The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre-Luc Dubois Vs Matthew Tkachuk

If we hold the 4th overall pick...  

215 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about Montreal moves up to four to take Dubois, and Phoenix moves up to five to take Tkatchuk?  I think you might have something here DeNiro.  Both us and Edmonton really need D, so this could happen.

I think it's most likely that Tkachuk is taken at 4. His hype is just continuing to go up in the Memorial Cup.

So if Montreal was willing to make a big offer like Juulsen, Thrower, and #9, I think that would benefit us more in the long run. We would be able to fill out our D prospect depth in one draft essentially.

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think it's most likely that Tkachuk is taken at 4. His hype is just continuing to go up in the Memorial Cup.

So if Montreal was willing to make a big offer like Juulsen, Thrower, and #9, I think that would benefit us more in the long run. We would be able to fill out our D prospect depth in one draft essentially.

You made this old man smile with hope.  I would love to see that occur.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don't know.........this is a legitimate chance at drafting a star.  I don't see anything that isn't weighed heavily in Vans favour as being worth it and I don't see an offer like that as even close.

I agree that if the Oilers take Tkachuk it changes things.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't know.........this is a legitimate chance at drafting a star.  I don't see anything that isn't weighed heavily in Vans favour as being worth it and I don't see an offer like that as even close.

Adding Sergachyev, Chychrun, or Fabbro (all potential top pairing guys), Juulsen (top 4 guy), and Thrower (top 6 guy) to our prospect pool isn't worth it?

I would say that goes alot further in filling out the future roster than a top 6 left winger would.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don't know why I keep having second thoughts about Dubois. something just screams average second line player to me.

I guess i was hoping for guaranteed first line talent in this years draft, but that likely won't be there when we pick.

Maybe we should be trading back for a D-man if Tkachuk is gone.

There's lots of second guessing about both PLD and MT lately....Tkachuk's skating (or lack thereof)..PLD plays in the Q(so he's more likely to be a bust)....etc.

The Dmen are probably more of a risk ....IMO...None of them are considered 1st pairing (according to Benning)..You could just as easily wind up with a player like Luca Sbisa (who was a highly touted junior, and was picked in the 1st round),who is serviceable....but would be a rotten consolation after finishing 28th,and losing the lottery.

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Adding Sergachyev, Chychrun, or Fabbro (all potential top pairing guys), Juulsen (top 4 guy), and Thrower (top 6 guy) to our prospect pool isn't worth it?

I would say that goes alot further in filling out the future roster than a top 6 left winger would.

depends on what JB projects for Dubois (assuming Tkachuk is gone).  If he feels he's going to be a top line player, no way he trades for that.  If he doesn't feel that way, then it's a possibility.......though there's no way Sergachev is there at the Habs pick, imo.

3 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

Anyone else think the added exposure Tkachuk got at the Mem Cup is just enough to put him over Dubois?

Tkachuk was always going to go ahead of Dubois regardless of the memorial cup IMO.

He already had the hype of the Tkachuk name, he has the exposure of playing on the best team in junior, and he plays a style of game that every team covets. 

If Benning is high on him you better believe Chiarelli is too. The only way Tkachuk doesn't get chosen at number 4 is if a team trades for the Oilers pick in order to draft Dubois.

It really doesn't matter for us honestly who is better. Edmonton will be taking the one they want, and we will get the leftover. The fortunate part in this case is the leftover is pretty much just as good as the other, either way you look at it. If we had gotten the 6th pick, then it would suck, but these two players are so close, whichever one the Oilers don't take, we will gladly take.

That being said, I feel like EDM will take Tkatchuk. McDavid and Draisaitl are pretty much locks to be their 1-2 top 6 center combo in the near and lengthy future. RNH adds extra scoring depth but could easily have to move to wing or be traded. But Edmonton has been looking for a rugged top 6 player with offensive upside to play on the wing of one of their centers... That is exactly what Tkatchuk is, and he has experience in tough pressure minutes, and playing with high skilled players. Replace Marner and Dvorak with McDavid and RNH, and watch him flourish. Edmonton's core group going forward

Hall - McDavid - Eberle

Tkatchuk -  Draisaitl - RNH?

That is a solid looking group for them. It looks enticing.

Dubois for us works better anyway in my opinino. He has a complete all around game, and can be the piece to bounce off of Bo Horvat for our future top 6 combo. It may take a while to get there, but if anyone ever believed that Jared McCann had 1c combo, just wait until you get a load of Dubois. He replaces Jared McCann nicely, which is one reason I was never too mad about the trade. There's only so much space for youth on a team at any given time. Also, with the signing of Troy Stecher, people shouldn't be worried abou that second round pick that we lost. Stecher has come a long way. If we had a second round pick turn out to have the success Stecher did at College we would be ecstatic. He gives us the flexibility to lose that pick. But anyway, Dubois will be a player that bounces off Bo very well. Either going double center combo, or potentially joining him on his wing. (Something we weren't sure McCann could do effectively. At least not yet. Not all players can swap to the wing and back)

Dubois, Stecher, Subban, Boeser, and dare I say it, Demko, are all getting very close to NHL ready. I predict a season for each of them, minus Demko, and they will be ready to go. Our future core

Forwards: Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Baertschi, Dubois, Granlund/Etem? (6 guys with legitimate top 6 potential)

Defence: Hutton, Tryamkin, Subban, Stecher? (4 diverse style players with legitimate top 4 potential)

Goalie: Demko (Starting goaltender, maybe all star)

One thing is pretty much for sure, and evidenced by Benning relinquishing McCanna and picks. Our youth movement is pretty much done after this pick of Tkatchuk or Dubois. Yes we will continue to get picks and develop prospects, but right here above by all means looks to be like the future core of this team.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who was the last CHL top prospect to come out of the Q, who's name started with D?  That's right, and that's scary.

I see him being more comparable to Sean Couturier.

Solid player, but not the franchise player you would hope for with a top 5 pick.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Tkachuk was always going to go ahead of Dubois regardless of the memorial cup IMO.

He already had the hype of the Tkachuk name, he has the exposure of playing on the best team in junior, and he plays a style of game that every team covets. 

If Benning is high on him you better believe Chiarelli is too. The only way Tkachuk doesn't get chosen at number 4 is if a team trades for the Oilers pick in order to draft Dubois.

I'm stilling wondering if there's a chance the Jackets take Tkachuk at 3.

8 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I'm stilling wondering if there's a chance the Jackets take Tkachuk at 3.

I dunno, they're already pretty deep on the left side even though Tkachuk fits the team they're building pretty well.

Columbus is a team that needs NHL ready players now and Pullujarvi is the most NHL ready between the two. I think it's more likely they trade the pick than pass on Pullujarvi.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno, they're already pretty deep on the left side even though Tkachuk fits the team they're building pretty well.

Columbus is a team that needs NHL ready players now and Pullujarvi is the most NHL ready between the two. I think it's more likely they trade the pick than pass on Pullujarvi.

Not to mention a Finnish GM.

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

And it's going to be a disappointment to alot of people when it happens. It sucks getting sloppy 2nds after losing the top 3, but Dubois and Tkachuk are both homerun picks.

Agreed. I like the situation we're in at #5, it's basically Dubois or Tkachuk, whichever the Oilers don't draft, we pick the other. If we were at #4, and the player we drafted didn't pan out as we had expected, then the reaction would be worse. 

55 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Agreed. I like the situation we're in at #5, it's basically Dubois or Tkachuk, whichever the Oilers don't draft, we pick the other. If we were at #4, and the player we drafted didn't pan out as we had expected, then the reaction would be worse. 

I guarantee people will still complain if Juolevi, Nylander, or Chychrun turn out better.

I still wouldn't rule out Benning trading back for Jost though. He's hard to ignore.

I guarantee people will still complain if Juolevi, Nylander, or Chychrun turn out better.

I still wouldn't rule out Benning trading back for Jost though. He's hard to ignore.

If we traded down and got some picks and prospects and left the draft with Jost I would be stoked

Archived