The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Baer's game has improved steadily. His set up for Gaudette was a beaut. It does not change my opinion that there is no long term spot for him on this roster. Hoping JB can find a trade for him. 

We have some depth now.  Injuries happen, and now we have a guy like Baer to fill in.  Having guys who can fill in and be decent allows us to keep in that playoff spot.  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have some depth now.  Injuries happen, and now we have a guy like Baer to fill in.  Having guys who can fill in and be decent allows us to keep in that playoff spot.  

Ya, I want this young group to have some playoff experience and Baer could be a reason they get there. It doesn't change my priority which is the development timeline. Serious CUP contention in 3 seasons. Baer won't be on that team. Because of that I would prefer that he is traded for a pick. I rather his TOI go towards a player who compliments a heavier game or is developing towards being a piece for 3 years out. For example a rotation of players like Big Mac from Utica. When the injured return it will force a decision.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Ya, I want this young group to have some playoff experience and Baer could be a reason they get there. It doesn't change my priority which is the development timeline. Serious CUP contention in 3 seasons. Baer won't be on that team. Because of that I would prefer that he is traded for a pick. I rather his TOI go towards a player who compliments a heavier game or is developing towards being a piece for 3 years out. For example a rotation of players like Big Mac from Utica. When the injured return it will force a decision.  

I agree, but does Green think about the current game, or the next one?  

::D

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree, but does Green think about the current game, or the next one?  

Its a process don't you think Alf? Green is pretty even keeled from what I see. He rarely singles out anyone. Even defends LE. If I am right and serious CUP play is 3 seasons away then that is a lifetime in sports. Green has to nurse this group along the way. A maturing process. That said the odds are that he won't be the coach at that point simply because the tenure for coaches doesn't last that long. Right now I am happy with the job he does. He is a old Jr. Smoke Eater which carries cred in my world. ::D

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Baer is either gone back down soon or traded. I wanted him brought back up but he showed nothing.

He is gone....

CYA BAER!!

I kinda wanted him back up too, because I thought he'd play like a player possessed, getting another chance at life in the NHL.  I saw none of that and now at least I know it's not because he hasn't been given enough chances, he's just not ever going to be anything more than a fringe NHL player.  We're much better off keeping 3rd and 4th line players who can at least contribute energy and physicality to the lineup, like MacEwan and Motte (when healthy).  It's just time to let Baertschi go.

• Like 1

Sven Baertschi  has to go soon. No more call ups no more nothing. He Played on a decent line and showed nothing other than the feel for last years hockey team.  Last nights entire game was different in a good way without this dud. Too soft Sven!

23 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Sven Baertschi  has to go soon. No more call ups no more nothing. He Played on a decent line and showed nothing other than the feel for last years hockey team.  Last nights entire game was different in a good way without this dud. Too soft Sven!

I thought Baer was more engaged in the games he played. There should be a place for him in the NHL but his CAP hit is a problem. Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen on the 3rd line is forcing him out. Roussel, Sutter and Motte returning simply shuts the door. The question becomes whether Benning can move him or whether he is claimed on waivers. Does Benning have a deal pending the return of injured players? I doubt it. 

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Baer was more engaged in the games he played. There should be a place for him in the NHL but his CAP hit is a problem. Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen on the 3rd line is forcing him out. Roussel, Sutter and Motte returning simply shuts the door. The question becomes whether Benning can move him or whether he is claimed on waivers. Does Benning have a deal pending the return of injured players? I doubt it. 

No place on this team for him. Get rid of this guy. Engaged? How did that go? Much better team to watch without him and Erikkson playing.

The only way you can describe Baertschi or Eriksson as being engaged, or even just playing well, is if you're looking to find signs of even the smallest things they do positively in a game (i.e, the 'little things').  That was just enough to keep them in the lineup in that past, but now this team has moved well beyond saving lineup spots for players who can't contribute in a bigger, bolder way.  Especially if they might be getting in the way of developing some of our promising young prospects!

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Baer was more engaged in the games he played. There should be a place for him in the NHL but his CAP hit is a problem. Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen on the 3rd line is forcing him out. Roussel, Sutter and Motte returning simply shuts the door. The question becomes whether Benning can move him or whether he is claimed on waivers.

I do agree. I thought it look like Baer was at least trying. But we have seen how this team does without that physical, heavy bottom 6 so there just isn't a place for him unless he is obviously producing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 points in his first game back; now has 12 points in 8 games in Utica.

Worth noting that while he was in Vancouver, he had the highest Corsi on the entire team and the Canucks had a 0% shooting percentage 5v5 while he was on the ice.

Basically, it means he was insanely unlucky and the points were likely to start coming eventually.

I support our coaching staff, but I still don't understand why he's not being given more of a chance. Give him top 6 minutes for 3 or 4 games in a row and I think we'd see production.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

2 points in his first game back 12 points in 8 games in Utica.

Worth noting that while he was in Vancouver, he had the highest Corsi on the entire team and the Canucks had a 0% shooting percentage 5v5 while he was on the ice.

Basically, it means he was insanely unlucky and the points were likely to start coming eventually.

I support our coaching staff, but I still don't understand why he's not being given more of a chance. Give him top 6 minutes for 3 or 4 games in a row and I think we'd see production.

Sorry but the eye test was the complete opposite. This why I don’t like advanced stats like Corsi.

I do agree that we should’ve given him too 6 minutes for 3 or 4 games, same goes for Goldy.

• Upvote 1

I've always been a fan of Baertschi and think he's been unlucky and not been given a massive opportunity this season, but sadly it is a production-based business and he hasn't produced offence. The role he's in, if he's not scoring in this high-octane team then he can't have a top-6 roster spot sadly. I'd still like to see what he can do alongside his buddy Horvat but I don't think he's going to get much of an opportunity now. 

Certainly big-time trade bait for a team who needs a decent 3rd line scoring winger though.

I'd hang on to him because the moment we lose a top-6 guy to injury he should get the first main call-up.

• Upvote 1