The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Baertschi will be on the team next season.

Clendenning will be also. If that means that Weber is gone, then so be it. I think Stanton stays, and Corrado is up full time with the big club as well.

Guest Dasein

Long-term? If so, why in the world would you do that? You're basically giving up on a young prospect who could very well do what Weber does while possessing a high potential to be better than Weber ever was once he hits his prime.

Clendening is 6'00" 190lbs while Weber is 5'11" 200lbs // Clendening turns 23 this year while Weber turns 27

In the season when Weber was Clendening's age, he played 41 games for the Montreal Canadiens. He followed that up with 60 games in the season equivalent to the next one for Clendening

Basically, I see Clendening next season as Weber from 4 years ago (roughly in that ballpark) - an unproven RHD with PP/offensive upside. If Weber proves himself on the PP as a viable option in the playoffs, then he's basically what we hope Clendening can turn out to be 2-4 years down the road IMO

Forsling turned into Clendening because he's further ahead on the development path, and I think we may choose Weber over Clendening for the same reason if he really carves himself a spot on the roster in the playoffs

We can also afford to move the younger of the two because of Corrado, who must also make the NHL next season and is in the same age group. Getting Weber locked up would mean we have an experienced top 4 moving forward with Edler, Tanev, Sbisa and Weber if Hamhuis and Bieksa are not re-signed after next season

This scenario is all contingent on Weber's play from now until the Canucks are no longer playing hockey. He could just as easily cement his status as a journeyman by underperforming as he could succeed and earn a contract here

Clendening is 6'00" 190lbs while Weber is 5'11" 200lbs // Clendening turns 23 this year while Weber turns 27

In the season when Weber was Clendening's age, he played 41 games for the Montreal Canadiens. He followed that up with 60 games in the season equivalent to the next one for Clendening

Basically, I see Clendening next season as Weber from 4 years ago (roughly in that ballpark) - an unproven RHD with PP/offensive upside. If Weber proves himself on the PP as a viable option in the playoffs, then he's basically what we hope Clendening can turn out to be 2-4 years down the road IMO

Forsling turned into Clendening because he's further ahead on the development path, and I think we may choose Weber over Clendening for the same reason if he really carves himself a spot on the roster in the playoffs

We can also afford to move the younger of the two because of Corrado, who must also make the NHL next season and is in the same age group. Getting Weber locked up would mean we have an experienced top 4 moving forward with Edler, Tanev, Sbisa and Weber if Hamhuis and Bieksa are not re-signed after next season

This scenario is all contingent on Weber's play from now until the Canucks are no longer playing hockey. He could just as easily cement his status as a journeyman by underperforming as he could succeed and earn a contract here

That's correct, but it wasn't a matter of simply finding a guy that was 4 years ahead. The purpose was to find a player who was in that early 20 year-old range because we simply didn't have many guys in that group (at any position) because of our drafting over the years. The fact that the age group we needed to address is exactly 4 years ahead of Forsling's age is simply the result of circumstance. His signing of Hutton and trades for Baertschi and Pedan (in addition to Clendening) are proof that he is trying to restock that specific age group of our depth to compensate for the traded/misused picks from the past few years. So I think that getting rid of someone in that age group works against everything he has tried to do this year.

Exactly right Canucks1219. Also, keeping Weber doesn't necessarily mean trading Clendening or vise versa.

Keeping Weber means that Corrado and Biega start the year in Utica.

Interesting what happens with Weber, he is in his prime and is very attractive in terms of skills and cap hit.

Guest Dasein

That's correct, but it wasn't a matter of simply finding a guy that was 4 years ahead. The purpose was to find a player who was in that early 20 year-old range because we simply didn't have many guys in that group (at any position) because of our drafting over the years. The fact that the age group we needed to address is exactly 4 years ahead of Forsling's age is simply the result of circumstance. His signing of Hutton and trades for Baertschi and Pedan (in addition to Clendening) are proof that he is trying to restock that specific age group of our depth to compensate for the traded/misused picks from the past few years. So I think that getting rid of someone in that age group works against everything he has tried to do this year.

Yes, but I also think that Weber's age is better suited for this team because the right side is pretty young already with Tanev turning 26 and Weber turning 27 - we only truly need one in the 20-24 age group to take Bieksa's spot when he goes (whether that is next year or a few years after if he is re-signed - we shall see) and Corrado is exactly that

And as I said before, this is in a scenario where Weber proves himself as a viable option on our PP with the Sedins. We've badly missed having someone who can score from the point, and if Weber can provide that, at his age (still young at 26), I could see us keeping Weber because he fits right in the age group of our d-core in the near future (Edler 1986, Weber 1988, Tanev 1989, Sbisa 1990 - followed by Pedan, Hutton & Corrado, the 1993s knocking on the door)

JB's stocked up, and that means he'll have to choose which ones to keep. Just because he acquired a bunch of guys in a particular age group that we were lacking in doesn't mean he's going to keep them all - some are going to have to go because not all can make the NHL team, and some are going to have to go through waivers next season

I'm just saying that if Weber plays really well, it could be Clendening instead of Weber

On the flip side, if Weber plays well, he could have decent trade value, and if JB thinks Clendening can fill that role, why not. In this sense, I think the Weber/Clendening debate has a lot of similarity to Lack/Markstrom debate, with a lot depending on how Weber and Lack play from this point on (with the exception of the latter having a 3rd alternative of trading the veteran Ryan Miller)

Edited by Dasein

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton - Clendening

I REALLY hope that our D core isn't this static heading in to next year. IMO (beyond the draft, re-signing expiring contracts, moving a goalie etc) the right side of our D should be Benning's main focus for this summer.

IMO one of Hammer/Bieksa (or way outside chance of Tanev) needs to be moved and either via UFA or trade we need to bring in a legit #2D to pair with Edler.

Edler, UFA/trade

Sbisa, Tanev

Should be our top 4 IMO. Third pairing will depend on who we keep of Hamhuis/Bieksa. Of course, if we move Miller we might be able to keep both (assuming we also let Matthias walk, move Higgins etc) and spend that ~$6m on said mystery #2 D-man.

A Hamhuis/Bieksa third pairing, the above top 4, with Stanton and either Weber or Clendening as spares and Corrado as first call up would be ridiculous depth.

But yeah...Sven... :lol:

Really hope they give him at least a look on the 2nd line. Baer, Bonino, Vrbata. WD will probably make him start on the 3rd with Bo though and IMO that's not a good fit. Baer's skill set compliments Bonino/Vrbata (and vice versa) far better than Horvat/Hansen IMO.

Edited by J.R.

Wow, Baertschi showing that he might be able to replace Matthias. I know it's against Arizona but still a very good showing tonight so far.

I agree, even when he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he's actively looking to find ways he can be effective, by getting open at the right times or being in good position on the defensive side of the puck.

Good game thus far, hopefully he gets a chance or two in the third.