The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Probably go 2nd or 3rd. We might be able to 'buy' that pick with the return from trading Vrbata, Hamhuis and maybe our own 1st or a prospect like Shinkaruk or Subban.

Or win the lotto lol. We're not tanking without some major injuries.

Lot to be said about veteran structure within a younger team. The risk with hanging onto a vet for too long is that his value could drop or he could be injured. All possible deals are based on the return and

IMHO Vrbata is likely the most value excluding Hamhuis.

Vet core other than the Twins is Burrows and Hamhuis. IMO moving Vrbata and Higgins is inevitable.

So far his play has been decent. Nothing too flashy, but effective.

The only gripes so far is that he does seem weak when competing along the boards. I guess he's just still a young guy.

He also seems a bit slow at times in reacting to forecheckers, like today's game when he was trying to stick-handle his way out of trouble beside his own net, only for it to cause a turnover. Maybe it works in the NCAA, but few defenders can get away with it in the NHL.

Just more conditioning and experience, and I think the Canucks will have a nice gem.

So far his play has been decent. Nothing too flashy, but effective.

The only gripes so far is that he does seem weak when competing along the boards. I guess he's just still a young guy.

He also seems a bit slow at times in reacting to forecheckers, like today's game when he was trying to stick-handle his way out of trouble beside his own net, only for it to cause a turnover. Maybe it works in the NCAA, but few defenders can get away with it in the NHL.

Just more conditioning and experience, and I think the Canucks will have a nice gem.

I too think the Canucks likely have a gem, but really would rather see him with a steady defence partner.

Even though he can help the team, and Sbisa, I'd rather see him get seasoning in the AHL than spend the season as Sbisa's defence partner. Hopefully he won't be hurt by it, but giving most of the responsbility of clearing the zone and some responsibility for positioning and directing the defence is risky, not in that he'll make mistakes (which is a certainty) but that he won't be learning positioning and defensive play from a vet and might after a period of time start to feel a little overwhelmed and find it hard to keep the natural composure that has been so impressive.

I hope the fact that he's this good, this early, doesn't ultimately make it more difficult for him to become the player he is capable of being. It seems to me he's getting the Oilers treatment-feed the kids to the wolves and hope they come up stronger for it.

Imo It hasn't worked all that well for the Oilers and is very different from the way Desjardins brought Horvat along last season.

I hope the fact that he's this good, this early, doesn't ultimately make it more difficult for him to become the player he is capable of being. It seems to me he's getting the Oilers treatment-feed the kids to the wolves and hope they come up stronger for it.

Imo It hasn't worked all that well for the Oilers and is very different from the way Desjardins brought Horvat along last season.

WIth Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and even arguably Bartowski playing 'ahead' of him in the lineup he's hardly being given the Oilers/'fed to the wolves' treatment.

WIth Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and even arguably Bartowski playing 'ahead' of him in the lineup he's hardly being given the Oilers/'fed to the wolves' treatment.

The more I see of Hutton the less likely he returns to Utica. At 15 minutes of TOI he can gain the

experience he needs. WD still has him on the 2nd PP which is a big vote of confidence.

We all know injuries will come. Webber is sitting and that won't last.

A number of us have been high on him for a few years but even to see him make the NHL and look like he's holding his own in his first pro year is more than we would have expected. Good for him, I hope he continues this play and can develop into the player some of us see in him.

I too think the Canucks likely have a gem, but really would rather see him with a steady defence partner.

Even though he can help the team, and Sbisa, I'd rather see him get seasoning in the AHL than spend the season as Sbisa's defence partner. Hopefully he won't be hurt by it, but giving most of the responsbility of clearing the zone and some responsibility for positioning and directing the defence is risky, not in that he'll make mistakes (which is a certainty) but that he won't be learning positioning and defensive play from a vet and might after a period of time start to feel a little overwhelmed and find it hard to keep the natural composure that has been so impressive.

That's a ridiculous notion. So Sbisa is SO bad that Hutton should be playing in the AHL? Who on the Comets is better, that he should be learning from? Not to mention he makes Sbisa better. So while his development might be taking a bit of a hit as you suggest, he's making a liability in Sbisa better.

Coaching and video analysis are at another level in the NHL. He's going to need to learn situations and positioning regardless of who his partner is, because he's a rookie in any situation. He's proving every game why he deserves to be in this line-up

• Upvote 1

Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis aren't on the ice with him when he's playing his usual present pairing with Sbisa. They aren't there to help him with decisions, to help him clear the puck and to be the steadying influence. Instead, he's got the job of playing with the guy that everyone has looked shaky playing with.

That, regardless of line or pair number, is a lot to put on a rookie.

Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis aren't on the ice with him when he's playing his usual present pairing with Sbisa. They aren't there to help him with decisions, to help him clear the puck and to be the steadying influence. Instead, he's got the job of playing with the guy that everyone has looked shaky playing with.

That, regardless of line or pair number, is a lot to put on a rookie.

Blah blah blah... Still not Oilers.

He's the only guy on the defense that's made Sbisa look better. Against LA, they moved the puck well and Sbisa was playing a pretty good physical game. There will be struggles for them along the way but that pairing (surprisingly!) works.

If he keeps it up and gets more pp time, he could be the best rookie dman of the year. Possibly Calder talks, even with the amazing class of rookie forwards this year. Not saying he would win, but his name could be discussed if he plays this way all year and even progresses

Edited by R3aL