The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do we draft with the 5th pick? Poll

5th pick, we draft?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

FWIW Button has us taking Logan Brown in his post-lottery mock draft.

I am OK with that, as long as it is actually us trading way down for that.  I fear we repeat the Virtanen situation where we pick "our guy" with our pick, even though he would be available several spots later (we could have probably gotten Virtanen at 10-12).

We have enough holes and the players at 5-12 are so closely packed in terms of talent and potential, trading down is a reasonable strategy.

You make a list of 5 or so guys you are fine with using your pick for (say Tkachuk, Juolevi, Nylander, Brown, Sergachev, Dubois, Bean).

As long as at least two of them are on the board, you trade down and add an asset like a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Repeated that process until there are only a couple of those names left on the board and then take them.  

You could easily trade down 2-4 times and add that many high picks to the organization.  Suddenly you stock your cupboards quite a bit more and Benning can use his scouting know how to find a couple more gems.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I am OK with that, as long as it is actually us trading way down for that.  I fear we repeat the Virtanen situation where we pick "our guy" with our pick, even though he would be available several spots later (we could have probably gotten Virtanen at 10-12).

We have enough holes and the players at 5-12 are so closely packed in terms of talent and potential, trading down is a reasonable strategy.

You make a list of 5 or so guys you are fine with using your pick for (say Tkachuk, Juolevi, Nylander, Brown, Sergachev, Dubois, Bean).

As long as at least two of them are on the board, you trade down and add an asset like a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Repeated that process until there are only a couple of those names left on the board and then take them.  

You could easily trade down 2-4 times and add that many high picks to the organization.  Suddenly you stock your cupboards quite a bit more and Benning can use his scouting know how to find a couple more gems.

I feel the same way, no way we take Brown at 5, but so have a feeling if we trade down we are taking a a defenseman for sure.

2 hours ago, jstewboy said:

The 5th pick in a very deep draft is nothing? Ya ok.

every couple years they say is a deep draft.. and majority of those ends up 2nd/3rd liners at best.. those top elite talents usually comes from the top 3, and unfortunately we didn't get it.. and now we pray to hit the jackpot one of our prospect will miraculously become a top line producing player

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

every couple years they say is a deep draft.. and majority of those ends up 2nd/3rd liners at best.. those top elite talents usually comes from the top 3, and unfortunately we didn't get it.. and now we pray to hit the jackpot one of our prospect will miraculously become a top line producing player

The pessimism is strong. Are you part of the Vancouver Media?

42 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Tkachuk, Dubois, Juolevi. doesn't matter

I know that there is less of a need at winger but it doesn't seem as though the d-men in this draft are special talents. I go with a talented forward like Tkachuk or trade the pick for an established top 4 d man or top 6 center

If Tkachuk is available at 5, I can imagine Arizona having some interest. American born player who plays on a line with their current top prospect Christian Dvorak...

Arizona also has a 22nd pick available. 5+33 from Vancouver for 7+22 from Arizona? Looking at the bottom of the first round, it looks pretty terrible so this could be a fair trade. We take one of the 3 dmen. 

Archived