The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do we draft with the 5th pick? Poll

5th pick, we draft?  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

For those of you who don't like Chychrun at 5 what are the particular things that scare/ turn you off of him? Is it just "he's has fallen down the central scouting list"?

I think it's just that. People are hesitant to pick him, because he's been falling down the draft rankings. I think the big reason why he's been falling is, a lot of people had high expectations for him, and when he didn't met those expectations, people started to nit pick every play he made. I mean, he was hyped up as "the next one", since he was 15 years old. I still think Chychrun is the best defensemen in the draft, or at least the best all-around defensemen. The kid is already accustom to playing 30 minutes a night. If Benning decides to pick a defensemen at 5, I hope it's Chychrun. At worst, he turns into a Tyler Myers or an Alex Edler, pre-back injury.

13 hours ago, Tyl3z said:

Trade the pick down and select Chychrun or Juolevi. Also get an asset in return. They'd be dumb not to. And even dumber to take Dubois. Why take a kid who wasn't even ranked in the top 10, but then has a hot second half and is all of a sudden up in the rankings. Canucks would be playing with fire and likely shooting themselves in the foot. Just my opinion though. 

Think of this.....who is going to trade up just to select a player that is going to be available with the same talents and intangibles when it comes time for them to select anyway?

The drop off seems to be after 9/10. If you are suggesting we trade our 5th pick (that gets us a franchise player) for a Fabbro and only a 2nd puck then that's just nuts.

Carolina sorta comes close with their 13th if they include the LA pick but I would still rather get that franchise player in one of Tkachuk/Dubois/Juolevi

14 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Yikes, weird spot to land.

As much as I like Juolevi, I think it's a pretty big reach for him at 5. Ditto for Sergachev. Chychrun is an option but as I have said in other posts, he's the one Top 10 prospect that scares me the most. Also have to consider the Oilers pick at 4. Now that they are out of the Top 3, I think they will draft a Dman. Probably either Chychrun or Juolevi.

If I was management, what I would do is:

If the Oilers draft Chychrun at 4, cross your fingers and offer up prayers to Zeus and go ahead and take the reach pick of Juolevi at 5. It's risky, but it could pay off in dividends.

If the Oilers draft Juolevi, I think they should trade down to 9-12 and pick up an asset and take Sergachev.

I don't see the oilers drafting a D at 4.  Oilers need to start winning soon and the D available aren't going to be step into the NHL and make an impact right away.  I think they have enough assets (including the 4th overall) to go out and trade for a top D currently playing in the NHL. Ducks will be moving a D this summer, Shattenkirk & Hamonic will be available,  Maybe the jets look at moving Trouba or even with the rumours of Karlsson/Subban (which I think isn't likely) Oilers have the assets go after any of these D.

Oilers already have young D in Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart (who they paid a big price for), so it's not as big of need as everyone makes it out to be.  They really are one right handed D away (and a year or two more of development) from building a decent core

Klefbom Hamonic

Nurse Sekeras

Fayne Reinhart

So I see the oilers either trading their 4th away, or trading Tkachuk/Dubois as after Hall oilers don't have any young players on the left side and perhaps Tkachuk/Dubois makes Hall (their best trading piece) expendable.

5 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

The worst case scenario happened yesterday , as Canucks got bounced from the top 3 locks, for players , now its another Benning crap shoot.    Gotta laugh at the fact that Linden brought a rookie card of Quinn as a lucky charm to the Draft Lotto, and that's where were at , Tough luck Canucks merchandise3 sales just took another hit.      Since Columbus moved up maybe they will release that second , so Benning can trade it off for another HAND ME DOWN.   Years of this ahead.  YEARS

Chill Wiggins

9 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

The worst case scenario happened yesterday , as Canucks got bounced from the top 3 locks, for players , now its another Benning crap shoot.    Gotta laugh at the fact that Linden brought a rookie card of Quinn as a lucky charm to the Draft Lotto, and that's where were at , Tough luck Canucks merchandise3 sales just took another hit.      Since Columbus moved up maybe they will release that second , so Benning can trade it off for another HAND ME DOWN.   Years of this ahead.  YEARS

I don't think you understand how the draft works.

The top 3 spots were all up for grabs, we weren't guaranteed anything and weren't "bounced" from anything. 

If you wanna complain, complain about the new draft format, not our "luck".

Chychrun was dealing with injuries earlier in the year. Since being healthy he's been a PPG 30 min+ a night D man. Sorry but if we're smart, you take him and don't think twice.

10 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I feel like Craig is 'mocking' us with his post lottery mock.

He is indeed mocking us. He pulled this crap in 2014.  In 2015 he really couldn't troll since we were 23rd. This years too 6 is a little more clear.  He purposely puts a random guy at were we are picking , then puts tkachuk at 6. We will take him at 5 if Dubois is gone. 

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He is indeed mocking us. He pulled this crap in 2014.  In 2015 he really couldn't troll since we were 23rd. This years too 6 is a little more clear.  He purposely puts a random guy at were we are picking , then puts tkachuk at 6. We will take him at 5 if Dubois is gone. 

Yeah, in 2014 he rated Virtanen a second round talent and then had Benning taking him at 6 in his mock.

it did turn out that way, but I'm sure Craig was enjoying his subtle 'mockery' all the same.

I can't say I am a expert on the prospects......matter of fact, pretty weak on the subject......which is why I don't post much on the kids, but I am a go full out and draft Dmen in both 1 and 2.....so here is my question

We look at Hutton as a future 2/3 Damn, and I am good with that..........

But I wonder, if you were comparing Hutton and Juolevi and Chychrun all at 17 years of age , who would be the better prospect?

We are just talking potential at 17 years of age.........who would have had the highest ceiling and the highest floor???

Just want to get a better understanding of Juolevi and Chychrun.........by comparing them to a 17 year old Hutton

Hope I am making sense with this.....?

On May 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Tyl3z said:

Trade the pick down and select Chychrun or Juolevi. Also get an asset in return. They'd be dumb not to. And even dumber to take Dubois. Why take a kid who wasn't even ranked in the top 10, but then has a hot second half and is all of a sudden up in the rankings. Canucks would be playing with fire and likely shooting themselves in the foot. Just my opinion though. 

Iss has him ahead of tkachuk so we may get lucky and get tkachuk

Archived