The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Played center this weekend between Shinkaruk and Zalewski and looked really good. That Gaunce and Zalewski tandem is excellent. They're the 1st unit PK forwards and were the 1st pairing out on the 3on3 OT. 

It really makes me wonder if he's being playing hurt for a while or if he just responds well to playing center. Either way he's making a case to be the 1st call up if a spot opens up in the bottom 6.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Played center this weekend between Shinkaruk and Zalewski and looked really good. That Gaunce and Zalewski tandem is excellent. They're the 1st unit PK forwards and were the 1st pairing out on the 3on3 OT. 

It really makes me wonder if he's being playing hurt for a while or if he just responds well to playing center. Either way he's making a case to be the 1st call up if a spot opens up in the bottom 6.

Not surprising, he was very close to making the main team during preseason. Looking back, it's curious that they picked McCann over Gaunce.

On 1/16/2016 at 8:14 PM, The 5th Line said:

Alfy at it again,  talking out of your furry butt.  You have watched him play two friggin games this year, one of which he scored a goal when he was literally on top of the goalie and the other game he was barely givin any ice time.  You know little to nothing about Brendan Gaunce, it's very frustrating reading all of your contradicting comments.  Manny Malholtra?  Brendan is being converted to a left winger.

I have watched most of the Utica games - like in this last game, Gaunce plays centre.  He plays the role of a big, physical, skilled centre with decent wheels, great balance and a great shot.  In the NHL he could be a two or a three.  Though his defensive play is consistent, and he does well on the draws, his offense runs hot and cold - but that is true of most players.  Like his OT goal, he is big and strong enough to pull through guys and has a great wrist shot.  He has very strong board play and makes very good short passes - particularly in his own end.  He will go to the net and fight for possession.  He is much better as a centre than as a winger.  His goal in OT showed a lot of what he brings when he is on his game - he takes the opening draw forward, muscles past the centre, pulls past the centre, gets loose enough to fire a bullet past the goalie.  Not bad for five seconds of work, and his second goal of the game - the first was the game tying goal from in close with not much time left.

He is big and powerful, and now skating is no longer an issue.  He will be pushing for a spot this fall - I've no doubt he can outplay Cracknell.

• Upvote 2

Gaunce had an excellent game. The OT goal was great. He flew in and just ripped his shot. 5 seconds and it was all done but the crying. He was chippy and hard working all game. He really rubbed the other team the wrong way. His tying goal was all hard work and effort. He was great all game. The release on his winner was amazing though, so accurate and fast.

14 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Not surprising, he was very close to making the main team during preseason. Looking back, it's curious that they picked McCann over Gaunce.

Gaunce could be called up anytime, allowing McCann to develop his NHL game instead of being sent back to the SSM Greyhounds.  It's a good move for both players, especially Gaunce who was switched to wing by management to force him to get in on the forecheck, play grittier and develop his board skills, which in the end was to make him a better center man.  It's beginning to look like the time he spent on the wing is paying off and he could be in the opening roster next season. The kid's a beauty!

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched most of the Utica games - like in this last game, Gaunce plays centre.  He plays the role of a big, physical, skilled centre with decent wheels, great balance and a great shot.  In the NHL he could be a two or a three.  Though his defensive play is consistent, and he does well on the draws, his offense runs hot and cold - but that is true of most players.  Like his OT goal, he is big and strong enough to pull through guys and has a great wrist shot.  He has very strong board play and makes very good short passes - particularly in his own end.  He will go to the net and fight for possession.  He is much better as a centre than as a winger.  His goal in OT showed a lot of what he brings when he is on his game - he takes the opening draw forward, muscles past the centre, pulls past the centre, gets loose enough to fire a bullet past the goalie.  Not bad for five seconds of work, and his second goal of the game - the first was the game tying goal from in close with not much time left.

He is big and powerful, and now skating is no longer an issue.  He will be pushing for a spot this fall - I've no doubt he can outplay Cracknell.

Where is Van's big C coming from in the future? Horvat has size but is he a 1C, to early to tell. The way Gaunce is being developed in Utica is encouraging as he will have a balanced approach which should make his transition to the NHL easier. I envisioned Gaunce pushing for 3C at some point.

Draft priorities for Van is a 1D and 1C. With movement of vets there is a chance that Benning will have 2 first round picks.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Yotes said:

any particular reason why Gaunce was playing C over Z? I thought the Canucks preferred Gaunce as a LW?

Time to get his brother signed to a 2way deal in the summer? or get Benn's brother and try and hope to hell he wants to sign here as a ufa

Is Cameron a UFA thus year?

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

went from texas stars to portland, dallas was texas nhl team, not sure who portland belongs too or how long his deal is for.

How would we sign him to a 2 way deal if you don't even know if his term is over? Why don't we sign ovechkin this offseason...

9 minutes ago, Yotes said:

any particular reason why Gaunce was playing C over Z? I thought the Canucks preferred Gaunce as a LW?

Time to get his brother signed to a 2way deal in the summer? or get Benn's brother and try and hope to hell he wants to sign here as a ufa

Shinkaruk is the left winger on that line and I guess Zalewski is better suited to playing right wing than Gaunce. Those 3 are the best players on the team right now so it's not a surprise that they are being put together on the 1st line. Grenier has been dropped down coming off of injury and the emergence of Zalewski, but he's still getting top PP time with Gaunce and Shinkaruk. The PP2 unit is Higgins Friesen Zalewski. That's the way the team looked this weekend, but Green loves to juggle his lineup, so who knows what the lineup will look like in the future. There are tons of bodies there now with the Comets getting healthy and the Canucks also getting healthy and sending their spare parts down.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

How would we sign him to a 2 way deal if you don't even know if his term is over? Why don't we sign ovechkin this offseason...

Well since you insist being sarcastic I looked it up, he is an rfa at season end playing for floridas ahl team. But I wonder if he will get tendered a contract or not, he signed with florida in the summer so he wasnt tendered a contract from dallas at all then

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Well since you insist being sarcastic I looked it up, he is an rfa at season end playing for floridas ahl team. But I wonder if he will get tendered a contract or not, he signed with florida in the summer so he wasnt tendered a contract from dallas at all then

Yeah. I'd be all for acquiring him. Very good depth defensman. Not just a family move but a good hockey deal. Could be our next Biega.