The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Baertschi played really well in the first period. I know he took 2 penalities 1 though was forgivable as he was covering for a d man's mistake. So if you erase that penalty and just consider it being 1 bad penality he didn't do to bad in terms of discipline. I believe he has a lot more to show us. Very exciting to have another talented prospect in our lineup. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Kenins draw in with someone else subbing out for rest sometime soon. Baertschi will be a real treat if we take the playoffs. He seems like the type of player that excels when the crowds intensity increases. I think he did very well in his first game given the intensity Winnipeg brought.

Back to his more familiar #47 after this odd experiment with #42 (despite #47 being available and some of our other rookies rocking higher numbers - contrary to the unwritten rule)...

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks 2m2 minutes ago

. @SvenBaertschi sporting No. 47 as he hits the ice for #Canucks practice this morning.

42 is discovery that's why!

I say Baertschi was very noticable in this first game. Overall i would give him a C+ but it was his firs game in a canucks uniform and he seems to be as good as advertised, especially in the offensive zone.

Hope he plays against LA.

Here are the highlights only for Baertschi's debut against the Jets. The line of Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen had a rough night and spent the vast majority of their shifts defending in their own zone. Horvat had a tough night in the circle so the Jets started many shifts against this line with the puck on their sticks. Not a recipe for success against Winnipeg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DeAEDS4gRI

Not a bad debut by Baertschi, showed good wheels and some good vision on a couple of plays. That said, he does play like a typical "small, skilled" player, meaning you aren't going to get a ton out of them if they aren't scoring. Considering we only have up a mid-2nd I think it is a good gamble to take but every time people lose their minds over taking Virtanen instead Ehlers or Nylander, just remember that Baertschi also put up 2 PPG in his draft+1 year and is as purely skilled as either of those players. Just because they can dazzle and dangle through junior aged kids or even at the AHL level doesn't mean they are all slated to be the next Patrick Kane at the NHL level. Baertschi may still end up a top 6 player just as Ehlers and Nylander may, but it isn't as much a sure thing as people like to think.

Guest Dasein

Yep.

EDIT: That reminds me of the Chris Tanev career highlights that the Canucks posted when he signed his extension. The video was 21 seconds.

Haha actually? I didn't watch it because I knew there would be nothing in it, but that's hilarious

Haha actually? I didn't watch it because I knew there would be nothing in it, but that's hilarious

I didn't watch it either, but I saw it in my YouTube feed and couldn't help but laugh at the optics of a video of a player re-signing a long-term deal at a $4.45 million cap followed immediately by a career highlight video less than half a minute long. Obviously Tanev's worth is in the subtle plays but it was still pretty funny.

Guest Dasein

Man I wonder how many views that video got :lol::lol::lol:

It's probably his first highlight package ever too :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Dasein