Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

14 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Future 1st unit PP could look something like this:

Horvat as net front presence

Boeser at the right side, Ovechkin spot with one timer

Pettersson at the left side for the left side one timer

Juolevi as the point Dman

Dahlen as the guy who is down the middle receiving and making passes, and retrieving lose pucks.

Horvat (net front)

Boeser (rightside one timer)           Dahlen (in the middle retrieving lose pucks)             Pettersson (leftside one timer)

Juolevi (puck moving point man)

This unit would definitely be one of the top PP units :lol:

That is one scary formation. 

On 9/18/2017 at 6:06 AM, Rocksterh8 said:

Tired of all these excuses. If everyone else is bad and you're the 5th overall pick, thats when YOU pick up your game and make everyone else better.  Thats what a very high draft pick should be able to do. He does none of that.

Excuses for what?   He is simply a developing prospect.   Is it an excuse to be young and developing?   

• Upvote 1

JB (and our 2018 draft lotto luck) might have something to say about this,  but as it stands we have a lot of future success riding on this kid.  With a lot of slick kids coming into their own at forward, we could really use a Juolevi-Tanev top pairing to control the flow of games.   I think between Guddy/Stecher/Pouliot/Hutton we have rock solid young 2nd and 3rd pairings to play under a bonifide top pair.  

Big "if" but it's exciting to think how we'll look if it all pans out.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

What's a good website for checking player stats for SM Liiga? specifically TOI. I can find stats for goals/assists and points but nothing that has TOI

Liiga.fi

It’s in Finnish but you can get all the TOI stats (listed under “Aika”) there, both season average and game-by-game.

Here’s a direct link to Juolevi:

http://liiga.fi/pelaajat/24479743/juolevi-olli/ottelu-ottelulta

EDIT: for stats on other Liiga players, I find it easiest to just google the player name followed by “liiga.fi” and you generally get a result that takes you directly to their stats page. You can also use the site menu but it’s a little confusing for non-Finnish readers.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Liiga.fi

It’s in Finnish but you can get all the TOI stats (listed under “Aika”) there, both season average and game-by-game.

Here’s a direct link to Juolevi:

http://liiga.fi/pelaajat/24479743/juolevi-olli/ottelu-ottelulta

EDIT: for stats on other Liiga players, I find it easiest to just google the player name followed by “liiga.fi” and you generally get a result that takes you directly to their stats page. You can also use the site menu but it’s a little confusing for non-Finnish readers.

That's perfect! Thanks 

18 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

That's perfect! Thanks 

No problem. I went through a similar struggle a while back finding the numbers I wanted on Euro players. It’s weird but many of these sites are tough to find through normal English language search engines. But there’s a lot available from the official websites of the various European leagues. Here’s a list for anyone interested:

KHL.ru (also available in English as en.khl.ru)

SHL.se

Hockeyallsvenskan.se

Liiga.fi

Hokej.cz (for all the Czech leagues)

Many of these sites offer a treasure trove of stats, including fairly in-depth analytics. You just have to do a little bit of trial and error and use some google translate (unless you’re a total polyglot) to figure out the menus and stuff.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2017 at 9:41 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Excuses for what?   He is simply a developing prospect.   Is it an excuse to be young and developing?   

excuses for why he wasn't born with the last name Tkachuk. Some on CDC drool over that goofball like my beagle does for a hamburger. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Juolevi seems to be creating a lot more chances than he was in the past. He's adjusted well to his new setting, not sure whether moving him to the AHL next year is worth it or not though.

I think he'll be ready. Salo will be honest about his assessment on it either way. 

• Upvote 1

I know he’s an unpopular figure on CDC (and I also give him some grief sometimes) but Canucks Army’s JD Burke had some high praise for Juolevi in today’s “mailbag” feature:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/11/27/canucksarmy-monday-mailbag-november-27th/

On Olli’s NHL projections:

“Juolevi will be a top pair defenceman with a similar skill set to Dan Hamhuis.”

On who’s better, Heiskanen vs. Juolevi:

“It’s close. I’ve heard arguments for both players from people whose ability to analyze prospects I trust greatly. I lean towards Juolevi.”

I’m not saying Burke is some great authority on prospects, but it’s still noteworthy that even a highly regime-critical guy who second guesses most of management’s decisions (including many recent draft picks) is this high on Juolevi.

• Upvote 2

...then he comes up with things like this:

I probably wouldn’t re-sign Benning.

In four years he totally rebuilds the team and has top-level prospects nearing NHL-readiness despite nearly none when he arrived... but let's turf him and get someone else.  Irrational, by any metric.

They’ll get value out of Erik Gudbranson because this league tends to overvalue players with his skillset of handsomeness, size and physicality.

Like with Sutter and Dorsett, have come to expect such shallow myopia from him.  It's almost like he doesn't understand the game, or at least what it takes to make a successful TEAM.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

...then he comes up with things like this:

In four years he totally rebuilds the team and has top-level prospects nearing NHL-readiness despite nearly none when he arrived... but let's turf him and get someone else.  Irrational, by any metric.

Like with Sutter and Dorsett, have come to expect such shallow myopia from him.  It's almost like he doesn't understand the game, or at least what it takes to make a successful TEAM.

Yeah, I know. He’s almost pathological when it comes to the snark.

But still, you kinda gotta hand it to JD, he’s consistent and sticks to his guns (whether or not you agree with him).

And I honestly thought the Guddy part was pretty funny.

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know he’s an unpopular figure on CDC (and I also give him some grief sometimes) but Canucks Army’s JD Burke had some high praise for Juolevi in today’s “mailbag” feature:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/11/27/canucksarmy-monday-mailbag-november-27th/

On Olli’s NHL projections:

“Juolevi will be a top pair defenceman with a similar skill set to Dan Hamhuis.”

On who’s better, Heiskanen vs. Juolevi:

“It’s close. I’ve heard arguments for both players from people whose ability to analyze prospects I trust greatly. I lean towards Juolevi.”

I’m not saying Burke is some great authority on prospects, but it’s still noteworthy that even a highly regime-critical guy who second guesses most of management’s decisions (including many recent draft picks) is this high on Juolevi.

It's good to hear someone has that much faith in Juolevi but it's hard not to feel like he's a bit out to lunch when Heiskanen is playing 24 minutes a night over there and getting rave reports of his defensive and offensive play while Juolevi is playing 16 minutes a night and reports are that he still has some holes in his defensive game that he needs to work on. And all this while being a year younger

Not trying to $&!# on Juolevi but to believe he is the better prospect right now is pretty out there. Heiskanen is trending towards being a true #1 all situations guy while Juolevi is trending towards a decent top pairing guy or excellent top 4 guy.

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

It's good to hear someone has that much faith in Juolevi but it's hard not to feel like he's a bit out to lunch when Heiskanen is playing 24 minutes a night over there and getting rave reports of his defensive and offensive play while Juolevi is playing 16 minutes a night and reports are that he still has some holes in his defensive game that he needs to work on. And all this while being a year younger

Not trying to $&!# on Juolevi but to believe he is the better prospect right now is pretty out there. Heiskanen is trending towards being a true #1 all situations guy while Juolevi is trending towards a decent top pairing guy or excellent top 4 guy.

My only counterpoint on this is that we've seen OJ play and succeed in the west.  We've yet to see Heiskanen do the same.  Not to detract from what he's doing which is record setting but play in NA markets is vastly different

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My only counterpoint on this is that we've seen OJ play and succeed in the west.  We've yet to see Heiskanen do the same.  Not to detract from what he's doing which is record setting but play in NA markets is vastly different

Sure, that's an arguement for sure. A weak one IMO because Heiskenan hasn't had a chance to play here yet and I'm sure it will be erased as soon as he does get a chance. I don't think the NA market is so vastly different like you suggest for young prospects coming over to play

6 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

If OJ is nearly matching point totals with Heiskanen while playing 1/3 less minutes on average then we have the OFD of future for the NHL. 

EmW