The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

With the addition of 4 shiny new 1st round picks since, he's become somewhat of a novelty pick. People like newer shinier things and Gaunce doesn't hold the same caché as a Dynamic Shinkaruk, a Bergeron like Horvat, an offensive McCann and a historical pick like Virtanen.

People still follow him, its just so much has happen since his draft that he's been somewhat forgotten, ergo the monicker.

Just because people are also showing interest in our other prospects (prospects who are more offensively dynamic or have already made the NHL FYI) doesn't mean he's "forgotten". As I said earlier, there's plenty of discussion on here about him.

He'll be a good role player for us down the line, there's plenty of people here who recognize what he offers and frequently talk about him. Sorry, I don't see the "issue".

With the addition of 4 shiny new 1st round picks since, he's become somewhat of a novelty pick. People like newer shinier things and Gaunce doesn't hold the same caché as a Dynamic Shinkaruk, a Bergeron like Horvat, an offensive McCann and a historical pick like Virtanen.

People still follow him, its just so much has happen since his draft that he's been somewhat forgotten, ergo the monicker.

So do you read people's minds then and know what they think about Gaunce or do you just assume he's forgotten in order to try and make yourself sounds like you know what you're talking about?

I'm thinking the later because, if Gaunce was forgotten, we wouldn't exactly be posting here now and talking about him now would we? ;)

Edited by The Lock

So do you read people's minds then and know what they think about Gaunce or do you just assume he's forgotten in order to try and make yourself sounds like you know what you're talking about?

I'm thinking the later because, if Gaunce was forgotten, we wouldn't exactly be posting here now and talking about him now would we? ;)

Shhh! Stop talking about Gaunce, he's "forgotten"!

Center is a tougher position to play well and Gaunce was not doing well enough at the center position. I like Gaunce but it looks to me like his ceiling is probably as a defensively responsible bottom 6 winger in the NHL. But frankly, there is no guarantee he will even make the NHL.

More like Utica has strong depth up the center.

O'reilly

Will Acton

Dustin Jeffrey

more I can't think of atm.

Gaunce has been playing really well and so Green is using him in the top 6. Many of you underrate his offensive game. He's been both offensively and defensively good.

• Upvote 2

Just because people are also showing interest in our other prospects (prospects who are more offensively dynamic or have already made the NHL FYI) doesn't mean he's "forgotten". As I said earlier, there's plenty of discussion on here about him.

He'll be a good role player for us down the line, there's plenty of people here who recognize what he offers and frequently talk about him. Sorry, I don't see the "issue".

It's an expression that you guys are taking way too seriously.

Over the course of the last year, year and a half, would you guys not agree that we (CDC) have discussed more about our most recent picks?

I'm saying his been maybe lost in the shuffle when people are evaluating the future of the Canucks. I see very often circulating on other prospects page, predicted lineups where Gaunce may not even been mentioned. People like to talk about Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc.

It's an expression that you guys are taking way too seriously.

Over the course of the last year, year and a half, would you guys not agree that we (CDC) have discussed more about our most recent picks?

I'm saying his been maybe lost in the shuffle when people are evaluating the future of the Canucks. I see very often circulating on other prospects page, predicted lineups where Gaunce may not even been mentioned. People like to talk about Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc.

He's no longer one of 5-10 good prospects. We have probably closer to 20 good prospects now.

Virtanen being the highest pick we've had since the Sedins and was playing in the WJC.

Horvat is the youngest player to make the NHL club in decades.

Shinkaruk is an exciting player in his first pro season.

Cassels is a 3rd rounder far exceeding everyone's expectations.

McCann is developing nicely and his team just seriously loaded up for a Mem cup run.

Gaunce is developing nicely in his first pro season but he has to SHARE the spotlight with these guys who also have exciting things happening.

Seriously, get over it. Are you his sister or something?

• Upvote 2

More like Utica has strong depth up the center.

O'reilly

Will Acton

Dustin Jeffrey

more I can't think of atm.

Gaunce has been playing really well and so Green is using him in the top 6. Many of you underrate his offensive game. He's been both offensively and defensively good.

i'm a big fan of gaunce, i just don't know how anyone can say he'll be better than any of our other top prospects at this point. all of their careers can still go in any direction. it's way too early to say one way or the other who will have a better career.

Edited by avelanch

He's no longer one of 5-10 good prospects. We have probably closer to 20 good prospects now.

Virtanen being the highest pick we've had since the Sedins and was playing in the WJC.

Horvat is the youngest player to make the NHL club in decades.

Shinkaruk is an exciting player in his first pro season.

Cassels is a 3rd rounder far exceeding everyone's expectations.

McCann is developing nicely and his team just seriously loaded up for a Mem cup run.

Gaunce is developing nicely in his first pro season but he has to SHARE the spotlight with these guys who also have exciting things happening.

Seriously, get over it. Are you his sister or something?

Nice. Use derogatory remarks to make your point, good one.

I'm not saying he deserved more attention, or anything like that. I was just merely pointing out he was pushed back in the prospect fold/rank as you suggested, but should not be "forgotten".

• Upvote 4

Nice. Use derogatory remarks to make your point, good one.

I'm not saying he deserved more attention, or anything like that. I was just merely pointing out he was pushed back in the prospect fold/rank as you suggested, but should not be "forgotten".

I'm pretty sure I made my point without my closing comment which was actually somewhat serious? I'm curious as to why your so invested in how much of the prospect spotlight Gaunce has to share.

Are you his sister? Agent? Grilfriend? Mom? Are you Hodgson's dad with some weird misplaced parental coddling directed to Gaunce?

You've made a mountain out of a molehill and steered his thread off topic which seems counter to your stated goal. Strange.

Edited by J.R.

I think everyone can agree that Gaunce has kind of been left behind, he's still a 1st rounder but people like talking about McCann, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Virtanen, Cassels more than Gaunce maybe because they're more "exciting" players or higher draft picks or newer prospects. Gaunce was ranked as 13th for NA skaters in the final CSS rankings for his draft, Horvat was 15th. 2013 was a deeper draft you could say but Gaunce shouldn't have low expectations.

• Upvote 2

^^^ agreed.

Not sure why people got worked up that someone called him "The Forgotten One" as he is often overlooked among the top-tier prospects that we have (Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Virtanen, McCann)