The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

He was average last night at best imo. I didn't see Hutton showing himself to be capable of cracking the Canucks lineup anytime soon and frankly, unless he's holding back he would be hard pressed to crack the Comets roster too. His skating looks decent and he`s got decent size but his puck handling skills are so-so and he was not very impressive in his own end- I did notice his coach never plays him short-handed. Granted, I`m not going to write the kid off after only watching him once but I was expecting more. Hopefully it was just an off night for him.

I thought he was good, I know he can be better though. He's a good skater, controls the PP and has poise with the puck. He makes smart decisions, it's hard to go end to end because Notre Dame did a good job clogging it up. I think with more skilled teammates he would flourish but Maine doesn't have alot of skill upfront. Hutton keeps good gap defensively, uses his stick well and plays pretty physical.

Reminds me of Duncan Keith a little bit or Ryan McDonagh.

Edited by Plum

I thought he was good, I know he can be better though. He's a good skater, controls the PP and has poise with the puck. He makes smart decisions, it's hard to go end to end because Notre Dame did a good job clogging it up. I think with more skilled teammates he would flourish but Maine doesn't have alot of skill upfront. Hutton keeps good gap defensively, uses his stick well and plays pretty physical.

Reminds me of Duncan Keith a little bit or Ryan McDonagh.

The Ryan McDonagh comparison fits the bell perfectly in my eyes too.

^^^^ I haven't seen Hutton play but with the Ryan McDonagh comparisons,

does Hutton play with a bit of a mean streak and almost-angry edge that McDonagh brings?

Or are we just talking offensive and defensive capability and not demeanor/personality on the ice?

I just feel really good about Hutton's game, I'm not sure what would hold him back from playing in the NHL. He probably lacks in the stick handling department or flashyness but he has good skating ability like McDonagh, can make a good, hard first pass, he has a good gap between himself and the player with the puck keeping him to the outside but if the players tries to beat him wide he can get physical on him.

He's listed as 6'3 and 200 pounds on the Maine website but with more playing time (NCAA doesn't play as many games as a league like the CHL) I think he'll become a better, more mature player. He's only played 98 NCAA games, that's like a OHL season and a little bit more.

^^^^ I haven't seen Hutton play but with the Ryan McDonagh comparisons,

does Hutton play with a bit of a mean streak and almost-angry edge that McDonagh brings?

Or are we just talking offensive and defensive capability and not demeanor/personality on the ice?

I don't think Hutton is that mean but he'd do whatever it'd take to get the puck. Crosscheck the guy pretty good if he's trying to protect the puck or if he had shutdown duties he'd be hard on him like McDonagh on Crosby during the playoffs.

Keith... McDonagh...

Safe to say Hutton has some work to do.

Haha I don't think he'll be as good as them but I think he plays a similar playing style.

After a Cold start, it's good to see Hutton finally at .5 PPG (12 points in his last 17 games)

#Canucks prospect Ben Hutton had one assist for Maine today. Now has 16 points (6-10-16) in 32 games. #NCAA' class="bbc_url">@Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato · 5h 5 hours ago
#Canucks prospect Ben Hutton had one assist for Maine today. Now has 16 points (6-10-16) in 32 games. #NCAA

Also he has 17 points on the University of Maine Website

6 goals 11 assists

Huttons team has scored 86 goals and hes been in on roughly 20% of their Offence. Last year he was in on roughly 30% of their offence 29/102) So i guess he hasn't regressed as much as some people have thought

• Upvote 1

After a Cold start, it's good to see Hutton finally at .5 PPG (12 points in his last 17 games)

#Canucks prospect Ben Hutton had one assist for Maine today. Now has 16 points (6-10-16) in 32 games. #NCAA' class="bbc_url">@Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato · 5h 5 hours ago

#Canucks prospect Ben Hutton had one assist for Maine today. Now has 16 points (6-10-16) in 32 games. #NCAA

Also he has 17 points on the University of Maine Website

6 goals 11 assists

Huttons team has scored 86 goals and hes been in on roughly 20% of their Offence. Last year he was in on roughly 30% of their offence 29/102) So i guess he hasn't regressed as much as some people have thought

the team as a whole regressed due to the influx of rookies.

this weekend he went 1G 1A 2PTS +1 8Shots 2PIM in 2 GP

• 2 weeks later...

Maine's season more than likely ended today with another loss. Now I guess we''ll soon see if he signs for the rest of the AHL season or decides to return. I wouldn't bet against him signing.

yeah, their season is done. hopefully he chooses to leave and signs soon. If I'm benning I'm calling him today to talk about his future.

• Upvote 1