The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Burke is bringing that team places.

He learned from his mistakes in TOR :lol::lol::lol:

Those poor bastards in Leafs land stuck with Kessel and Phaneuf instead of Seguin and Hamilton

NHL.com article on the Schneider-Horvat trade

Schneider-Horvat trade worked for Devils, Canucks

Friday, 02.20.2015 / 1:47 PM / NHL Insider
By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer
NEWARK, N.J. -- Bo Horvat had no idea the Vancouver Canucks had their sights set on him when the Canucks acquired the ninth pick of the 2013 NHL Draft from the New Jersey Devils in exchange for goaltender Cory Schneider.

Even though Schneider was the more experienced player in the trade, he and Horvat will be linked as a result of that draft-day transaction.

"I would like to hope that they traded me for another good player," Schneider said. "The Canucks had an area of surplus with goaltending at the time and New Jersey had a need. I'm sure it will be linked but it was a hockey trade that works out for both teams.

"In the end I think both sides will say they were pretty happy with the deal."

The 6-foot, 206-pound left-handed shooting Horvat is grateful to have an opportunity in Vancouver as a 19-year-old.

Horvat will get his second chance to play against Schneider when the Canucks visit the Devils at Prudential Center on Friday. In the earlier meeting Horvat had one shot on goal and one hit in a 2-0 victory at Rogers Arena on Nov. 25, 2014.

"I actually had no idea where I was going to go in the draft or what would happen," Horvat said. "As soon as that trade happened I was in shock a little bit and I didn't know where I would go. But once the Canucks called my name I was pretty excited to go to a Canadian city like this and be a part of the Canucks. I was pretty proud."

The trade has worked out for both sides, even though the Canucks are in the thick of the Stanley Cup Playoffs race and the Devils heading toward a third straight season out of the postseason.

"I think if you look at the statistics and drafting a 17- or 18-year-old player, you never know," Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "In Schneider you've got a proven player who had gone through the minor-league and major-league systems so there was no hesitation for us. If you can get a proven player and feel that where you're drafting that player he is much better than anyone you could draft for that given time, and I'm not talking short term but long term, than you can make that move."

Schneider has been the Devils' most valuable player this season, his first as a full-time NHL starting goaltender. Horvat is turning out to be everything the Canucks envisioned when they drafted him. He's second among NHL rookies in faceoff wins (244 of 470, 51.9 percent) and ranks among the top 20 among rookies in goals (eight), assists (nine) and points (17).

It was his ability on faceoffs that allowed him to remain in Vancouver at the start of the season.

"I think I've felt more comfortable as the season has gone on," Horvat said. "Especially for me being a young guy in the League. It took me a little bit to get used to everything. Once you start getting confident and start to hang on to the puck a little more, it definitely helps."

He has five goals and nine points in the past 11 games, including a regulation goal Thursday against the New York Rangers in a 5-4 shootout victory.

Horvat said he credits Canucks coach Willie Desjardins for helping him round out his game at the NHL level.

"All the guys really respect [Desjardins] as a coach," Horvat said. "He loves to win and get the best out of us every night. If we come to work and play it doesn't matter if we win or lose, he's happy with our work ethic."

Desjardins, however, said Horvat deserves credit for how he's grown into a full-time NHL player this season.

"Everything he got he earned," Desjardins said of Horvat. "His line [with Ronalds Kenins and Jannik Hansen] has played really well. It's not a matter of being young but how hard you play and we have a lot of guys playing hard right now. And Bo is one of them."

Horvat said he is happy the Canucks are in position to earn a spot in the playoffs.

"Anytime you're a rookie and have a chance to get into the playoffs, that's huge," Horvat said. "I think we have a team that has some older guys with a lot of character and have been in the League for a while. They know what it takes to get to the Stanley Cup Final. To be in that tight a race in my first year is really cool."

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 2

Might just be an experience thing. There are guys who are in their 30s around the league are nowhere as strong as they used to be but they can win puck battles against younger players because of their experience.

The LAST thing a player loses is strength. The FIRST thing is jump/quickness. By the time strength affects your game you`re already out of the game at that level.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd revive this thread a bit. I know everyone considers him a roster player now, but it still is his rookie season so I like to write in here.

Since his GWG against florida, Horvat's has:

23GP 9G 4A = 13PTS

that's a 0.57 PPG clip..

His production has shown improvement week to week. At this rate, I think he could even get to 30 points in 68; if he plays the remaining 30 games.

At his currently PPG rate, he is on pace for 21 points for 9 goals. I think he gets 25-30 pts with 10-13 goals . He's shown great improvement over the last 10 games.

I think we see him put in one of those bo-drags that have been just missing.

I think im psychic. All jokes aside, this was wishful thinking and im surprised he's now on pace to reach 30 pts (He needed to produce at a 0.6PPG rate to get 30 but 0.57 is close enough).

Excited because he keeps getting better every game.

Thought I'd revive this thread a bit. I know everyone considers him a roster player now, but it still is his rookie season so I like to write in here.

Since his GWG against florida, Horvat's has:

23GP 9G 4A = 13PTS

that's a 0.57 PPG clip..

I think im psychic. All jokes aside, this was wishful thinking and im surprised he's now on pace to reach 30 pts (He needed to produce at a 0.6PPG rate to get 30 but 0.57 is close enough).

Excited because he keeps getting better every game.

good call JS. I would have never predicted he would have this good of a rookie season.

good call JS. I would have never predicted he would have this good of a rookie season.

I had to increase my expectation every week. I really thought he was going back to Junior or atleast the WJC at the start of the season.

Just imagine if he didn't get injured in the pre-season, he maybe?? could have challenged for the Calder? Maybe if there was a Rookie Selke trophy :bigblush:

Horvat has exceeded expectations everywhere he has played, he could be another Mike Peca or he could end up in Jonathan Toews' league.

One thing's for sure, from what I saw in the playoffs last year, he's as close to a can't miss prospect as I've ever seen in the Canucks' system and I would be very surprised if he didn't end up with a long solid NHL career.

• Upvote 2

I wonder when this thread will be officially closed.

Horvat isn't just a fringe NHL player, he's quickly becoming a #2 centre.

After this season it will probably be locked. Nobody has used this in a month anyways. Everybody that reads this should go to Horvat's thread in Canucks Talk. :D

It was the leafs lol. I can't believe how bad Jake Gardiner looked last night.

Bo also made a nice move on Rielly.

I know he's still young but Gardiner just doesn't look like he'll ever be a reliable NHL d-man. I swear every time I see the Laughs play he's responsible for at least one goal and it's as the result of some very questionable decision making.