The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

No way. I dont take Nichushkin over Horvat. He has mad outside speed and size but Horvat has a higher hockey IQ , better hands and much better defensive game.

At first I was furious they didn't draft Nichushkin, I think he has a much higher ceiling. But after learning a little more about Horvat, I'm ok with it. Also finding out the Nuchushkin's agent is Mark Gandler, MUCH happier that we don't have to deal with that headcase.

It is too bad that we didn't get a little more for Schneider, I would have thought that Philly would have given up their 1st pick this year (should have taken Zadorov) plus a strong roster player (Simmonds/Coburn). You don't win trades with Uncle Lou, but you sure can against the nuckleheads that occupy the offices in Philly.

Alot of you make it seem that picking Horvat was a no brainer instead of Nichuskin. They're is a reason why Nichuskin was drafted one after Horvat.

It may not be a no brainer, but it is certainly a safer pick. Nichushkin is a high risk, high reward player.

It may not be a no brainer, but it is certainly a safer pick. Nichushkin is a high risk, high reward player.

I know that but some people say he has 1 move... If he has 1 move then why is he picked at 10? That is my question to some people.

I know that but some people say he has 1 move... If he has 1 move then why is he picked at 10? That is my question to some people.

Scouts in Vancouver had Bo ranked higher than Val and had met with him quite for a long interview during the combine or whenever they do the rookie/team meetings. If he wasn't available, from what i've heard through the grapevine (take this with a grain of salt), they were interested in Domi, Mantha, Val and then Hunter. McCarron also had a meeting with them, but he thought he would go later than 24th, so he didn't see much interest.

don't read into this too much, because hockey players are known to inflate their ego's quite a bit. but, i heard from multiple well connected people that they were VERY high on Bo.

Can't wait till Canucks fans see this guy compete in the world juniors so they can see how good he is, rather than just read hockeys future and say that he's only going to be a third liner.

Then maybe they'll shut up about us getting ripped off in the trade.

• Upvote 3

Alot of you make it seem that picking Horvat was a no brainer instead of Nichuskin. They're is a reason why Nichuskin was drafted one after Horvat.

However if it was a different team at 10 maybe Val would have gone to 11.

Can we just agree that Horvat is low-risk medium-reward and Nichuskin is high-risk high-reward? And that with the Schneider trade being such a blockbuster, having Valeri bust and getting nothing back would spell the end of Gillis' career as a GM in VAN, and maybe in the NHL.

Can we just agree that Horvat is low-risk medium-reward and Nichuskin is high-risk high-reward? And that with the Schneider trade being such a blockbuster, having Valeri bust and getting nothing back would spell the end of Gillis' career as a GM in VAN, and maybe in the NHL.

Oh yeah, I completely agree that Horvat was the right pick, no risk in Horvat of him going to the KHL.

f3ccc30789a53a1f45cbb10cfae5315a_normal.pngVancouver Canucks@VanCanucks1m

#Canucks prospects @BoHorvat and Nicklas Jensen are attending the 2013 NHLPA Rookie Showcase in Toronto right now...

Now in its fifth year, this unique event will once again provide Panini America and Upper Deck – the two official trading card partners of the NHLPA and the NHL – with an exclusive opportunity to photograph many of the game’s top young prospects/rookies in their official NHL team uniforms, in shots that will be used for upcoming trading card and memorabilia launches.

The list of invitees includes MacKinnon (Colorado), Barkov (Florida), Tyler Biggs (Maple Leafs), Brendan Gallagher (Canadiens), Jonathan Drouin (Lightning), Cory Conacher (Senators), Bo Horvat (Canucks),Sean Monahan (Flames), Malcolm Subban (Bruins), Christian Thomas (Canadiens), Adam Clendening(Blackhawks), Mathew Dumba (Wild), Mikhail Grigorenko (Sabres), Tomas Hertl (Sharks), Boone Jenner (Blue Jackets), Nic Jensen (Canucks), Danny Kristo (Rangers), Dylan McIlrath (Rangers), Mark McNeill (Blackhawks), Jon Merrill (Devils), Petr Mrazek (Red Wings), Valeri Nichushkin (Stars), Tanner Pearson(Kings), Derrick Pouliot (Penguins), Matt Puempel (Senators), Ty Rattie (Blues) and Tom Wilson (Capitals).

Of the group, eight have already made their NHL debuts. Six of them — Thomas, Grigorenko, Pearson, Jensen, Mrazek, and Wilson — had a limited impact last year; Gallagher earned a Calder Trophy nomination and Conacher finished third among all first-year scorers, with 29 points.

Edited by avelanch

Now in its fifth year, this unique event will once again provide Panini America and Upper Deck – the two official trading card partners of the NHLPA and the NHL – with an exclusive opportunity to photograph many of the game’s top young prospects/rookies in their official NHL team uniforms, in shots that will be used for upcoming trading card and memorabilia launches.

The list of invitees includes MacKinnon (Colorado), Barkov (Florida), Tyler Biggs (Maple Leafs), Brendan Gallagher (Canadiens), Jonathan Drouin (Lightning), Cory Conacher (Senators), Bo Horvat (Canucks),Sean Monahan (Flames), Malcolm Subban (Bruins), Christian Thomas (Canadiens), Adam Clendening(Blackhawks), Mathew Dumba (Wild), Mikhail Grigorenko (Sabres), Tomas Hertl (Sharks), Boone Jenner (Blue Jackets), Nic Jensen (Canucks), Danny Kristo (Rangers), Dylan McIlrath (Rangers), Mark McNeill (Blackhawks), Jon Merrill (Devils), Petr Mrazek (Red Wings), Valeri Nichushkin (Stars), Tanner Pearson(Kings), Derrick Pouliot (Penguins), Matt Puempel (Senators), Ty Rattie (Blues) and Tom Wilson (Capitals).

Of the group, eight have already made their NHL debuts. Six of them — Thomas, Grigorenko, Pearson, Jensen, Mrazek, and Wilson — had a limited impact last year; Gallagher earned a Calder Trophy nomination and Conacher finished third among all first-year scorers, with 29 points.

Nice, I believe Schroeder and Hodgson went to one of these things.

Can't wait till Canucks fans see this guy compete in the world juniors so they can see how good he is, rather than just read hockeys future and say that he's only going to be a third liner.

Then maybe they'll shut up about us getting ripped off in the trade.

I think he will be as good as Ryan Kesler.

He is more of a no-risk medium to high-reward player.

I have no problem seeing him as a first line centre or a Kesler style second line centre (Bo has better hands than Kesler did and at least as good as Kesler does now).

Both those outcomes are high reward, worst case he becomes an average 2nd or good 3rd line centre or medium reward type player.

Any of those three outcomes are equally possible in my mind.

So way safer choice than a Russian.

Yes Gillis would be gone if we chose Val and he was a bust.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

In my opinion either you rule as a Russian............or you go back to the KHL. There inst a huge interest to remain in North America to earn peanuts.

Nowadays its getting even harder to keep Russians unless they are elite level players earning huge dollars. Gillis made the best move by taking Horvat. Its a huge gamble to think you can keep Russians now. Its basically all or nothing most of the time.

Edited by Absent Canuck

Heads up for anybody interested. I spoke to the Knights merch guy, he runs the ordering and all that. I asked how much they'd want for Horvat jerseys to BC, and he said around $225 fully stitched. He'd reduce shipping costs to make it work.

Also, he intends to make the "Bo Knows" shirts again this year, but he hasn't been given the greenlight to make any more Horvat merch yet. Take that for what it's worth, but according to him, he's been told theres about a 40% chance he stays in Vancouver. He's the only Knights besides Zadorov (visa issue) who hasn't returned yet to Knights training camp.