The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think we saw tonight a glimpse of what we all hoped we were getting in that trade.

Exactly. Played a composed, steady game. Managed Lucic. The only thing missing was the opportunity to pummel kharia's face into a fine paste. 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why trade a 6'5" force of a Dman who is still young, is a right shot, can skate extremely well and plays with attitude.   Why trade that?   If he isn't interested in re-signed at a decent CAP hit then by all means, but if he is the player he was in Florida you want this guy on your team.   

I liked the Gudbranson-Hutton pairing. Would love to have a better understanding of how Hutton sees his game evolving. He put on the extra weight which was a must IMO as he was losing puck battles at 185 - 190. Now at 210. Cannot help but think that Gudbranson can help Hutton over 80 games. Hutton still has the speed to be the offensive side of that pairing. He muscled his way around a Oiler d-man for a ozone chance as much from his size as his speed.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why trade a 6'5" force of a Dman who is still young, is a right shot, can skate extremely well and plays with attitude.   Why trade that?   If he isn't interested in re-signed at a decent CAP hit then by all means, but if he is the player he was in Florida you want this guy on your team.   

He's also very inconsistent. Sure, if he played like he did last night all the time and signed at a decent cap hit he'd be worth keeping, but what's the likelihood of that? There were a lot of games in Florida where he was basically a 6'5 pylon, he's not worth more than he's making at the moment. We paid a lot to get him, other teams have gotten significantly better defensemen for marginally more than what we paid. Hope he plays like he played last night throughout the season so we can get a nice return. 

2 hours ago, TheHitman said:

He's also very inconsistent. Sure, if he played like he did last night all the time and signed at a decent cap hit he'd be worth keeping, but what's the likelihood of that? There were a lot of games in Florida where he was basically a 6'5 pylon, he's not worth more than he's making at the moment. We paid a lot to get him, other teams have gotten significantly better defensemen for marginally more than what we paid. Hope he plays like he played last night throughout the season so we can get a nice return. 

I follow the Panthers more closely than I follow the Canucks and I don't recall any of these "pylon" games you refer to.   You have your opinion about him, I certainly do not share it. I believe that he is a blue-chip defensive Dman who punishes the opposition and can play a key role on any of the 31 teams in the NHL  and any team would be happy/lucky to have him.

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I follow the Panthers more closely than I follow the Canucks and I don't recall any of these "pylon" games you refer to.   You have your opinion about him, I certainly do not share it. I believe that he is a blue-chip defensive Dman who punishes the opposition and can play a key role on any of the 31 teams in the NHL  and any team would be happy/lucky to have him.

But, but..... analytics sez he sux, dude.  And a defenseman that doesn't score is useless.....for some strange reason. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Likely the same people who want Sutter traded for peanuts. What the heck do we need a dzone draw winning, pk'ing and kid sheltering centre who can pot 15-20 goals while playing hard minutes for?

There's no evidence JB was actually willing to do so. Just that that's what Florida was apparently asking for. Even if he was in fact willing, what the other pieces were coming back isn't clear... Maybe it was Demers + Bjustad? Benning would be silly not to at least consider it.

Amen to that...

• Upvote 1