The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

The way I look at it, the sky's the limit with this kid. The thing about Gaunce is that most people are doubting his abilities so you don't need to look far for motivation to make it to the top. The only thing lacking in his game imo is his skating which has massively improved since we drafted him.

Players with great hockey sense always find their way into the NHL, it's up to them how high they wanna go. Gaunce looks like he's aiming high and is looking to prove people wrong so don't be foolish enough to set a cap at how high he can go. Competitors with something to prove always surprise people and become fan favorites.

Remember, he was called the most NHL ready prospect in the draft and he's going to have had 2 years to work on his skills and skating so don't underestimate him.

Only on CDC does one of our prospects being cut from team Canada make them a failure.

Lots of great prospects have been cut from the world junior team.

The fact that he was invited when the coach basically thinks he has no offensive game, means that his defensive game is that good.

• Upvote 1

People keep mentioning Gaunce's skating ability, like it's an issue.

You don't have to be an Olympic skating coach to recognize the effortless fluidity of an exceptional skater like a Paul Coffee vs say one of the Sedin's.

But from the few games in prospects camp and pre season games, I don't recall ever wondering if this big talented kid can keep up.

He's definitely got above average talents all round, but so did Alexander Daigle. The only question mark with Gaunce is intensity, that'll be the difference maker as he matures.

After all of those high light packages you must have watched yes I hope he does to based on your expert opinion.

I have only seen high lights of Horvat and Shinkaruk as well though. They're barely going to be 4th line players as well. Must be busts, Gillis should trade him. I have faith based on such expert opinion as

"Highlight packages"

Seriously, go troll elsewhere. Your tired nonsense is bothersome. If you don't like it, don't comment on it please, you're only looking for attention and it is going to blow up in your face. Much like your every post will be thrown at you once Gaunce is doing fine on our third line provided Gillis doesn't mess up

The fact of the matter is, watching Horvat and Shinkaruk's highlights would lead anyone to believe that they will be studs. I cannot say the same for Gaunce. In fact I took your advice I watched a whole game of Gaunce online. It was from earlier in the year when he was on the Bulls. My opinion was even stronger after watching that. I admit his hockey IQ is awesomem but there are lots of guys who can think the game amazingly, but simply don't have the tools to hit the next level. Gaunce is one of these players. In his first 3 years, I am hoping that he can be a solid, cheap checking forward. But if the opportunity comes for Gillis to trade him (top 6 forward package), then he definitely should.

It also seems like more of us who roam this message boards are beginning to agree with me! Amazing right? Maybe you should start calling everyone else a troll whom disagrees with you.

Nice sarcasm though man. You must have a lot of built up anger if you are going to take it all out on some guy in an internet forum who disagrees with you. Really showing your true colors, Warhippy.

The fact of the matter is, watching Horvat and Shinkaruk's highlights would lead anyone to believe that they will be studs. I cannot say the same for Gaunce. In fact I took your advice I watched a whole game of Gaunce online. It was from earlier in the year when he was on the Bulls. My opinion was even stronger after watching that. I admit his hockey IQ is awesomem but there are lots of guys who can think the game amazingly, but simply don't have the tools to hit the next level. Gaunce is one of these players. In his first 3 years, I am hoping that he can be a solid, cheap checking forward. But if the opportunity comes for Gillis to trade him (top 6 forward package), then he definitely should.

It also seems like more of us who roam this message boards are beginning to agree with me! Amazing right? Maybe you should start calling everyone else a troll whom disagrees with you.

Nice sarcasm though man. You must have a lot of built up anger if you are going to take it all out on some guy in an internet forum who disagrees with you. Really showing your true colors, Warhippy.

No one spends alot of time just ripping on the kid like you do.

• Upvote 1

Can you proved any examples of past NHL tweezers, prospects or AHL for lifers who have amazing hockey IQ but couldn't make the NHL full time? I'm asking cause this point you made about agreeing with his hockey IQ had me curious. I couldn't come up with the immediate example of anyone who has amazing hockey IQ that didn't find a niche or a way into the NHL.

For example, Chris Tanev when he broke into the league was someone that just screamed to me, this kid is in the NHL because of the hockey sense he exhibits on the ice. Despite the many deficiencies he had in his game at the time, no shot, not physical, etc. His hockey IQ single handed helped him into the NHL.

I dont think this kid is a bust. Only canuck prospect I will consider a bust will be Jensen. And Hockey Canada has to do a better job a selecting the best team not the best players for the World Jr.'s. I'll actually be shocked if Canada wins gold this year.

• Upvote 2

Gaunce was doing great with the Bulls. 26 points in 22 gms with the worst team in the OHL. Hopefully he starts ripping it up.

Potential wise he is going to be a safe really good 3rd line center(Steve Ott type), unless he builds some skating speed, if he does that we are looking at a guy who can be a Kesler type of player, without the great shot.

Gaunce was doing great with the Bulls. 26 points in 22 gms with the worst team in the OHL. Hopefully he starts ripping it up.

Potential wise he is going to be a safe really good 3rd line center(Steve Ott type), unless he builds some skating speed, if he does that we are looking at a guy who can be a Kesler type of player, without the great shot.

Comparing Gaunces shot to Kesler's at the same age is hilarious. Gaunce's shot is literally miles a head of where Kesler's was at the same age.

Maybe you weren't around when Kesler was 19, but he was a checking center who could skate well, but wasn't a great shooter by any means.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=67780

Kesler only had 11 goals in his 19 year old season of college hockey. He also only had 3 goals in his first season in the A.

He worked really hard on improving his shot, and broke out in his second season in the A, with 30 goals as a 22 year old...

Guance already scores pro style goals, and he will translate better to the pro game than Kesler did at the same age. If he works really hard, he could be better than Kes, potential is there.

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 3

Comparing Gaunces shot to Kesler's at the same age is hilarious. Gaunce's shot is literally miles a head of where Kesler's was at the same age.

Maybe you weren't around when Kesler was 19, but he was a checking center who could skate well, but wasn't a great shooter by any means.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=67780

Kesler only had 11 goals in his 19 year old season of college hockey. He also only had 3 goals in his first season in the A.

He worked really hard on improving his shot, and broke out in his second season in the A, with 30 goals as a 22 year old...

Guance already scores pro style goals, and he will translate better to the pro game than Kesler did at the same age. If he works really hard, he could be better than Kes, potential is there.

Kesler had a great accurate shot, nothing about power. Now we can see that he now has a great overall shot, which i dont think Gaunce will have.

Also criticizing peoples age without knowing anything is a low in my books.

Edited by Blueberries

I dont think this kid is a bust. Only canuck prospect I will consider a bust will be Jensen. And Hockey Canada has to do a better job a selecting the best team not the best players for the World Jr.'s. I'll actually be shocked if Canada wins gold this year.

Gaunce and his speed would have been exposed greatly in a tournament of the best U-20 in the world. Gauthier who probably beat out Gaunce for the 4th line center role is a better skater than Gaunce in every way but still looks a little slow out there on the ice. I know people will say he played on international ice in Bellville but poor skating is poor skating no matter how you shake it.

He ever improves in this regard and he may make it as a 4th line center in the NHL. He also needs to add more jam to his game.

• Upvote 1

Kesler had a great accurate shot, nothing about power. Now we can see that he now has a great overall shot, which i dont think Gaunce will have.

Also criticizing peoples age without knowing anything is a low in my books.

I just figure that someone who perhaps followed Keslers development would know he wasn't a great shooter in his early years.

I'm pretty sure, Luongo said Gaunce has a good shot in training camp this year. Getting praise from a veteran goalie who's faced some of the best shooters in the world, and Kesler on a nightly basis would bode well for a 19 year old, as far as how good his "Overall shot" could be, but I'm no expert.

Maybe you'll be right and Gaunce won't be a great overall shooter, but he's ahead of Kesler at the same age, if he works as hard as Kes did on his shot, he could get there.

Lets just be happy we have a three zone big centre/winger with apprently a high hockey IQ. I have little doubt this guy is going to make it in the NHL....I hope it's with Vcr. Character type player...what's not to like.

To many reactionary fans. One day a player is an all-star the next he's a bum. You gotta think a little longer term than the last game. What ever your job chances are you're better now than you were the first day you started. Most people hit their peak years late thirties early forties