The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do we draft with the 5th pick? Poll

5th pick, we draft?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

would you guys trade the 5th for Sam Reinhart?

Better question is: why in the hell would Buffalo do it? 

This is the 5th pick. Not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Yes, not even 4th. Posters here seem to overrate the value of the 5th pick. Yes it's good but if Buffalo were crazy enough to offer Reinhart, we'd have to take that in a heartbeat. 

All those who are whining, it could have been much worse.

Edmonton could have gotten the 1st overall again.

As it is, Matthews is safely away in another division in a horrible Leafs team... which won't be contending for many years.

Biggest threat is Jets will get one of the super Finns, which will make them much much better... they are a big team and with one of those big Finns, they will be improving.

We will have a good player out of this.

People should get used to the idea Vancouver will never have any luck... we need to make our own, and thanks to Benning, we are already on the path.

We have a likely franchise goalie in Demko, with another high level stopper in backup... Plus Markstrom.  We will have a real sniper in Boeser, and we have a future Captain in Horvat.  With either of Tkachuk or Dubois, we will have another power forward to complement Virtanen.  With #33 in the second round, we will pick up a decent defensive prospect.

And I am sure Benning has his eye on some nugget hidden away in the late rounds.  ;)

Its all good.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I am OK with that, as long as it is actually us trading way down for that.  I fear we repeat the Virtanen situation where we pick "our guy" with our pick, even though he would be available several spots later (we could have probably gotten Virtanen at 10-12).

We have enough holes and the players at 5-12 are so closely packed in terms of talent and potential, trading down is a reasonable strategy.

You make a list of 5 or so guys you are fine with using your pick for (say Tkachuk, Juolevi, Nylander, Brown, Sergachev, Dubois, Bean).

Button could just be going by the speculation that if Tkachuk is their mystery guy and  is  gone at 4th, then the decision is between Juolevi or Brown. Just a guess anyway.

11 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All those who are whining, it could have been much worse.

Edmonton could have gotten the 1st overall again.

As it is, Matthews is safely away in another division in a horrible Leafs team... which won't be contending for many years.

Biggest threat is Jets will get one of the super Finns, which will make them much much better... they are a big team and with one of those big Finns, they will be improving.

We will have a good player out of this.

People should get used to the idea Vancouver will never have any luck... we need to make our own, and thanks to Benning, we are already on the path.

We have a likely franchise goalie in Demko, with another high level stopper in backup... Plus Markstrom.  We will have a real sniper in Boeser, and we have a future Captain in Horvat.  With either of Tkachuk or Dubois, we will have another power forward to complement Virtanen.  With #33 in the second round, we will pick up a decent defensive prospect.

And I am sure Benning has his eye on some nugget hidden away in the late rounds.  ;)

Its all good.

And who knows if Benning pulls a rabbit out of the hat and somehow lands another 1st rounder. Would be nice but doubt it. 

If Tkachuk is taken at #4, I'd either trade down or go slightly off the board and pick Tyson Jost. Tyson's a dynamic forward, a BC boy, and somebody who can score. He plays both LW/C which are two positions that need to be addressed in the near future. I really think he's been underrated because he spent the year in the BCHL. His recent performance at the IIHF U18 tournament showed that he was a force to be reckoned with. He'll be playing with Brock Boeser at UND next year too, so if can develop early chemistry with Brock, that could bode well for the long term of this Canucks organization. (And before you go on about the NCAA thing -- I don't believe either Tyson Jost or Brock Boeser will stay the 4 years to become UFAs. They're too talented and probably a little too impatient to do that). Either way, I've been very impressed with Tyson Jost and think he could be the real steal of the draft.

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I wonder if Edmonton would go for Tanev + Hansen + 33rd for the 4th?  Tanev is already a top 2 d man on most teams and would be edmonton's best d man and they need a top2 d man now, not in 3 years. I doubt chychrun becomes better defensively than tanev

nope. If that was offered, take it and run.

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I wonder if Edmonton would go for Tanev + Hansen + 33rd for the 4th?  Tanev is already a top 2 d man on most teams and would be edmonton's best d man and they need a top2 d man now, not in 3 years. I doubt chychrun becomes better defensively than tanev

It's not worth trading good players like Hansen and Tanev for a jump to 4th.... the difference between Tkachuk and Dubois is not great.   Trading two core members of the team for essentially the same result is a mistake.

The only tradeup worthwhile is 1st through 3rd.

5 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It's not worth trading good players like Hansen and Tanev for a jump to 4th.... the difference between Tkachuk and Dubois is not great.   Trading two core members of the team for essentially the same result is a mistake.

The only tradeup worthwhile is 1st through 3rd.

i didn't mean to trade up, I meant to get the 4th and the 5th

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

Dubois has potential to be that no. 1 c we have been looking for. Tkachuk I have doubts due to looking back at history where sons of past sports stars have never really been able to outperform their fathers.

Dubois is a left wing

Dubois reminds me of Bobby Ryan but with a bit more urgency and a lot more bite in his game.

Has one of the better releases in this draft matched up with some real good hands.

If he's not dishing the puck by you or ripping it by you and the goalie he is powering through you then around the goalie.

He is going to draft a serious guy if past draft trends continue.

Benning past draft picks have a few things in common with forwards they can all shoot the puck and they all have that serious demeanor or men of few words in interviews- Boeser, Tryamkin, McCann, Virtanen, Forsling, Brisebois, Stewart. Traded for those players too Grandlund, Vey, etc. Likes Horvat too hmmm. You see the trend of people he likes, he ain't going to draft a player that talks and overly enthusiastic like Spezza or Lazar (didn't like Shinkaruk what a coicidence) for example aside from skill. So you get the idea of the type of players he is going to draft in 2016.  

I see Matthew Tkachuk as a great fit in Edmonton. It's the type of player they need to play with their skilled forwards and even though it is brought up as a weakness in his game most of the time on here and else where, his ability to be the "third" guy on his line could prove valuable to Edmonton. Although they need D badly, I think they will stay the course and pick BPA, which for them would be Tkachuk.

At 5, the Canucks should get Dubois and I'll be happy.

Archived