The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The NHL MUST address the NCAA free agency issue.

Matt_T83

Jimmy Vesey is the latest prospect to become a free agent after his NCAA hockey career.  You have to feel for the Nashville Predators here... and to be honest, this is getting ridiculous.  It seems like virtually every college hockey player these days goes to free agency.

It's such a ridiculous system.  If a player signs an NHL contract, they are immediately disallowed to play college hockey.  A lot of these players want to play college hockey and get their degree; why wouldn't they?  The problem is, once they finish their college hockey career, they are essentially NHL free agents.

I think there should be some rule that if an NHL team offers a prospect a maxed out entry level contract (3 years at max money), that they cannot lose the rights to a drafted player.  In other words, if one of these NCAA brats were offered an ELC at max money, they wouldn't be able to play in the NHL again until they agreed to that contract. 

Obviously I'm biased here because we have two college hockey players in our system...  How much of a disaster would it be if we lost both Thatcher Demko and Brock Boeser to this NCAA free agency?  The scary thing is this is a very likely scenario.

The question is, can anything be done?  To me this is something that would need to be addressed in a CBA, which is signed and locked up until 2022.

10 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

Obviously I'm biased here because we have two college hockey players in our system...  How much of a disaster would it be if we lost both Thatcher Demko and Brock Boeser to this NCAA free agency?  The scary thing is this is a very likely scenario.

This is in no way a very likely scenario.

Vessey is choosing to play in Toronto, his brother has been drafted by the Laffs and the Leafs hired his dad in a clear attempt to circumvent interference/tampering rules by using Family.

Boeser and Demko will be offered maxxed deals by the Canucks and will even become UFA's a year sooner...They will both sign in Vancouver and worry wart fans and petulant smut peddling Van city sports writers will have to find something else to OCD over.

I think that whenever this happens to a team that they should get a compensatory pick from the team that the player signs with. And the round should correspond to whatever round the player was drafted. That way they get fair value, plus it probably prevents other teams from wanting to sign one of these guys, kinda forcing them to sign with their original team. 

It just sucks to think that the more this happens, the more it gets college players thinking. I mean it seems like a pretty sweet deal to get to play wherever you want after you finish school. Especially if you have friends, family in a city.

Or you get drafted by Edmonton

While it happens, it's not so much that there needs to be immediate action. Besides, I don't think it's an issue the NHLPA is in a rush to fix, and they're one half of the people needed to agree to a new CBA/changes.

It's funny because Vesey told Nashville not once, but three times in the last few weeks that he was going to sign with them.

Just goes to show what kind of guy he is. I honestly don't think this has anything to do with the rules and more to do with the actual player.

In contrast, Michael Matheson, Florida's first rounder in 2012, drafted out of Boston College, made his Panthers debut, and is currently playing for their AHL affiliate.

Brady Skjei, Rangers' first rounder in 2012, drafted out of U. of Minnesota, currently playing for NYR's AHL affiliate Hartford, made his Rangers debut.

The NHL doesn't need to change it's rules, they just need to reach an agreement with the NCAA that players can sign ELC while still going to College.  I know there is issues in the NCAA with people getting paid, but if organizations are transparent with the money and the player can have it deferred until after they leave school, perhaps that's the solution.  Then, if a player doesn't a sign, they reenter the draft like other players after 2 years.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

It's funny because Vesey told Nashville not once, but three times in the last few weeks that he was going to sign with them.

Hearsay, he said, he said type scenario. But who's telling the truth.   :excl:

9 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Nope, that would be the Board of Governors. 

Not when it's a draft issue, don't think that's a BOG thing. They look at bigger issues. They might have to sign off on it and Gary as much I hate him has influence over the BOG.

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not when it's a draft issue, don't think that's a BOG thing. They look at bigger issues. They might have to sign off on it and Gary as much I hate him has influence over the BOG.

The BOG consists primarily of team owners. You better believe that if they think they're getting hosed by college draft picks that they'll tell Bettman what they want done, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The NHL doesn't need to change it's rules, they just need to reach an agreement with the NCAA that players can sign ELC while still going to College.  I know there is issues in the NCAA with people getting paid, but if organizations are transparent with the money and the player can have it deferred until after they leave school, perhaps that's the solution.  Then, if a player doesn't a sign, they reenter the draft like other players after 2 years.

This is perfect.

all they would receive, if anything, would be a signing bonus until they report to the minors system.  From which they could be exempted while in college?

3 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

Jimmy Vesey is the latest prospect to become a free agent after his NCAA hockey career.  You have to feel for the Nashville Predators here... and to be honest, this is getting ridiculous.  It seems like virtually every college hockey player these days goes to free agency.

It's such a ridiculous system.  If a player signs an NHL contract, they are immediately disallowed to play college hockey.  A lot of these players want to play college hockey and get their degree; why wouldn't they?  The problem is, once they finish their college hockey career, they are essentially NHL free agents.

I think there should be some rule that if an NHL team offers a prospect a maxed out entry level contract (3 years at max money), that they cannot lose the rights to a drafted player.  In other words, if one of these NCAA brats were offered an ELC at max money, they wouldn't be able to play in the NHL again until they agreed to that contract. 

The question is, can anything be done?  To me this is something that would need to be addressed in a CBA, which is signed and locked up until 2022.

Brock, I don't know. Thatcher, I'm confident that we can keep him. I do think that there is a way to solve this, a player must spend two years with the team that drafted him order to go to free agency. 

Archived