The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

While I'd love to see Hutton up with the big team for at least his 9 games, we need to keep in mind that in his three seasons at main, the most games he's played in a season is 39 and that's an easy schedule of Friday and/or Saturday night games that end at the end of February.

While he looks so poised right now early in camp, I worry about the heavy workload that's he's not used to and any potential injury it could lead to. A year in Utica to sharpen his game and get used to an NHL type schedule isn't the worst thing he could do. Even if they were to do the Horvat thing with him and have him sit in the press box early on while they pick and choose games to ease him into, a year in Utica playing big minutes and learning under Green is probably the more pragmatic option.

Oh man, this "9 games" stuff! He's not a junior so that rule doesn't apply.

• Upvote 1

You mean besides proper development, top pairing roles, power play QB minutes, build up confidence , learn how to be a pro.

If he is good enough to play here and shows he can bring more than some other players who some may think are "more developed" - then he should stay.

And management is on record saying as much: If you're good enough, we'll make room.

Yes playing in the minors can aid "development".

Also yes, that development can happen a lot quicker for certain players and can be had at the top level on the fly, as we saw with Horvat last year.... and that's not as rare as some people think with the way the NHL is trending these days.

People need to remember that the players on the team on opening night are not locks to be with the team for the rest of the year. Some of the kids have looked really good in preseason and some of the vets have looks not so good. But outside of Virtanen and McCann decisions don’t have to be made before opening night. Players like Gaunce, Hutton, Jesnen, Pedan and Shinkaruk call all be called up to the big club at any time.

The last thing JB would want to do, is move out a roster spot like Higgins, Vey, Weber for little value, and then have the rookie hit a cold spell in the NHL which would only hurt the kids confidence. Why risk that based on a handful of preseason games? Why not wait a couple months, see what happens in the season, injuries, hot streaks, cold streaks, and what the trading market looks like. If the young players like Hutton and Gaunce can keep up their play in the AHL, then you take a look around the league and see if you can move out a vet. Not rushing the spot removes the risk on if the young players can maintain their play and it gives you time to work on a deal and get fair value.

You don't simply toss depth. Never mind that Hutton is a lefty and that side is already too crowded with one of Bartowski/Sbisa playing on their off side. We don't need to add another lefty in to that mix.

Hutton will more than likely be heading to Utica where he can fine tune his game even further and be ready for injury and trade deadline call ups.

The luxury of having him in Utica (and hopefully playing well) will make the prospect of moving Hamhuis for a 1st(+?) at the deadline becomes a lot less terrifying to management as well.

Exactly, Hutton will likely get sent down, if he keeps his play up in the AHL then, Hammer will be marketed around the league possibly even before TD. Hutton playing well in Utica gives Vancouver depth to move out a vet. Moving a piece like Sbisa/Bart now doesn’t give canucks the same depth and flexibility

• Upvote 1

Hamhuis,Edler,Tanev are all better than Reilly right now.

Better? Yes! And as u suggested (but I accidentally clipped out of the quoted snippet), notably in our end.

But Reilly still offers a component we need. He is a weapon with the puck on his stick. At the point, our current guys are not dangerous. For the most part we have to rotate the puck around or try a quick shot / pass through the middle. And before pressure gets there because no one has those skills. Come out to attack Reilly right now, and he dangles on you. He can duck, move and beat most guys who try and defend him. Jump into lanes and head to the net to attack. Or pass off and has all the offensive instincts to command the play.

The most exciting thing about Hutton is he has some of that component too. And can skate, is even not a bad size. The question was can he defend? What was his decision making and can he play a core NHL coaches system? Cuz he played kind of an unorthodox role in college. Almost a rover or 4th forward which we knew would get him in trouble.

But he is looking very capable of answering some of the questions. We might have something exciting on our hands?

Hutton has played less than 40 games in each of the last three seasons.

Give him lots of ice time in the ahl and get him ready for a callup this yr when injuries hit us.

Good point.

Makes a lot of sense for him to start in Utica, even though he's having a great pre-season. Canucks can't really afford to lose any defensive depth as it is.

IMO, one of the Canucks' biggest needs before pre-season was a waiver ineligible defenseman to give them more depth. Hutton's pre-season puts that need straight on the back burner, which is probably a huge relief for GMJB.

This is the Canucks' you can pretty much gaurantee he gets sent down, regardless of what him or Mcann does. Benning's plan is to play grinders and have tight 1 goal games while relying on goaltending.

This is the Canucks' you can pretty much gaurantee he gets sent down, regardless of what him or Mcann does. Benning's plan is to play grinders and have tight 1 goal games while relying on goaltending.

It makes sense in this case. I think McCann should get his 9 games to see if he looks like he can handle an 82 game NHL season.

Also pretty sure the Sedins, Horvat, Baertschi and Vrbata aren't grinders, and they'll make up 5 of the Canucks' top 6.

It makes sense in this case. I think McCann should get his 9 games to see if he looks like he can handle an 82 game NHL season.

Also pretty sure the Sedins, Horvat, Baertschi and Vrbata aren't grinders, and they'll make up 5 of the Canucks' top 6.

I honestly thought Baertschi played awesome in the AHL, but my god he has been bad in the NHL, he has yet to show anything he showed against the Oilers last year. Maybe he's nervous or rusty from camp but he has done nothing to be even considered in the top 6.

Hutton may save our bacon when it comes to having injury replacements this year, I highly doubt he makes the roster barring injury. We need the depth with guys that come come up and down without being exposed to waivers, so getting rid of a roster guy to make room for Hutton hurts us organizationally.

We go through 11-13 defencemen in a season historically and our depth isn't really up to the task...

Edler

Tanev

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Weber

Corrado

Bartkowski

Then callups:

Hutton

Biega

Pedan

Fedun

Cederholm

There aren't a lot of depth guys on that list I would want to be playing top 4 minutes (heck I don;t think we have 4 roster players who I want to be playing top 4 minutes)... but without Hutton barging into the mix, it would look downright scary.

Edited by Provost

I honestly thought Baertschi played awesome in the AHL, but my god he has been bad in the NHL, he has yet to show anything he showed against the Oilers last year. Maybe he's nervous or rusty from camp but he has done nothing to be even considered in the top 6.

I disagree, I think he's been making nice plays with basically a different centre every game. I think when things get rolling the points will start coming. Remember, the Canucks haven't scored much this pre-season.

Was one of the better top 6 players today. Everyone looks rusty, even the Sedins.

Baertschi has time to prove himself, he's not going anywhere.