The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Yeah of course - blame the refs. Henrik went 56%, Richardson 47% and Bonino 44% despite the "tampering" by refs, so I'm gonna chalk this one up as Bo having a bad night in the circle (not that Richie and Bones had a good night - they were below 50% too). Also, taking into consideration that Bo was 50% or better in only two out of seven games on this road trip (WSH & TOR), it wasn't just the refs even if they were "helping" like you suggest.

Road teams are at a disadvantage on faceoffs and that is a better explanation for Bo's subpar numbers. So far, Bo is 67.39% at home but is 51.75% on the road. He just had a bad road game in the circle.

Did you never learn that over-aggregating data washes out important trends? Treating all draws as the same is an amateur mistake.

Bo had much a lower FO % because he was tasked with almost exclusively defensive zone faceoffs. Those were the ones refs were likely to tilt in favour of Montreal. Ozone faceoffs were actually won more by the Canucks which is quite odd. Centres tend to save their best moves for defensive zone draws.

From watching the games, Bo seemed to be okay for a 19 year old, but I'm not sold yet. I'd let him play 20-30 more games before I'd form an opinion on Bo. But so far, I'm not exactly sold.

Im confused at what your expectations for Horvat are exactly? If making the team as a 19 year old, the first to do so for the club in like 20 years, doesnt do it for you nothing will.

• Upvote 1

Im confused at what your expectations for Horvat are exactly? If making the team as a 19 year old, the first to do so for the club in like 20 years, doesnt do it for you nothing will.

Just don't know if he can improve offensively with 10 mins and be able to explore that part of his game, but I don't think he has some space to do so when mistakes are much more costly than it is at jrs.

Just don't know if he can improve offensively with 10 mins and be able to explore that part of his game, but I don't think he has some space to do so when mistakes are much more costly than it is at jrs.

He won't be playing 10 minutes forever...

Also, 10 minutes of NHL playing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 20+ minutes of Junior.

• Upvote 2

He'll get used to the pace of play in the NHL by playing 10 minutes a night. Over time, he will become more comfortable and start to open up his offensive game.

Toe drags on junior defensemen is fine and all, but I am of the opinion that you get NHL skills while competing against NHL talent.

The WJC would have been a great opportunity to play in pressure filled situations with highly skilled players. However Canucks' coaches and management obviously decided it was better for the team, and Bo, to keep him up. I think by time Bo is 21/22 (year 3/4) he will be producing quality offence to go along with his stellar defence.

Did you never learn that over-aggregating data washes out important trends? Treating all draws as the same is an amateur mistake.

Bo had much a lower FO % because he was tasked with almost exclusively defensive zone faceoffs. Those were the ones refs were likely to tilt in favour of Montreal. Ozone faceoffs were actually won more by the Canucks which is quite odd. Centres tend to save their best moves for defensive zone draws.

Did you even look at the faceoff report from that game? Tasked almost exclusively defensive zone faceoffs? Bo took only 3 of his 8 draws (38%) in the defensive zone. Hank took 7 of his 16 draws (44% of faceoffs taken) in the defensive zone and Richardson took 8 of 17 (47% of faceoffs taken). All the while, Hank posted 56% and Richardson 47%, respectively. So clearly, not only was Bo NOT tasked almost exclusively with defensive zone faceoffs, guys that actually took higher percentage of draws in the defensive zone than Bo did better than Bo on faceoffs that night. Care to explain this strange phenomenon with another conspiracy theory?

Not even looking at the data properly before making silly assertions is the real amateur mistake.

Another silly assertion you make - the Vancouver defensive zone draws were the ones that the refs were likely to "tilt" in favour of Montreal, but not the Montreal defensive zone draws? Are you freaking kidding me?

According to your theory, in a tight scoring 1-0, 1-1 then 2-1 game (before the EN goal), the refs tilted the faceoffs in favour of Montreal only in Montreal's offensive zone, but surprisingly, they allowed faceoffs to be done fair in Montreal's defensive zone and Vancouver won more draws there. Why? Why the hell would they not tilt the faceoffs in Montreal's defensive zone, of all places? Wouldn't the refs want to tilt the faceoffs in favour of Montreal in Montreal's defensive zone so that they don't get scored on? Those are the ones that are the most crucial, no? Then, if the refs were to fix the faceoffs in any one particular zone, wouldn't they do it in Montreal's defensive zone, so that they can get out safely without getting scored on? You brought a game back from two weekends ago just to say these two things that don't even make sense?

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=737344&navid=DL|VAN|home

I'm a little disappointed but it is purely for selfish reasons. I wanted to see Bo win Gold on home soil and come back a beast, but in the end its better for the team in the short-run and long-run, according to JB.

I think it was the right decision. Firstly we couldn't afford to send him due to injuries. Secondly the writings were on the wall that Bo wouldn't be a top-6 forward if he was released IMO.

Domi - Reinhart - Duclair

Petan - McDavid - Fabbri/Virtanen

If Bo goes, he would play at center. With Reinhart and McDavid anchoring #1 and #2, there was very little chance of Bo playing a top 6 role. Rather, because he's so good defensively, he would probably have been anchoring the 3C - which is not that much better than playing 4C on the Canucks. In fact, it's probably worse for him since at least here he would play against men.

I think it was the right decision. Firstly we couldn't afford to send him due to injuries. Secondly the writings were on the wall that Bo wouldn't be a top-6 forward if he was released IMO.

Domi - Reinhart - Duclair

Petan - McDavid - Fabbri/Virtanen

If Bo goes, he would play at center. With Reinhart and McDavid anchoring #1 and #2, there was very little chance of Bo playing a top 6 role. Rather, because he's so good defensively, he would probably have been anchoring the 3C - which is not that much better than playing 4C on the Canucks. In fact, it's probably worse for him since at least here he would play against men.

Last year Bo centered both those guys...Reinhart and McDavid played wing and McDavid kept missing the net on Bo setups.

Lack of centers that can take draws? Horvat takes an average of less than 10 draws per game and is not counted on for faceoffs in key situations - we have 3 centers who take more draws than Bo does.

We would lack a 4th line center that can be relied on to take a few draws if we were to miss Bo for a few games.

Last year Bo centered both those guys...Reinhart and McDavid played wing and McDavid kept missing the net on Bo setups.

And somehow had less points than either Reinhart or McDavid. There's no denying these two are ahead on Team Canada's center depth chart because they are offensively talented. Bo will have been relied on to play the shutdown 3rd line center role and contribute with some secondary scoring while Reinhart and McDavid carry the load offensively.

Lack of centers that can take draws? Horvat takes an average of less than 10 draws per game and is not counted on for faceoffs in key situations - we have 3 centers who take more draws than Bo does.

We would lack a 4th line center that can be relied on to take a few draws if we were to miss Bo for a few games.

And somehow had less points than either Reinhart or McDavid. There's no denying these two are ahead on Team Canada's center depth chart because they are offensively talented. Bo will have been relied on to play the shutdown 3rd line center role and contribute with some secondary scoring while Reinhart and McDavid carry the load offensively.

Your opinion...not the right one though... with McDavids hand there is little doubt Bo would be centering him again this year for FO'S and winning battles McDavid would be needing Bo on his line.