The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Garteig | G

thejazz97

Only watched his highlight package, but the guy's got a deadly glove hand. This is almost like when we brought in Ericsson to compete with Lack. 

looks like Demko > Markstrom > Garteig at full potential... but that's the awesome part... nobody really knows. He could be our guy too. Feels pretty good to have options.

(Demko is still the prize though)

Another top goalie of the NCAA. Went 32-4-7 last year with a save of 924 and 1.91GAA. 24 years old and from Prince George. Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why we need another goalies prospect with the current line up pretty solid with Miller to Marky. Marky to Demko. I guess just to have a solid prospect tandem in Utica to push Demko. 

Regardless,  fantastic job Benning. Another solid prospect picked up for the cost of a handshake. Not sure where he would fit it long term, but stoked to see a local top prospect come back to BC. 

Gotta hand it to Benning so far, he's on fire early this off season. If he keeps the momentum going... I won't jynx it... 

Garteig also shared the crease with Canucks second round pick,Thatcher Demko.

"He's a good kid, a really nice guy," said Garteig. "He's a really good goalie as well. He has a good chance of eventually playing in the NHL."

The Canucks told Garteig they liked how he performed and encouraged him to play well this season and stay in touch.

Garteig received the camp invite about a month or two into last season as a Canucks scout watched him play. It was near Christmas that he spoke with his advisor and coaches about going to the camp.

"Since Vancouver is in my backyard … I figured it was probably the best bet," said Garteig.

He led the NCAA in games played, starting all 40, which he said was an accomplishment of its own.

Hopefully Thatcher thinks the same after losing to his team :P

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/sports/269254081.html

Garteig didn't have a goalie coach until he was 19 - and has shown continued improvement every year.

Although, he does turn 25 early next season, so he isn't young.

It's a worthwhile gamble for the Canucks to provide depth.

23 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Another top goalie of the NCAA. Went 32-4-7 last year with a save of 924 and 1.91GAA. 24 years old and from Prince George. Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why we need another goalies prospect with the current line up pretty solid with Miller to Marky. Marky to Demko. I guess just to have a solid prospect tandem in Utica to push Demko. 

Regardless,  fantastic job Benning. Another solid prospect picked up for the cost of a handshake. Not sure where he would fit it long term, but stoked to see a local top prospect come back to BC. 

Gotta hand it to Benning so far, he's on fire early this off season. If he keeps the momentum going... I won't jynx it... 

I would assume that management see potential for the kid, but is a prospect further away, maybe career back up potential. Probably gets a season in the ECHL, then once Demko moves up to back up Marky he'll slot into back up in Utica. A season as back up in Utica followed by a season starting then make the jump to back up Demko. 4 - 5 year project.

I watched him beat BC in the frozen 4, he made some easy saves look hard at the start of the game, and made some hard save look easy at the end. Has some work to do, but as the pressure built in that game he was ready

Watched this kid quite a few times in the BCHL before he went to College.  Surprised to some degree that it took this long for some team to sign him.  He played key minutes/situations on some powerhouse teams in the BCHL (and in College) and I hope he continues to do that for this franchise. 

47 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You need 5 goalies in the system for depth in case of injuries to any of the 4 goalies in the NHL or AHL. The 5th guy on the depth chart sometimes are signed to a NHL contract if that is what it takes to get him signed or to an AHL contract if he is a less desirable prospect and can't get a NHL team to offer an ELC. Garteig will be that 5th goalie on the depth chart and will likely start out in KZoo. Cannata is a UFA and will be gone. Clay Witt was the 5th guy this year and on an AHL contract but had a terrible year and will be let go.

10 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

You need 5 goalies in the system for depth in case of injuries to any of the 4 goalies in the NHL or AHL. The 5th guy on the depth chart sometimes are signed to a NHL contract if that is what it takes to get him signed or to an AHL contract if he is a less desirable prospect and can't get a NHL team to offer an ELC. Garteig will be that 5th goalie on the depth chart and will likely start out in KZoo. Cannata is a UFA and will be gone. Clay Witt was the 5th guy this year and on an AHL contract but had a terrible year and will be let go.

I think they end up moving Bachman and keeping Cannata.

Joe played more games and had better numbers than him this season. If it's a choice between the 26 year old player that you drafted and the 28 year old free agent signing that was outplayed, I think I know who I'd go with.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think they end up moving Bachman and keeping Cannata.

Joe played more games and had better numbers than him this season. If it's a choice between the 26 year old player that you drafted and the 28 year old free agent signing that was outplayed, I think I know who I'd go with.

If I had a choice I would prefer Cannata over Bachman too but I'm not sure they could find a trading partner for Bachman who is coming off a sub par AHL season and has a one way contract. To be honest neither Comets goalie had a very good season this year and neither could establish themselves as a starter.

Archived