The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

First, Pedan, 21, who joined the team in a trade with Islanders on Nov. 25 and received some notoriety two weeks ago for his scary knockout punch in a staged fight with Habs prospect Jared Tinordi:

“You don’t ever like to see a guy get hurt, like Tinordi did,” said Green. “It was two big guys trying to spark their team. Pedan is one of those guys who’s got the makings of a real good stay-at-home defenceman who’s really hard to play against.

“Most nights, he’s a 20-plus-minute guy for us. He’s a real good skater for a big guy and has a bullet of a shot. Hopefully, in another year you’ll be able to say this guy’s got a chance to be a real good No. 5 or No. 6 defenceman who’s hard to play against.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Utica+Comets+coach+Travis+Green+measuring/10755091/story.html

Benning said a year or two when he got him. He knew what he was doing with that third-rounder.

• Upvote 1

I don't see Forsling as a puck mover so much, and I wonder if we can keep Sanguinetti without having to play him in the NHL. But fair points as well just in case.

I'm hopeful we actually move Weber (package or late pick) and call him up to play offensive 7th D personally and re-sign him for exactly that role next year.

I'm not sure what we could get for Weber, but if any of the contenders (hell, anyone actually) pays good value for him at the deadline I'd be in.

You'd think we could get a 4th or something I'd imagine. What'd we get for Diaz? Though I'd prefer to use him as a throw in in package to nail something more concrete down.

He wouldn't be horrible depth to add to a contender for a run, comes cheap etc

Edit: Just checked, we got a 5th for Diaz FWIW.

Edited by J.R.

Man I don't think Eichel is even top 10 in votes but I guess it's almost unheard of that a draft eligible wins the Hobey Baker. How do players get nominated though? Is there a limit on players per school?

I don't see our best NCAA prospect Demko on there.

Edited by Dasein

Man I don't think Eichel is even top 10 in votes but I guess it's almost unheard of that a draft eligible wins the Hobey Baker. How do players get nominated though? Is there a limit on players per school?

I don't see our best NCAA prospect Demko on there.

The fan voting system adds up to a whopping 1% of the total ballet for the winning player.

Eichel could easily win without receiving a single fan vote. Same with Demko.. but less likely.

Also here is how the award is considered..

NOMINATING AND SELECTION CRITERIA

There are four criteria against which nominees for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award are considered:

1. Strength of character, on and off the ice
  2. Contribution to the integrity of the team and outstanding skills in all phases of the game
  3. Scholastic achievement and sportsmanship
  4. Compliance with all NCAA rules, including being a full-time student in an accredited college or university and completing 50 percent or more of the season

The selection process for the award is in three parts. First, the head coaches of NCAA Division I schools nominate the top three players in their league and the top three players in the nation. College hockey fans can also vote online at this time—and fan voting can be an important factor in the balloting outcome. Price Waterhouse Coopers tabulates the votes and the top 10 candidates are announced.

Voting then commences for the "Hobey Hat Trick," which is a narrowing of the field from ten players to three, from which the winner is selected. The primary voting in this part of the process is by the Hobey Baker Memorial Award Selection Committee, a geographically balanced group of 27 individuals representing print and electronic sports media, college hockey coaches and officials, and NHL scouts. Fans may also vote online for their favorite candidate during this phase of the process.

After the three finalists for the award are announced ("Hobey Hat Trick"), the countdown begins toward the announcement of the award winner in a nationally televised ceremony.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/criteria-selection-process

Edited by Devoted

McNally was always the better d prospect. He just fell out of view because he didn't play last year. With the season that he's had after such a long break, he's proved that again.

Hutton's season last year was pretty impressive, so I don't know if I'd go that far. They play a similar style but I think Hutton has a better all around game. McNally is having the better year this year though.

Hutton's season last year was pretty impressive, so I don't know if I'd go that far. They play a similar style but I think Hutton has a better all around game. McNally is having the better year this year though.

Well this is McNally's second quality season ( last year seems to be a wright off after the academic probation and all it includes ) On the other hand Hutton has one out standing season with the Black Bears

Well this is McNally's second quality season ( last year seems to be a wright off after the academic probation and all it includes ) On the other hand Hutton has one out standing season with the Black Bears

He had a respectable freshman season, and he's picked up his pace this season. I think I still give the edge to Hutton at this point.