The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Guest Dasein

I get the feeling he's gonna pull a Schultz on us and test free agency.

Me too, honestly. I don't know why. I have the same hunch.

Me too, honestly. I don't know why. I have the same hunch.

He looked to be smiling at the prospects camp in the summer. I believe this management group understand players better and he will not have to test free agency because he will be taken care of and given every opportunity, financially and professionally to succeed as a Vancouver Canuck.

Guest Dasein

He looked to be smiling at the prospects camp in the summer. I believe this management group understand players better and he will not have to test free agency because he will be taken care of and given every opportunity, financially and professionally to succeed as a Vancouver Canuck.

True, but the J Schultz situation changed directions drastically and no one in ANA saw it coming.

So you never really know.

I am just paranoid because he seems fairly skilled and would be sought after if he chose that route :P

I thought you can't do that anymore?

I think Kevin Hayes went that route this summer, so unless a new rule kicks in starting this season, I think you can.

Edited by Dasein

True, but the J Schultz situation changed directions drastically and no one in ANA saw it coming.

So you never really know.

I am just paranoid because he seems fairly skilled and would be sought after if he chose that route :P

I think Kevin Hayes went that route this summer, so unless a new rule kicks in starting this season, I think you can.

Haha. What are the chances something drastic happens to this team? Right guys? Haha.. haha... Ha... Oh...

Edited by Canucks1219
  • Upvote 1

I believe Justin Schultz left school in 2 seasons so Anaheim had 30 days to sign him, they didn't get it done within 30 days so he became an UFA.

Kevin Hayes finished his 4 years and Chicago couldn't get a deal done so he ultimately became an UFA in August.

I'm not 100% sure on all of it though.

Edited by Plum

I think he has to go through all 4 years college (like Schultz and Hayes) to put himself in the position to claim UFA. Taking that, should he want to come at the end of this year he remains our property. If not there is still your thinking.

About the time Hutton arrives, we have a ready built spot in the line up and in cap. Only Edler on D is signed beyond when Hutton has to come out. This is not like Hayes in Chicago and Schultz in Anaheim who had to limit cash for cap reasons. And probably did not have a roster spot for him so could have been earning two way money. Schultz went to Edmonton over us believing he had max opportunity for playing time to earn bonuses. Hutton, a PP QB and shot we need in our line up should fit like a glove. And had young exciting players for Schultz to develop with. Which we will also have at that time. We would have been in just as perfect a situation to sign him if he was UFA.

Its just up to Lindenning to set the table and invite him to the party! ;)

I wouldnt be surprised to see Hutton signed in time for a play off run this year?

Guest Dasein

I think he has to go through all 4 years college (like Schultz and Hayes) to put himself in the position to claim UFA. Taking that, should he want to come at the end of this year he remains our property. If not there is still your thinking.

About the time Hutton arrives, we have a ready built spot in the line up and in cap. Only Edler on D is signed beyond when Hutton has to come out. This is not like Hayes in Chicago and Schultz in Anaheim who had to limit cash for cap reasons. And probably did not have a roster spot for him so could have been earning two way money. Schultz went to Edmonton over us believing he had max opportunity for playing time to earn bonuses. Hutton, a PP QB and shot we need in our line up should fit like a glove. And had young exciting players for Schultz to develop with. Which we will also have at that time. We would have been in just as perfect a situation to sign him if he was UFA.

Its just up to Lindenning to set the table and invite him to the party! ;)

I wouldnt be surprised to see Hutton signed in time for a play off run this year?

^^^ Maybe. I'm sure Utica would welcome his addition to their playoff run.

EDIT: was in response to this quote from the last post on the last page.

Edited by Dasein

^^^ Maybe. I'm sure Utica would welcome his addition to their playoff run.

EDIT: was in response to this quote from the last post on the last page.

He would certainly be good for Utica at years end. Might even be good enough here?

We really don't have any depth in offensive D men with respects to Weber. There is a good chance if Edler were injured, he might be our PP QB...

Guest Dasein

I would say Tommernes gets a look before Hutton.

I've never seen Hutton play, but making the jump right away into the NHL from NCAA seems very rare.

Johnny Hockey. Kevin Hayes. There's been a few recent ones.

Very few D men though.

It would be something special to see him crack the NHL roster. I imagine Hutton to be like a 6'3 Jordan Subban skill wise, but not the same build or explosive skating.

Johnny Hockey. Kevin Hayes. There's been a few recent ones.

Very few D men though.

It would be something special to see him crack the NHL roster. I imagine Hutton to be like a 6'3 Jordan Subban skill wise, but not the same build or explosive skating.

His skating is probably on par when you factor the size differance. He was a forward once aswell and I believe his skating is one of his best assets. I think I might have read something comparing his stride with Duncan Keith's or someone else once. I'll see if I can find it a little later.

I thought you can't do that anymore?

schultz (or McNally) could still pull a schultz (one year minors before going to ncaa and the leaving school at the end of his 3rd ncaa year not signing with his drafted team and then becoming a FA on july first) what CANT happen anymore is a drafted player going straight to ncaa and then after your third season becoming FA on july first after not signing with your team.

Hutton is a fantastic skater. His stride is long and powerful and appears to be effortless.

I believe he'll turn pro after this NCAA season, get his feet wet in Utica for a season and makes the jump to the the big show as a 23 year old.

No reason to believe he will test free agency at this point.

Edited by Devoted

schultz (or McNally) could still pull a schultz (one year minors before going to ncaa and the leaving school at the end of his 3rd ncaa year not signing with his drafted team and then becoming a FA on july first) what CANT happen anymore is a drafted player going straight to ncaa and then after your third season becoming FA on july first after not signing with your team.

so no matter what Hutton has to play at least 1 season in our system? (Utica/Vancouver)

so no matter what Hutton has to play at least 1 season in our system? (Utica/Vancouver)

no, hutton could still refuse to sign after finishing his 4th season (if he leaves after his third we still have his rights for another season) but he wouldn't become a FA on july 1, he'd have to wait until Aug 15, after all the FA frenzy is done and most camp rosters are pretty much set. NCAA players that used to take advantage of the loophole did so wanting to cash in on the feeding frenzy that is July 1st. much less teams will be interested/have room on August 15, which is why it's less of an issue. I'd be surprised if Hutton were to try to go FA though. he doesn't seem like the type.

Edited by avelanch

no, hutton could still refuse to sign after finishing his 4th season (if he leaves after his third we still have his rights for another season) but he wouldn't become a FA on july 1, he'd have to wait until Aug 30, after all the FA frenzy is done and most camp rosters are pretty much set. NCAA players that used to take advantage of the loophole did so wanting to cash in on the feeding frenzy that is July 1st. much less teams will be interested/have room on August 30, which is why it's less of an issue. I'd be surprised if Hutton were to try to go FA though. he doesn't seem like the type.

ah. Gotcha. Your so up to Faye with ncaa prospects and rules. Is this Huttons 3rd year in NCAA?