The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

You think every team will give a defenceman >5.5 mil per year ? 

A #1 guy, absolutely. Parayko was given that and he's not even a #1 guy by most standards. He averages less minutes than both Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester.

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

As i said, it also depends on the matchup.

If the 31 1Ds in the league wasnt the comparable used, we'd not see practically every team's 1D making the 5 mil or more range. That salary range exists, because the general consensus to what a 'regular, run of the mill 1D' is, agrees with the way i described it.

Anybody have the Benning quote where he states there's like 8-10 #1D in the league for Stani here? :lol:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Anybody have the Benning quote where he states there's like 8-10 #1D in the league for Stani here? :lol:

"“I don’t know if there’s a true No. 1 defenseman,” he explained. “If you look through the league right now, there’s maybe eight or 10 No. 1 defensemen in the whole league."

https://thecanuckway.com/2016/05/03/vancouver-canucks-draft-olli-juolevi-true-no-1/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

I think 4.5 would be ideal.. i like guddy we need a big dman like that i hope we can get a deal done of some sorts

I think he'll be offered something like 5x5, which I don't think anyone else will match. We have just over 30 mil in cap space next season to re-tool the team. I don't think we'll see both Sven and Granny back, and both Jake and Stecher will almost certianly be offered bridge deals. Pouliot may get one too, but it won't be a huge offer. So 5 for Guddy is very likely imo and leaves 25 mil for the rest of the bridge deals, and maybe a free agent like Kane. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Danke sir.

@canuckistani 

S'all good. 

Its an interesting discussion though isn't it? I think Jim's correct. There is an upper echelon of guys like Karlsson, Doughty, Subban, Weber, Hedman... but the list is pretty short. 

We are simply going to have to draft this guy, if he exists in the next draft or two and we're lucky in the pick order. Maybe a long shot out of a later round (Benn-style).

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

S'all good. 

Its an interesting discussion though isn't it? I think Jim's correct. There is an upper echelon of guys like Karlsson, Doughty, Subban, Weber, Hedman... but the list is pretty short. 

We are simply going to have to draft this guy, if he exists in the next draft or two and we're lucky in the pick order. Maybe a long shot out of a later round (Benn-style).

While a true #1 is certainly nice and would certainly go a long way to turning this rebuild in to a future contender, a top 4 full of #2's like we had in/around 2011 wouldn't be horrible either and is just as likely to lead to success IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

S'all good. 

Indeed. Though these days, elite #1D are PMDs with good size, reach and skating.

With Tanev, Stecher, Olli, Del Zotto and even Hutton all being in the current/immediate future plans, i'd say we need a D who can slap the puck well, play solid shut-down D and be quick on his feet to be our biggest need, defensively. And if we can compile that one missing link, i think that our top six would be cup-worthy.

In a way i feel this team needs a Shea Weber type more than an Erik Karlsson type/Duncan Keith/OEL type.

Only game we lost on the road was the one where our PK was bad. Guddy helps keep shots to the outside for the most part. 

He's going to be a polarizing player in this market regardless. Too much information is available for there to be a consensus opinion on him.

We need new stats for players like him though, like net clears, rebound controls or clears, stick checks on scoring chances, amount of time the puck is in the high danger zone. Defensive stats, right now it's all offense, and transition. 

Strange note, he has 1 career shoot out attempt. Odd choice no?

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. I'd like to sign Guddy for about $4.5M per, but I could see him demanding more like $5M, which is a bit much IMO. We'll see how it goes.

If he continues as he has, he's worth it and will be a top-4 stalwart.  Not only solid defensively but leadership and character qualities, and if they can harness his slapper there may well be more upside there as well.  He has 3 posts/crossbars already this season.  Recall that we had I believe 3-4 dmen in the $4.5mil range at our peak 6 years ago.

• Upvote 1