertainment is made "pay-worthy" by the stars not the extras,

Benning with his scouting fetish lost sight of that, he was too busy looking at x's and o's and forgot that a scout only thinks about hockey, a GM must look at the hockey BUSINESS

And quite frankly, I know for a fact Trev understands all this, and I'm willing to guess wasn't %100 on the trade either but decided not to interfere with his new GM,

Turns out he may not have one, just the highest paid scout in the league.

Horrible trade

The Canucks could have got Granlund for a 4th or 3rd round pick when CGY would have tried to trade him before they had to put him on waivers next season. But Weisbrod wants to move our Top prospect AHL team leading goal scorer 

This is another idiot blunder move by Weisbrod, next he will be trying to acquire Jankowski 

I....I'm just not going to do this.  I had my say about this and like almost everyone else who is/was or will always be against this trade we got ridiculed and mocked.

Because you know, apparently our foresight is nothing compared to every body elses and we have no clue what we're talking about because we needed another player at position Y and not another player like Shinkaruk.

This trade will come back to bite us 6 times a year.  And I hope every single time it does Shinkaruk plays us with the fire he promised to make the flames regret when they didn't draft him

10 minutes ago, smokes said:

Same thing happens to me when I still see Hammer in a Canucks uniform

Same thing happens to me when I see half our roster... can't even blame this as something JB inherited as the majority of the players are now "his guys."

20 hours ago, Devon Jade said:

Hat-trick first game against the Canucks... Then JB gets demoted to Head Scout right after.

As long as he is demoted AFTER THE DRAFT! 

23 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Wish him nothing but the best of luck and success. Even though he was a huge Flames fan growing up, you could tell on his draft day interview how pumped up he was to be a Canuck.

He was also pretty clearly devastated by the trade.  No question that he was all in with this organization during his time here. 

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I....I'm just not going to do this.  I had my say about this and like almost everyone else who is/was or will always be against this trade we got ridiculed and mocked.

Because you know, apparently our foresight is nothing compared to every body elses and we have no clue what we're talking about because we needed another player at position Y and not another player like Shinkaruk.

This trade will come back to bite us 6 times a year.  And I hope every single time it does Shinkaruk plays us with the fire he promised to make the flames regret when they didn't draft him

Too many people on this forum believe that Benning can do no wrong. There are also a few (Desi) who believe that everything he touches is a disaster. None of those people are worth paying attention to.

I agree with you, not one of Benning's best moves. To me his tenure has been such a mixed bag. I am not a fan of a number of his moves but I am not one to believe the sky is falling either.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Too many people on this forum believe that Benning can do no wrong. There are also a few (Desi) who believe that everything he touches is a disaster. None of those people are worth paying attention to.

I agree with you, not one of Benning's best moves. To me his tenure has been such a mixed bag. I am not a fan of a number of his moves but I am not one to believe the sky is falling either.

There's only 4.5 moves of bennings I consider honestly angering or questionable

1.  Gilman

2.  Weisebrod/Delorme

3.  Shinkaruk

4.  Vey

4.5.  Garrison

Aside from that it's really his dollar amounts per signings that leave me scratching my head.

But the Shinkaruk one is troublesome for so many reasons.  most of which is our lack of depth at that position, our complete lack of offensive players in any position, our glut of Branlund/Baertschi/Vey type players (prospects and vets)

You see that fire, passion and sheer enjoyment of the game.  And then you see the twins' post game comments, hell...most of our vets' post game comments and they're devoid of ANY actual fire or passion.  And THAT is the most angering thing of all.  All of that fire, passion and energy in a position we need and...we trade it for redundancy and then turn around and manage to do nothing during the TDL.

Frustrating.

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's only 4.5 moves of bennings I consider honestly angering or questionable

1.  Gilman

2.  Weisebrod/Delorme

3.  Shinkaruk

4.  Vey

4.5.  Garrison

Aside from that it's really his dollar amounts per signings that leave me scratching my head.

But the Shinkaruk one is troublesome for so many reasons.  most of which is our lack of depth at that position, our complete lack of offensive players in any position, our glut of Branlund/Baertschi/Vey type players (prospects and vets)

You see that fire, passion and sheer enjoyment of the game.  And then you see the twins' post game comments, hell...most of our vets' post game comments and they're devoid of ANY actual fire or passion.  And THAT is the most angering thing of all.  All of that fire, passion and energy in a position we need and...we trade it for redundancy and then turn around and manage to do nothing during the TDL.

Frustrating.

My list is a bit different. 

-Miller (would have preferred say Niskanen and a lesser vet/Lack tandem, then this year, a Markstrom/Lack tandem). I would have spent those dollars differently.

Given where we are in a rebuild, I'd have preferred a more proactive approach with expiring assets (Matthias/ Hamhuis) and at least considering selling high on guys like Vrbata last summer. Though that's largely a small knit to pick particularly given context.

I have pretty much zero issues with most of your list there, especially Garrison:lol: Otherwise, I don't have a lot of complaints as yet.

Shink, I'm mostly puzzled by the timing of it more so than the move itself. Granlund granted is likely a safer bet to actually have an NHL career, otherwise they're largely a wash. We gave up a bit of ceiling for  more likelihood. Largely a wash IMO (as much as I LOVE Hunter and his obvious zeal).

But I don't know why there was such urgency to do it given we didn't REALLY need Granlund. Not to mention it certainly didn't help Utica out either. I'd have preferred to package him this summer if we truly didn't see a future for him here. Edler + a likely AHL playoff contributing Shink surely would have been a good first offer for a nice D piece one would think...

18 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

what about benning fumbling through contracts left right and center, or bungling the beiksa trade to san jose where he forgot to ask which year he was getting his draft pick?  Its that kind of stuff that has me worried about more so then losing second rounders to eventual busts

That's why I had Gilman 1st on my list.  Gilman was/is an absolute genius.  More than a lawyer, more than an accountant.  The guy lived and breathed CBA and contract resolution.

To date Lindenning have done little if anything we can sit back at and just shake our heads knowing it's a bad move as everything they've done has fit in the getting younger keeping vets in the process promises we've been given.

I'll give Benning his 3 years before I truly jump on him, but this Hunter thing bites at me

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

Saying they were going to be a puck possession team this year and a playoff contender, then rebuild on the fly, which has quietly been dissolved to full on rebuild.   Season ticket holders have been ONCE BITTEN, we know what follows from that.

Injuries kind of played a part in that...

A healthy Sutter/Hamhuis/Edler/Tanev/Hank and we're quite likely a playoff team as management indicated was the plan.

Though I will agree that considering all of that ^^^, we were still getting mixed messages leading up to the TDL when it was pretty clear to most this wasn't our year... 

Archived