The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

He's proven somthing imo. He's been our best dman so far. Hamhuis, Edler, and Weber should be dominating with the weak teams so far, no?

Again it is preseason and veteran are known to not give a 100% until the last couple of games... Even Burrows says that "there is an internal clock that ticks" during the preseason

Edited by Gstank29

It's about roster spots.

Yes and no. Yes, there are 3 extra spots on the team for people to be benched that can consist of a combination of defense or offence.

No in that those spots are highly unlikely to be taken up by players who should be playing to develop their skills.

In the end, their positions are a big deal and they're not entirely in direct competition with each other.

I would do that trade but TO would have to retain and I would add sweetener on out end- Jensen and Corrado

To VAN

Phaneuf (1.5 mill retained)

2016 2nd

To TO

Higgins

Sbisa

Vey

Corrado

Jensen

LOL, No way in hell.

TO will have to cut all their PTO's from they expect to get multiple firsts for at the deadline. Remember the rebuilding plan! B)

Pedan, Biega, Fedun is that not enough?

Nope.

First, and its already been mentioned more or less mentioned. But you have to include Hutton, Weber (or Corrado) and Subban.

Then in no particular order > Biega, Fedun, Pedan, Sbisa, Corrado, Subban & Hutton make up spots between 6 and 12 on our depth charts.

The first real question is how many of them are legit top 6 NHL'ers at this point?

The second is how close if they are not there, and how do we get them there??

And a summary of both questions is how do we get any or all of them to their max potential? Not just rush them into a line up.

With Corrado, and perhaps Hutton, it might just be an exercise in giving them an opportunity. They are that close. I remain of the opinion though, if Hutton is close but not absolutely kicking a vet out of the 6... He should be playing top minutes in Utica. 22 minutes a night in all situations versus 12 or the press box here.

The opportunity will come soon enough. A D is almost constantly injured and Ben can be called up. Weber, Bartkowski and Hamhuis are all UFA next summer! The odds that two of them are still here, never mind all of them, is next to nothing. One if not more is likely to be traded before then. If Hutton looks good, it offers us the possibility of it being Hamhuis.

Ben Hutton, if he is capable, will play a fare share of NHL games this year. And be full time on the roster next. There is no reason to panic! *not that it is u two respondents panicking...

Man oh man, what a player. He's probably been the Canucks best defenceman in the preseason and I'd argue he's currently the best offensive defenceman on our team. Is it possible he could be a top pairing defenceman down the line? It's preseason but man it's looking like the sky's the limit

Edited by Robongo
  • Upvote 3

Forget about the AHL, give Hutton big minutes in the NHL, none of our other defencemen measures up, not even close. Either Hutton is gonna be a superstar or our D corp excluding Hutton is crap. He's got the size, skating, skills, and composure. Let him grow up in the NHL and put on 20lbs but his reach and skating will help him out in the meantime.

Ferraro talking sense as usual thinks that Hutton goes down. The reason being that if he stays with the Canucks, he won't play much. If he goes down, it'll be better for his development because he'll be top 4 and get all situations (pp, pk etc) and lots of minutes.

Ferraro's always good for that, and it makes a lot of sense. If Hutton's gonna be on the team he has to be playing every night, no use keeping him in the press box as the 7th or 8th guy. If the Canucks really want him up here they'll have to move a vet or two (or risk losing someone on waivers) and I can't see them just dumping players in order to play Hutton. (I mean, I'd love if they moved Sbisa for nothing but they obviously won't do that.)

At this stage in development he needs to be getting prime minutes. If he's this good now, imagine how good he'll be after time in the AHL playing in Utica's top 4 and on the first PP unit.

Down by a goal, nearing the end of the third, Canucks have the power play and the coaches put Edler and Tanev on the ice...Are you fn kidding me?!

Hutton should have been on the ice, to make a pass or to shoot- I have more faith in him then Edler right now. Kid is making 5 foot passes into guys wheelhouse, or 80ft passes to the opposing blueline for scoring chances. I can't even remember when Edler last scored on a shot from the point. All his shots get blocked, that's why Weber was getting the goals last year- his shots were getting through so they let him run with it. And Tanev? ok, Edler, has a hard shot but he is not a good set up man, telegraphs everything he does, but still, Tanev? Our least offensive defenceman?

And the coaches say they want to see what the kids can do- well why not leave them in the game in important situations and see how they do.

Edited by hd71
  • Upvote 1

The only thing I worry about when it comes to sending guys down is them developing bad habits. The lower the league the more mistakes you can get away with.

If he stays up he will be learning the right way the whole time, just not as quickly.

I'm sure Green and his staff will be glad to hear you think so highly of him. They go to the A to develop good habits or has Detroit been wasting it's time all these years?

I've got to admit it, when I saw Hutton play once on T.V. last season, I really didn't get all of the hype. This preseason however, he has been a revelation. He has a calmness and vision with the puck in the O-zone that we haven't had since Sami left. It's obviously only preseason but last nights game against SJ actually got kind of real after Virts stirred things up and if anything Hutton looked even better when that happened. I wouldn't lose my mind if he has to go down to the A to get top four minutes, but he has to be the first call up for injury.

• Upvote 1