The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Germany abandons wind

Violator

Germany To Abandon $1.1 Trillion Wind Power Program By 2019

Germany plans to stop building new wind farms by 2019, gradually turning away from its $1.1 trillion wind power program, according to a Thursday report in Berliner Zeitung.

The government plans to cap the total amount of wind energy at 40 to 45 percent of national capacity, according to the report. By 2019, this policy would cause a massive reduction of 6,000 megawatts of wind power capacity compared to the end of 2015’s capacity.

“The domestic market for many [wind turbine] manufacturers collapses completely,” Julia Verlinden, a spokesperson for the German Green Party, told Berliner Zeitung. “With their plan, the federal government is killing the wind companies.” Verlinden goes on to blame the political influence of “old, fossil fuel power plants.”

Germany’s government, however, has been very supportive of wind power.

The government estimates that it will spend over $1.1 trillion financially supporting wind power, even though building wind turbines hasn’t achieved the government’s goal of actually reducing carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

Germany created lucrative subsidies and tax benefits for wind power in 2011 after it decided to abandon nuclear power entirely by 2022 following the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in Japan. German utilities are already suing the government for $21 billion over the nuclear shutdown plan.

Electricity from new wind power is nearly four times as expensive as electricity from existing nuclear power plants, according to analysis from the Institute for Energy Research. The rising cost of subsidies is passed onto ordinary rate-payers, which has triggered complaints that poor households are subsidizing the affluent.

Nuclear power made up 29.5 percent of Germany’s energy in 2000 — in 2015, the share dropped down to 17 percent.

And I don't get the complaint that poor households are subsidizing the affluent. Shouldn't the argument then be to fix the tax structure if the affluent aren't paying enough into the system? Or do they mean the affluent who run the turbine companies are gaining from the tax subsidies (which would have already been the case with nuclear, oil, coal, etc.)?

I've heard that wind energy is way too costly to maintain. Apparently having the turbine on a solid base creates vibritions that eventually cause the unit to be sometimes be rendered unsafe after I think it was 4 (or maybe it was 40) years. These turbines also need to go under regular maintence which is costly.

6 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I've heard that wind energy is way too costly to maintain. Apparently having the turbine on a solid base creates vibritions that eventually cause the unit to be sometimes be rendered unsafe after I think it was 4 (or maybe it was 40) years. These turbines also need to go under regular maintence which is costly.

What's the lifespan/maintenance/cleanup cost of an offshore rig?

1 minute ago, Gstank29 said:

For wind? IDK

I heard that tide energy could be big soon, but it's too costly right now to be efficent as of now

Offshore rigs are oil. 

They are very, very expensive to maintain. 

The point is that efficiency is not the only consideration in this conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Dams need maintenance, gas lines, and electrical lines need maintenance. Who is daily caller? I call BS. Siemens is a big manufacturer of wind turbines and reported according to the company and increase in orders of 44%, and it still made 1.2 billion Euros in Quarter 1 in 2016. (That's 4.8 billion in revenues). Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia, a country 70% of its money comes from oil. It's looking to diversify itself as per the BBC. And the BBC has no news regarding wind. 

The Berliner Zeitung is the first German newspaper to fall under the control of foreign investors.[5] Andrew Marr, former editor of The Independent, which like the Berliner Zeitung was taken over by David Montgomery, said of the Berliner Zeitung that "[a]nyone who was working at The Independent in the mid to late Nineties will find all this wearisomely familiar. David's obsession at that time was removing as much traditional reporting as possible from the paper and turning it into a tabloid-style scandal sheet for yuppies."[6]

From Wikipedia. 

56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dams need maintenance, gas lines, and electrical lines need maintenance. Who is daily caller? I call BS. Siemens is a big manufacturer of wind turbines and reported according to the company and increase in orders of 44%, and it still made 1.2 billion Euros in Quarter 1 in 2016. (That's 4.8 billion in revenues). Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia, a country 70% of its money comes from oil. It's looking to diversify itself as per the BBC. And the BBC has no news regarding wind. 

yet the largest green energy producer just delcared bankruptcy

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-after-sunedison-is-bankrupt-2016-4

10 minutes ago, Violator said:

yet the largest green energy producer just delcared bankruptcy

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-after-sunedison-is-bankrupt-2016-4

Did you read the article? Sounds like bad management, not a problem with wind power. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-a-yieldco-and-how-is-it-killing-wall-street-2015-11

6 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Those wind turbines kill millions of birds each year. They are not that great of an alternative.

They put a handful of windmill turbines here in Buffalo years ago and all that they've really been efficient at is killing birds.

2 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

A huge step backward. What we need is more Green Sustainable Energy, not less.

Actually, it's a step forward to a more green sustainable energy.

Do you know how much CO2 is emitted from building one of these things?

"try 241.85 tons of CO2."

steel-in-turbine.png?w=400&h=325

https://stopthesethings.com/2014/08/16/how-much-co2-gets-emitted-to-build-a-wind-turbine/

If the program started in 2011 and is to wrap up in 2019, then the government is spending 138 billion per year, assuming level spending over 8 years (a little lower if over 9 years, obviously).  This is about 10% of their budgeted revenues in recent years (https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=REV#, you will need to play with variables a bit to confirm, but 2013 was 1.37T in revenues, and almost 1.4T in 2014).  

That's pretty significant, regardless of the efficiency debate, especially given their spending on social programs.  If there's no room in the budget, programs get killed.

Archived