The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ads on jerseys confirmed for world cup: test run for nhl

Sounds like a god awful idea to me, but I'll reserve judgment until I see what the final product looks like. If the logos are subtle, how is it any different than seeing a Nike swoosh, Warrior "W", or "BAUER" plastered across anyone's gear like we already do? I'm sure the NHL will make the World Cup jerseys as gaudy and hideous as those in most European leagues, but it may possible to add extra logos subtly. 

if this emblem thing goes through i hope they keep them off the merchandise jerseys ,that or sew them on giving the buyer the option of cutting them off ,if they iron them into the jersey that won't go over very well.

12 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Sounds like a god awful idea to me, but I'll reserve judgment until I see what the final product looks like. If the logos are subtle, how is it any different than seeing a Nike swoosh, Warrior "W", or "BAUER" plastered across anyone's gear like we already do? I'm sure the NHL will make the World Cup jerseys as gaudy and hideous as those in most European leagues, but it may possible to add extra logos subtly. 

At least Nike, Warrior and Bauer actually made the gear that their logos are on. It might be advertising, but it's strictly hockey advertising and not unrelated advertising like Starbucks or JiffyLube.

On 03/06/2016 at 4:54 PM, Alflives said:

What's the Nike swish, if not an add?

That's a little different if it's the jersey manufacturer. What I'm worried about is jerseys covered in ads like the teams in Europe. Imagine a Canucks jersey with ads for Rogers, Canadian Tire, Chevy, Tim Horton's, Safeway, etc all over the damn thing. No self respecting fan would buy one of those to walk around like a damn billboard. 

19 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

That's a little different if it's the jersey manufacturer. What I'm worried about is jerseys covered in ads like the teams in Europe. Imagine a Canucks jersey with ads for Rogers, Canadian Tire, Chevy, Tim Horton's, Safeway, etc all over the damn thing. No self respecting fan would buy one of those to walk around like a damn billboard. 

I agree with you.  I'm just saying we accept the Nike swoosh as decorative.  It looks neat.  It's still advertising though, just not obtuse. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would custom order mine WITHOUT ads that is so stupid but would make more money meaning salary cap goes up.Saying this the players would then want a big cut of 75% owners get 10% NHL gets 15% is what you will see a fight over the money!

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone getting to the point where watching sports isn't fun anymore?

1. You quit watching.
2. Canucks win the cup.
3. You go on a murdering spree due to the rage and shame of having jumped back on the bandwagon.

It's that simple. Don't be a murderer. Keep on watching. There is no escape.

Archived