The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

He's around a point per game in the pre-season now but I'd like to see how he does in Utica before he makes a big NHL jump. With Hamhuis leaving, someone will need to step into the left hand spot next season and who knows, maybe Sbisa and Hutton can fill that void together. I'd rather we get a legit top-4 left handed defenceman and have Hutton as our bottom pairing guy though.

He's around a point per game in the pre-season now but I'd like to see how he does in Utica before he makes a big NHL jump. With Hamhuis leaving, someone will need to step into the left hand spot next season and who knows, maybe Sbisa and Hutton can fill that void together. I'd rather we get a legit top-4 left handed defenceman and have Hutton as our bottom pairing guy though.

Hutton is going to be one of our top 4 guys and it will happen sooner than later. Why go out and overpay with prospects and take on big cap when this team might not make the playoffs.

Hutton's played great and if life were fair he'd probably be on the opening roster. He certainly has earned/deserves it.

That said, having him play big minutes in Utica and available for injuries and moving Hamhuis at the deadline is what's far more likely and prudent to happen.

• Upvote 1

Someone on HFBoards suggested:

Sbisa, Vey & Higgins for...(7 mill total cap hit)

Phaneuf.(7 mill-but 6 more yrs of it...)

That solves nothing for Toronto. Doesn't solve the cap problem to add 3 roster players (oh ya they just traded 5 guys for 1 cause they have that problem). Let alone trading one of their best defensemen for a bunch of scrubs. Phaneuf may not be worth $7M, but that doesn't make him a bad defenseman.

For us it just ties us up financially in a player who couldn't help us any more than Dan Steps-On-The-Puck-And-Falls Hamhuis.

He's a Lefty which also doesn't help us. We need a top-4 righty to play with Hammer.

Hutton has played less than 40 games in each of the last three seasons.

Give him lots of ice time in the ahl and get him ready for a callup this yr when injuries hit us.

I agree that he should probably start in Utica, but I think he could handle a season at the 5/6 spot if it came to it. Remember he was top pair d-man in Maine, getting all those minutes even in 39 games or so. That should have him strong enough to handle it.

Edited by hd71

I don't understand the people who say that Hutton should play in the ahl. He's proven that he's more than capable of playing in the nhl. Hutton has been our best dman so far. His speed and passing bring an element to our d that we don't have.

Every year it seems that our depth guy's are more important than prospects. If management truly does want to younger and faster, Hutton will be on the team.

I don't understand the people who say that Hutton should play in the ahl. He's proven that he's more than capable of playing in the nhl. Hutton has been our best dman so far. His speed and passing bring an element to our d that we don't have.

Every year it seems that our depth guy's are more important than prospects. If management truly does want to younger and faster, Hutton will be on the team.

Because you need NHL quality depth playing in the minors. Hutton is that.

HE has proven nothing. You have to remember a lot of these teams aren't even 50% of what they NHL team will look like, just because he has had a good preseason (with 3 games played) doesn't mean he will be as effective against NHL regulars for a 82 game schedule

• Upvote 2

HE has proven nothing. You have to remember a lot of these teams aren't even 50% of what they NHL team will look like, just because he has had a good preseason (with 3 games played) doesn't mean he will be as effective against NHL regulars for a 82 game schedule

This is a factor that people are overlooking. College and Jr players usually have a hard time adjusting to the much longer and tougher NHL season schedule. That's why the AHL is used as a stepping stone. The guys in Utica will get plenty of opportunities to join the Canucks during the season.

Someone on HFBoards suggested:

Sbisa, Vey & Higgins for...(7 mill total cap hit)

Phaneuf.(7 mill-but 6 more yrs of it...)

I would do that trade but TO would have to retain and I would add sweetener on out end- Jensen and Corrado

To VAN

Phaneuf (1.5 mill retained)

2016 2nd

To TO

Higgins

Sbisa

Vey

Corrado

Jensen

Edited by Canucks Curse

He's proven somthing imo. He's been our best dman so far. Hamhuis, Edler, and Weber should be dominating with the weak teams so far, no?