The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign 21 year old Yan-Pavel Laplante

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Its typically not possible to do one year in junior and then 1 in the AHL because of the AHL age restriction.

understood. I just meant i prefer all prospects to spend time in lower tier leagues to build up their games.

Depth forward signing; at best he replaces Dorsett in 2-3 years. Hopefully he can add 10 pounds or so, play around 195.

Jeez, with fans like these...

Sign a free prospect that is finally starting to work hard and turn things around and CDC craps all over him.

It's not unheard of where a late bloomer turns things around with hard work after getting kicked to the curb. Markus Naslund anyone?

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Coyotes burn a high 3rd round pick, and we get him for free. And people complain? 

Would you rather us burn another second round pick for a guy like Mallet?

One of the worst 2nd round picks ever. I was never a fan of the pick from the very beginning. I hoped that he was good - but his good stats were due to his overager status in the QMJHL.

That was a moronic pick. Wtf.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He looks like a mix of Lucic and Lapierre. Lucpierre!

Haha I thought lappy as well then seen the lucic comment and agreed with that to, haha hope he can play like either one of them, 

mans those who say he will never make it, you never know his points are not there because that's not his role in hockey clearly, he's an energy player and maybe will turn into a tough 4th line guy for us in the future 

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

One of the worst 2nd round picks ever. I was never a fan of the pick from the very beginning. I hoped that he was good - but his good stats were due to his overager status in the QMJHL.

That was a moronic pick. Wtf.

Pat White 25th overall

Nathan Smith 23rd overall

Brad Ference 10th overall

Josh Holden 12th overall

Libor Polasek 21st overall

Jason Herter 8th overall

Dan Woolley 7th overall

We've had worse in the first round. 

50 minutes ago, gobi said:

So excited! When was the last time Canucks had a Pavel?

Demetra and we all know how that turned out.

Just now, DeltaSwede said:

I hope you're not implying what you think you are. It's Demitra, show some respect. 

I'm not. What I meant was he didn't exactly play as well as we could have wanted. I respect him in one of the highest regards, thank you very much.

This contract seems quite strange to me. Apparently Laplante wasn't expecting to receive any type of contract and was hoping for a camp invite.. he's been given a heck of a deal here, something I can't see he has warranted.

Never say no to a free prospect but that contract is interesting to say the least. 

44 minutes ago, Deets said:

Jeez, with fans like these...

Sign a free prospect that is finally starting to work hard and turn things around and CDC craps all over him.

It's not unheard of where a late bloomer turns things around with hard work after getting kicked to the curb. Markus Naslund anyone?

It's interesting watching the different reactions to this signing.

It's been suggested he isn't good enough to make the Comets.

Most are unexcited by the signing.

A few take the opportunity to get excited about him and about Canucks' management getting a player for free.  A few of those consider that those that are unexcited to be overly negative.

I'm in the middle group, unexcited.  Guys who do an overage year in junior, not signed to an elc two seasons after being drafted, should imo show something in pro hockey before they are worth being excited about.   Presumably there was a reason he was drafted early in the 3rd round, a reason he wasn't signed to a contract and a reason why last June he wasn't drafted when he became eligible to be drafted a second time.   We can be hopeful, but it would be silly to get overly excited about the signing.  If he does well we can get excited about that.

This looks to me like Benning picking up a prospect that hadn't progressed as hoped after being drafted, mainly to play for the Comets but with some hope that he'll show the ability that made him an early 3rd round pick despite an injury-shortened season in Jr 3 years ago. 

2 hours ago, greetingsfrombrazil said:

Don't really expect much from him. If he turns into a bottom 6 forward, that's good enough for me. Utica bound for this season

Seems like we could supply half the western conference with bottom six forwards. Maybe someday we will get a real player 

16 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Seems like we could supply half the western conference with bottom six forwards. Maybe someday we will get a real player 

We are accumulating so many small forwards, one has to wonder how many of these contracts is too many. I'm thinking there is going to be a number of these players that they won't re-sign, as a number of contracts are up for renewal.

Archived