The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Well in all fairness....other than Shore...pickins were awfully thin after Mallet anyway.

Hated the Mallet pick from the start, and obviously still do. I also wanted Severson over Mallet. The Mallet pick was way off the board at the time, and now it just looks stupid.

It'd be fine if Mallet brought what he's capable of everynight. As it is with his mere 2 fights on the season - both TKOs, he's not bringing nearly enough to justify a roster spot at the AHL level.

He was tko'd? Or delivered the whoopins?

Calm down boys the guy is 21 years old and still trying to figure things out in the pros. Still has plenty of time to put things together, just have some faith. Im pretty sure that most 21 year old players have consistency issues, and its Mallet and the Canucks organization responsibilities to find that consistency and his niche.

As for Ben Hutton, I never really took a huge liking to NCAA players mainly due to the lack of knowledge of them and the least exposure compared to the CHL prospects and AHL prospects, but hearing more and more positive vibes for Hutton, Labate are starting to change my mind that NCAA prospects are worth developing.

Pleasant surprise to here how well Ben is doing.

• Upvote 1

Calm down boys the guy is 21 years old and still trying to figure things out in the pros. Still has plenty of time to put things together, just have some faith. Im pretty sure that most 21 year old players have consistency issues, and its Mallet and the Canucks organization responsibilities to find that consistency and his niche.

As for Ben Hutton, I never really took a huge liking to NCAA players mainly due to the lack of knowledge of them and the least exposure compared to the CHL prospects and AHL prospects, but hearing more and more positive vibes for Hutton, Labate are starting to change my mind that NCAA prospects are worth developing.

Just think of them as long term deposits :)

30% of the NHL played NCAA hockey

We probably would have waited till the 3rd round to take Mallet, but since we had no 3rd or 4th round pick they decided to take a chance on him for some stupid reason. For a player with no offensive success in prior years and then score 34 as an overager in the QMJHL is not a compelling reason to pick him.

At least Dane Fox was a ppg player for 3 seasons before his breakout and at that point scored a mind blowing 64 games. I would have been happier with taking a flyer on Dane Fox in the 2nd round vs a player like Mallet (lucky enough we got him for free).

There were a lot of better picks available. Komaschuk, Severson, Shore, and Bozon were much more obvious picks at the time. None have had success in pro but they are all 2 years younger and have shown promise in their respective leagues.

I don't think some people realize how much more of a crap shoot the second round is.

That's one of toughest rounds to gauge players IMO. These are the guys that for the most part slipped out of the first round for various flaws, despite a high skill level. Those flaws often become a big reason for their lack of success.

I think rounds 3-5 are much easier to draft good underrated players. Guys like Corrado, Hutton, Labate, Cassels, and Subban. This is where the scouts really earn their money.

Edited by DeNiro

Just looking at the video, Hutton looks like a special kind of player. Has a big frame and knows how to control and use every bit of it effectively. Has a knack for the net and a very good offensive feel. Great shot and release and a truly energetic player. Going on a limb but saying he'll eventually be a 2nd pair dman.

Did Gillis make any changes to the drafting decision process and/or personnel before last year's draft?

I'm still pulling for Subban, and Cassels, Shinkaruk, and Horvat all look really good to make the team one day.

I think he kept almost everybody his first year and moved some scouts around like Smyl to US College or something like that the second year or so.

We are starting to get way better and more Canadian picks as well. (This makes a big difference from my point of view when watching things like the World Jrs, Mem Cup, etc.)

Couldn't be that last year's draft was that good, could it? Have we got better scouts/scouting?