The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be nice. My guess if it does happen is something more like Baer + our 4th for their 6th or something along those lines. I think its that extra contract year thats not helping, GMs don't know if they're taking on a multi-year liability and don't want to pay much for it. They didn't want him for free to begin the year. 

I don't think Benning has any intention of paying to dump him. We may not get loads for him, fair enough. But we're not likely PAYING to move him.

Teams didn't want him for free because they had rosters full of healthy players, no roster or cap space and likely a few young guys they were hopeful to push for spots.

Now they have injuries, IR cushions and young guys who either didn't make it and/or have cooled off. Happens every year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't think Benning has any intention of paying to dump him. We may not get loads for him, fair enough. But we're not likely PAYING to move him.

Teams didn't want him for free because they had rosters full of healthy players, no roster or cap space and likely a few young guys they were hopeful to push for spots.

Now they have injuries, IR cushions and young guys who either didn't make it and/or have cooled off. Happens every year.

if it was flipping later round picks I could see it for the cap relief aspect of it. But certainly nothing major. You'd think this would be an easy one for CBJ tho. Or Chicago for that matter. Both have totally anemic offences' right now and Baer's a lock for 15 goals on either team for pretty cheap. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be nice. My guess if it does happen is something more like Baer + our 4th for their 6th or something along those lines. I think its that extra contract year thats not helping, GMs don't know if they're taking on a multi-year liability and don't want to pay much for it. They didn't want him for free to begin the year. 

Ottawa has very few players signed in two years time I believe. Low risk, med reward ... but Melnyk is cheap. I would definitely give him a whirl if I was OTT. If nothing else he's a consummate professional and good for helping the youngsters along.  

• Upvote 1

Depending on how long Ferland is out, maybe we call up Baertschi now.  He's defensively responsible enough to play on the third line.  He could be the playmaker on a Baertschi - Sutter - Leivo line, and provide good secondary scoring.  Or maybe Baertschi - Gaudette - Sutter, drop Leivo to play with Beagle and Schaller, and drop Eriksson from the lineup altogether.

Since Baertschi already cleared waivers, he could be sent down without going through it again if he plays fewer than 10 games/ 30 days, so if he doesn't play well we could always send him back to Utica and bring up someone else.  But if he does prove that he's still an useful NHLer, several teams that need scoring help -- Detroit, Columbus, Ottawa, New Jersey, L.A. -- currently have $5 million or more in cap space.  If he shows his injuries are in his past, no reason why he wouldn't be tradeable.  

4 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Depending on how long Ferland is out, maybe we call up Baertschi now.  He's defensively responsible enough to play on the third line.  

Doubt it. The team didn't see him as a third liner out of camp. Don't see anything that's changed that.

I'd imagine they'd insert Gaudette and call up a bottom 6 option (MacEwan, Bailey etc).

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt it. The team didn't see him as a third liner out of camp. Don't see anything that's changed that.

I'd imagine they'd insert Gaudette and call up a bottom 6 option (MacEwan, Bailey etc).

indeed. 

leivo-gaudette-sutter seems like the no-brainer adjustment. 

17 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Depending on how long Ferland is out, maybe we call up Baertschi now.  He's defensively responsible enough to play on the third line.  He could be the playmaker on a Baertschi - Sutter - Leivo line, and provide good secondary scoring.  Or maybe Baertschi - Gaudette - Sutter, drop Leivo to play with Beagle and Schaller, and drop Eriksson from the lineup altogether.

Since Baertschi already cleared waivers, he could be sent down without going through it again if he plays fewer than 10 games/ 30 days, so if he doesn't play well we could always send him back to Utica and bring up someone else.  But if he does prove that he's still an useful NHLer, several teams that need scoring help -- Detroit, Columbus, Ottawa, New Jersey, L.A. -- currently have $5 million or more in cap space.  If he shows his injuries are in his past, no reason why he wouldn't be tradeable.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

If I got to make the lines I'd be putting Sven back with Bo now that Pearson seems to have cooled off and Virtanen is clicking on the other side.

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

If Tuna can keep being what he's been over the past handful of games, that's a heckuva second line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Glad Baertschi is back.  Better top 6 option than Pearson, Jake & Leivo imo.  

Nice to have him back up here, but big hit for Utica.  Hope they keep their win streak alive down there without him!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Nice to have him back up here, but big hit for Utica.  Hope they keep their win streak alive down there without him!

They have enough fire power.  They haven't lost a game yet.  They will be fine.  They have Kole and Reid going like gang buster..  Big Mac is injured right now as well and that didn't hurt them over the weekend.

I put this in the Nov 1 game day thread (just some thoughts on Baer):

I am in the camp that thinks Baertschi still has value. 

I think it would be a bad idea to lose him on waivers and I hope management finds a way to prevent that from happening.

The further we get into the season, the more injuries will pile up. So either we will need Baer in our own top 6 or some other team will and I am hoping we get some value if we have to trade him.

In the past 4 years Baer has had a points per game of .41 to .55 (.54 & .55 in last two years).

That would put him as our 5th or 6th highest points per game forward this year if he was at the higher end of those numbers (like he was in the last two years).

Petey  1.50

JT Miller  1.17

Boeser  1.17

Horvat  .92

Baer  .54-.55

Leivo  .50

Sutter  .50

I think Baer has value playing with Bo on our team and it allows us to play good players like Leivo and Pearson further down in the line up. It also gives us added depth for inevitable injuries.