The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Hutton just seems to get better not by just game to game but by shift to shift. Gillis has made 2 beauty late round d-picks in Subban and Hutton, Hutton might be the real diamond he is incredibly smart for being a raw kid.

Canuck management have been pretty transparent in their love of Tanev's calm no-panic demeanor, and that was echoed in their picking Brisebois this year. Hutton so far is showing that same kind of poise already.

It's giving me a headache reading some of these uneducated posts. What's the point of hurrying out youth ? Let them master their craft in the AHL or CHL. There is no need to rush them. Have we forgotten about what that did to Gilbert Brule.

Let Hutton learn under Green for a few months and if and when an injury occurs

I'm sure he will be with the If club.

Say it with me folks. The NHL is not a developmental league !!! It's a business and the business is winning.

It's giving me a headache reading some of these uneducated posts. What's the point of hurrying out youth ? Let them master their craft in the AHL or CHL. There is no need to rush them. Have we forgotten about what that did to Gilbert Brule.

Let Hutton learn under Green for a few months and if and when an injury occurs

I'm sure he will be with the If club.

Say it with me folks. The NHL is not a developmental league !!! It's a business and the business is winning.

Usually I would agree, especially with Defensemen, but Hutton needs to be given a long look here. As you say, the business is winning, and he's been much better than anyone not named Edler/Tanev. if he can continue to hold his own in his own we're really not in a position to turn away an offensive defenseman with his skillset. Not to mention he is immediately our best power play option on defense. I'm also very intrigued to see a Hammer/Hutton pairing, to get Hutton some time with a guy like Hammer would be invaluable.

Add a little offense to this defense and it will be good.

Edler/Tanev

Hammer/Hutton

Bart/Webs

Edited by FlyLow_

Usually I would agree, especially with Defensemen, but Hutton needs to be given a long look here. As you say, the business is winning, and he's been much better than anyone not named Edler/Tanev. if he can continue to hold his own in his own we're really not in a position to turn away an offensive defenseman with his skillset. Not to mention he is immediately our best power play option on defense. I'm also very intrigued to see a Hammer/Hutton pairing, to get Hutton some time with a guy like Hammer would be invaluable.

Add a little offense to this defense and it will be good.

Edler/Tanev

Hammer/Hutton

Bart/Webs

Hutton has played 3 exhibition games , we need to relax and wait before we say that he is NHL ready. May I remind you how Fedor Federov dominated the pre season before , same goes for Steve Kariya.

No need to rush him.

They said they would make room if the young guys were outperforming the vets in preseason. Well I can think of 2-3 vet dman Hutton is currently outplaying.

IMO they were just blowing smoke up our asses. I don't think they expected any of our guys to be ready and Lorne Hennings interview not long ago on tsn 1040 confirms as much. He said that all our young guys are at least a year away.

Edited by Robongo

If they can't make room for Hutton then JB is pretty much useless. Trade Weber

You don't simply toss depth. Never mind that Hutton is a lefty and that side is already too crowded with one of Bartowski/Sbisa playing on their off side. We don't need to add another lefty in to that mix.

Hutton will more than likely be heading to Utica where he can fine tune his game even further and be ready for injury and trade deadline call ups.

The luxury of having him in Utica (and hopefully playing well) will make the prospect of moving Hamhuis for a 1st(+?) at the deadline becomes a lot less terrifying to management as well.

Why does Vey stay?

Depth.

• Upvote 1

They said they would make room if the young guys were outperforming the vets in preseason. Well I can think of 2-3 vet dman Hutton is currently outplaying.

The only young guys that I've seen, that have outperformed the vets in the two games that I've watched are, McCann, Gaunce, and Hutton. Cracknell hasn't looked out of place either, but he's not a young guy. I've stated in another thread my feelings about d-men and preseason, and unless both Gaunce and McCann continue to do REALLY well for the rest of these games, why change what you already have when clearly youth isn't truly ready? The only d-man that I haven't had that "knock my socks off" look is Bartkowski, whether it's new team mates or a new system that he's trying to learn. Hutton looks more comfortable back there than he does, right now.

While I'd love to see Hutton up with the big team for at least his 9 games, we need to keep in mind that in his three seasons at main, the most games he's played in a season is 39 and that's an easy schedule of Friday and/or Saturday night games that end at the end of February.

While he looks so poised right now early in camp, I worry about the heavy workload that's he's not used to and any potential injury it could lead to. A year in Utica to sharpen his game and get used to an NHL type schedule isn't the worst thing he could do. Even if they were to do the Horvat thing with him and have him sit in the press box early on while they pick and choose games to ease him into, a year in Utica playing big minutes and learning under Green is probably the more pragmatic option.

IMO they were just blowing smoke up our asses. I don't think they expected any of our guys to be ready and Lorne Hennings interview not long ago on tsn 1040 confirms as much. He said that all our young guys are at least a year away.

people take that waaaaay to literally. JB isn't going to risk losing an asset just to put a young guy on the team, unless he seriously outplays a vet. So far, I would not say that has happened, though Hutton would be the closest to outplaying Corrado. Virt and Mccaan are a different situation.

While I'd love to see Hutton up with the big team for at least his 9 games, we need to keep in mind that in his three seasons at main, the most games he's played in a season is 39 and that's an easy schedule of Friday and/or Saturday night games that end at the end of February.

While he looks so poised right now early in camp, I worry about the heavy workload that's he's not used to and any potential injury it could lead to. A year in Utica to sharpen his game and get used to an NHL type schedule isn't the worst thing he could do. Even if they were to do the Horvat thing with him and have him sit in the press box early on while they pick and choose games to ease him into, a year in Utica playing big minutes and learning under Green is probably the more pragmatic option.

they didn't do that with Horvat, he was injured.

Also, 9 games only applies to Virt and McCaan.......Hutton is already into his elc

Edited by stawns

Not sure if we will see Hutton in Utica but I selfishly hope so. Green and Baumgarten are sticklers for discipline in the D end. But with Hutton, Biega, Pedan, Subban all being very good skaters, that D could be asked to turn things back to offense a bit more this year. Comets will have trouble scoring without Oreilly, Baertschi, unless Gaunce, Jensen, Shink, Grenier, make big strides, which they might. If not, the D guys might get a little more leash, and maybe our PP will get off the floor too.

Might be a little transition this early year in Utica with some of these younger guys and without Marky back there covering up mistakes.