The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats a good point.... you'd think a team like CBJ would want Baer at 50% retained for nearly free (e.g., 6th or 7th) or even via waivers but I guess not, at least so far. 

He has that additional contract year.  Him not playing anywhere is not helping either.  It feels like the Canucks will have to add to move him, unless they can do a swap of bad contracts.  

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I haven't liked Pearson in the top 6 since the start of the season. He's a big body with speed, but can't make a play besides taking a quick shot. I don't think he's smart enough to produce in the top 6 with Horvat. Drop Pearson into Motte's role, put Baertschi with Horvat and Eriksson out of the lineup. 

Interestingly, Benning last year talked about wanting to develop Gaudette as a center. I would think that keeping him on the wing for more than a few more games wouldn't be ideal in his eyes.

Last night was a prime example of why Pearson, Leivo et al have a spot in the top 9 over him. They play heavier games, win battles on the boards and quite simply...get the puck. We have other skill guys to do something with it once we've got it...and they're better than Baer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

He has that additional contract year.  Him not playing anywhere is not helping either.  It feels like the Canucks will have to add to move him, unless they can do a swap of bad contracts.  

I dont see his contract as having negative value, he just isnt getting an opportunity to play here. When injuries hit later some team will come knocking. I dont expect much for him but I dont see us adding to get rid of him unless he gets injured again. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mll said:

I think thats the case too. Not sure what the price would be but if its full cap clearance then maybe its worth it. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Last night was a prime example of why Pearson, Leivo et al have a spot in the top 9 over him. They play heavier games, win battles on the boards and quite simply...get the puck. We have other skill guys to do something with it once we've got it...and they're better than Baer.

What skill players do we have outside of the top line? Horvat?

Pearson has 2 secondary assists in his last 10 games and only 1 primary assist all year. Getting the puck is valuable, but not as valuable as being able to make a play with it when you get it. Virtanen had 5 points in 6 games and got taken off that line. We were supposed to actually have wingers for Horvat this year after last year but we still don't.

I don't think there are enough players in the lineup who can consistently make a play. Specifically on Horvat's line. However, it's tough to mess with a lineup that's been rolling and I think it's pretty evident now that Baertschi really isn't in management's long term plans.

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I do agree last night was the sort of night we need heavier players. (Note that LE is the opposite of a heavy player) But most nights we don't play such a heavy team and I think the extra scoring potential might outweigh the defensive play that LE does bring.

Look - I'm not saying Baer should be a shoe-in.  Far from it. Especially with guys like Motte, Ferland, and Roussell waiting to come back. Those guys fit the mould of this team better and are obviously Green's preference. I just think that given prior chemistry with Bo, and his recent play in Utica, that a time like with guys out of the lineup is the perfect time to see what he might be capable of. If nothing else, I feel it is an opportunity to possibly up his value.

Agree to disagree. It isn't like we owe Baer anything, but I can't help feel for the guy when he is refused a spot on this roster when he could be potentially contributing to our scoring.

28 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I do agree last night was the sort of night we need heavier players. (Note that LE is the opposite of a heavy player) But most nights we don't play such a heavy team and I think the extra scoring potential might outweigh the defensive play that LE does bring.

Look - I'm not saying Baer should be a shoe-in.  Far from it. Especially with guys like Motte, Ferland, and Roussell waiting to come back. Those guys fit the mould of this team better and are obviously Green's preference. I just think that given prior chemistry with Bo, and his recent play in Utica, that a time like with guys out of the lineup is the perfect time to see what he might be capable of. If nothing else, I feel it is an opportunity to possibly up his value.

Agree to disagree. It isn't like we owe Baer anything, but I can't help feel for the guy when he is refused a spot on this roster when he could be potentially contributing to our scoring.

If we're going to do it, tomorrow night against the Hawks is probably the time to insert him, while potentially giving a rest to another guy who might have gotten banged up last night and keep that guy fresher for the back to back game Fri against WPG.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What skill players do we have outside of the top line? Horvat?

Pearson has 2 secondary assists in his last 10 games and only 1 primary assist all year. Getting the puck is valuable, but not as valuable as being able to make a play with it when you get it. Virtanen had 5 points in 6 games and got taken off that line. We were supposed to actually have wingers for Horvat this year after last year but we still don't.

I don't think there are enough players in the lineup who can consistently make a play. Specifically on Horvat's line. However, it's tough to mess with a lineup that's been rolling and I think it's pretty evident now that Baertschi really isn't in management's long term plans.

I agree

Sven - Horvat - Virtanen 

Pearson - Sutter - Gaudette  

Schaller - Beagle - Leivo 

Should be the lines IMO, Loui doesnt really bring much. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I agree

Sven - Horvat - Virtanen 

Pearson - Sutter - Gaudette  

Schaller - Beagle - Leivo 

Should be the lines IMO, Loui doesnt really bring much. 

That's pretty similar to what I would run. I'd just switch Pearson and Leivo though. Hopefully we could find someone better than Virtanen for that 2RW spot as well, but he had a good stretch there recently so I'd put him there for now. 

@aGENT what does your ideal lineup look like?

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's pretty similar to what I would run. I'd just switch Pearson and Leivo though. Hopefully we could find someone better than Virtanen for that 2RW spot as well, but he had a good stretch there recently so I'd put him there for now. 

@aGENT what does your ideal lineup look like?

Trade Stecher and Virtanen for Tuch? :lol:

If Motte's healthy, he's in my lineup (and I suspect Green's). IMO you guys are in a river in Egypt not including him.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trade Stecher and Virtanen for Tuch? :lol:

If Motte's healthy, he's in my lineup (and I suspect Green's). IMO you guys are in a river in Egypt not including him.

Motte's not healthy right now though. Even then, who do you take out?

Speaking of trade targets though, I still think Kapanen would be a great fit and ideal target for us. 

On 11/6/2019 at 12:37 PM, aGENT said:

If we're going to do it, tomorrow night against the Hawks is probably the time to insert him, while potentially giving a rest to another guy who might have gotten banged up last night and keep that guy fresher for the back to back game Fri against WPG.

Well looks like I got the game order backwards but the situation I had correct @kloubek :lol:

And...not saying we would have otherwise won last night, but I think Baer would have suited playing against CHI last night better than WPG but whatever, happy to see how he does :) 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Well looks like I got the game order backwards but the situation I had correct @kloubek :lol:

And...not saying we would have otherwise won last night, but I think Baer would have suited playing against CHI last night better than WPG but whatever, happy to see how he does :) 

:)

He didn't score, but he didn't look bad at all. But my scenario was to take LE out. Instead they took out Gaudette.

In retrospect, I think at least part of my desire to insert Baer was actually to get LE out. Another useless game by him. :(

I thought Baertschi had a good game for someone who has sat for 4 games.

Looked a little gassed in the third, but had several scoring chances and showed his smarts with some good passes which could have been converted.

Didn't look shy in the rough stuff, he was in forechecking with the rest.

Needs a decent tryout with at least 3 games with Horvat so he can get up to speed.

• Upvote 1

I thought Baertschi would have noticed the fast, intense, hard-forechecking style that the team has been playing this year and would have come out like he was shot from a cannon!  Unfortunately, I didn't see any of that intensity tonight -- just the same old, same old Sven.  If this is how he plays realizing that he's being give a second shot at life in the NHL, I don't see him staying for long.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I thought Baertschi would have noticed the fast, intense, hard-forechecking style that the team has been playing this year and would have come out like he was shot from a cannon!  Unfortunately, I didn't see any of that intensity tonight -- just the same old, same old Sven.  If this is how he plays realizing that he's being give a second shot at life in the NHL, I don't see him staying for long.

Baer's season debut wasn't a standout but then the whole team seemed off. The Jet forwards are generally big and fast and the Canuck forwards couldn't establish much off the rush. They did have some decent possession shifts once they established in the ozone. Baer didn't standout but few did. I am down on Baer as I don't see the long term fit. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Baer's season debut wasn't a standout but then the whole team seemed off. The Jet forwards are generally big and fast and the Canuck forwards couldn't establish much off the rush. They did have some decent possession shifts once they established in the ozone. Baer didn't standout but few did. I am down on Baer as I don't see the long term fit. 

I wouldn't be too down on Baer.  Not a long term fit would include half the players on our team.;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I wouldn't be too down on Baer.  Not a long term fit would include half the players on our team.;)

I'd have to say that it's more because he doesn't fit in with the type of team Benning is trying to build or the style that Green is having them play.  He fits more in the Eriksson-Goldobin(-Granlund-Hutton-Pouliott) mould.  In other words, the Softies bin!

56 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'd have to say that it's more because he doesn't fit in with the type of team Benning is trying to build or the style that Green is having them play.  He fits more in the Eriksson-Goldobin(-Granlund-Hutton-Pouliott) mould.  In other words, the Softies bin!

He's much better than any of those guys, but I understand what you're getting at.  My preference though, is having a skilled player alongside Bo.  N/S guys are fun to watch, but get pretty old when they don't score or assist on linemates scoring.

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

True enough. Fans are excited about the idea of this team making playoffs, which it should. My biggest concern is still player evaluation and development towards serious contention in 2-3 years. This process is more important than making playoffs this year but is not mutually exlusive. More than at anytime in the past 4 years Benning has shown the importance of having a group of vets in the 26-30 year old range that support the development of the younger group. Having a vision of the team that will compete in 3 years is critical and JB seems to have that. 

Baer might help on the offensive side but my ask is whether that is enough to dedicate TOI to him. Does it make sense to have him on the 2LW instead of Person, Leivo or even Jake (in the event that Green entertains that experiment). If Baer can play 20-30 games and be productive I can only hope that JB can move him for a decent return. His value would only go up towards the TDL. Roussel, Gaudette and Motte will be back soon. I would not sit any of these players to play Baer or Ericksson. I also think there are 3 or 4 forwards in Utica who should see a few games this year.

• Upvote 1