The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I only respond as someone who was once a prospect and had to put up with crap like you post - hearing things said that were not only untrue, but bloody hurtful - only that was before chat boards and such and it was still a struggle to avoid hearing about it.   Support these kids and stop with all the innuendo and other crap that is all a misguided attempt to somehow make them sound worse than they are.   Let them be kids.  Let them develop.   Cheer their successes.   Support their failures (they will have them) and be a fan and not a troll.    

EVERY player in the NHL can improve so most certainly a kid that isn't in the NHL has to even improve more.   This constant comparison to other prospect's development paths is not only misguided, it doesn't reflect the fact that every organization has a different model and every player has a different path and development rate.   

I single our your posts as you are the latest in a moderately long line of posters with the exact same approach who seem to show up and disappear after after a few months of constant negatively toned posts that are clear enough in intent.    

Try this, posts as if the prospect will be reading your post AND that the prospect is in your family and you will be meeting him in a few weeks.   Constructive criticism - OJ needs to be more consistent (he does) and needs to take the body more regularly (he does) are examples of things one might say.   Some of the other crap?    

Carry on.   I doubt you will change but just realize these are kids you are slagging.   

What do you mean "untrue" things? The same things that his coach said about him? The fact that he had a really good year in Finland? The fact that it would be disappointing if he didn't make the Finnish WC squad when what should be an inferior player did? It looks like your feelings are more hurt than Juolevi's if I'm being honest. I'm sorry about that. 

"EVERY player in the NHL can improve so most certainly a kid that isn't in the NHL has to even improve more." It's almost like working on his quickness fits that bill. 

You disappeared for a couple of days after you were called out for posting untrue things in this thread earlier. I'm also still waiting on those Finnish sources where Salo apparently directly contradicts what he said a couple of days ago, where he said absolutely nothing about his quickness according to you.

Please stop singling out my posts. I don't think it's productive for either of us.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What do you mean "untrue" things? The same things that his coach said about him? The fact that he had a really good year in Finland? The fact that it would be disappointing if he didn't make the Finnish WC squad when what should be an inferior player did? It looks like your feelings are more hurt than Juolevi's if I'm being honest. I'm sorry about that. 

"EVERY player in the NHL can improve so most certainly a kid that isn't in the NHL has to even improve more." It's almost like working on his quickness fits that bill. 

You disappeared for a couple of days after you were called out for posting untrue things in this thread earlier. I'm also still waiting on those Finnish sources where Salo apparently directly contradicts what he said a couple of days ago, where he said absolutely nothing about his quickness according to you.

Please stop singling out my posts. I don't think it's productive for either of us.  

Salo was referring to his quickness of decision making and the Finnish sources were posted.   You know what you are doing.  Stop it or stop complaining when called on it.

• Upvote 3

On 4/25/2018 at 9:06 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I would say Glass getting left off of team Canada for the WJC in his draft +1 year doesn't look good on him. As you said, that doesn't mean he's suddenly worthless; it's just one tournament. 

The bolded simply isn't true.

I agree Juolevi had a very good year in Finland. But losing a spot to a younger player with less pedigree after having the advantage of playing in a men's league instead of the CHL doesn't look like a good sign to me. It wouldn't mean Juolevi's NHL career is lost, it means he needs to improve his game. 

You don't have to respond so emotionally to my posts. You did the same thing after misreading Salo's quote.

It hasnt happened more than likely wont so whats the point of saying that? 

• Haha 2

On 2018-04-25 at 4:06 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I would say Glass getting left off of team Canada for the WJC in his draft +1 year doesn't look good on him. As you said, that doesn't mean he's suddenly worthless; it's just one tournament. 

The bolded simply isn't true.

I agree Juolevi had a very good year in Finland. But losing a spot to a younger player with less pedigree after having the advantage of playing in a men's league instead of the CHL doesn't look like a good sign to me. It wouldn't mean Juolevi's NHL career is lost, it means he needs to improve his game. 

You don't have to respond so emotionally to my posts. You did the same thing after misreading Salo's quote.

Since when does Heiskinan have less of a pedigree than OJ. He was a 3rd OA pick.  He is only one year behind in the draft. 

OJ did outplay him on the WJC team. Heiskinan had better numbers in Ligia. 

If anything, Heiskinan has always been higher rated than OJ. Not by any huge margin, but is that a bad thing?  

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2018 at 3:07 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

That report is from before the draft and when skating was legitimately a strength of his. Since the draft, he's had to adjust to adding roughly 20 pounds of mass and his quickness has faltered for the moment as a result. 

I think the Finnish reports would provide some more insight. 

I have heard this story before.... Ben Hutton. He could skate well and escape trouble in his first year. Now, he gets caught every time.

I almost feel like Canucks are giving these kids wrong advice. 

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It hasnt happened more than likely wont so whats the point of saying that? 

I know. I was just saying it would suck if it did.

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Since when does Heiskinan have less of a pedigree than OJ. He was a 3rd OA pick.  He is only one year behind in the draft. 

OJ did outplay him on the WJC team. Heiskinan had better numbers in Ligia. 

If anything, Heiskinan has always been higher rated than OJ. Not by any huge margin, but is that a bad thing?  

I was referring to Jokijarju (29th overall in 2017) not Heiskanen.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, khay said:

I have heard this story before.... Ben Hutton. He could skate well and escape trouble in his first year. Now, he gets caught every time.

I almost feel like Canucks are giving these kids wrong advice. 

There are similarities, but I doubt Juolevi falls off a cliff that steep. Telling kids to gain weight is perfectly fine, there just has to be an emphasis on maintaining speed and quickness throughout and not rushing the process (ie. gaining a bunch of weight in the summer for training camp).

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

@1:51   -- How does he even see that pass opening up??

Juolevi looks pretty good quarterbacking the powerplay. He gets his wrist shot through traffic from the point and can find the open man quite well. 

Just now, Blömqvist said:

@1:51   -- How does he even see that pass opening up??

Juolevi looks pretty good quarterbacking the powerplay. He gets his wrist shot through traffic from the point and can find the open man quite well. 

As a goalie I can say an effective wrist shot from the point is far harder to anticipate and follow than a slap shot.   With a slap shot you know when it is coming/leaving stick but players can be very deceptive with a wrist shot and he has a really fast release.   I recall watching old tapes of guys like Coffey who used the wrist shot a lot.   Gives lots of rebound potential too.   

He may be a very good addition to a powerplay once he gets his feet into the NHL.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Olli as 7th d-man today against Sweden. 

Jokiharju and Vaakanainen are in the lineup. They are both year younger, late first rounders from last summer. Its worrying if especially Jokiharju ends up in final roster from whl instead of Juolevi who already played in ohl and against men in Finland.

Its not worrying. Olli is still 19 yrs old and it's huge for him to even be in consideration for the whc team. Don't stress about other dme being better than him. Focus on him and how he will help our team.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Its not worrying. Olli is still 19 yrs old and it's huge for him to even be in consideration for the whc team. Don't stress about other dme being better than him. Focus on him and how he will help our team.

Yeah I sometimes tend to overreact -_-

Gonna be great game to finally see both Petterson and Juolevi in mens national game.

Edited by DallasDrake

I thought Juolevi had a good game against the Swedes. Good defensively, broke up plays. Made good first passes and shower great vision to recognize passing options. But no pp time so it was hard to assess him fully. In fact, he didn't play a whole lot, which was unsatisfying.

I think Juolevi is a real smart player. He was constantly talking to the coaches during the game. My one concern is that he did not seem like the type of player that wants the puck on his stick to drive the play. 

I think OJ, EP, Bo, and Boeser will be great together. OJ can transition the puck up to EP or Bo, who can drive the puck and make things happen with the puck. Boeser can finish. 

44 minutes ago, khay said:

I thought Juolevi had a good game against the Swedes. Good defensively, broke up plays. Made good first passes and shower great vision to recognize passing options. But no pp time so it was hard to assess him fully. In fact, he didn't play a whole lot, which was unsatisfying.

I think Juolevi is a real smart player. He was constantly talking to the coaches during the game. My one concern is that he did not seem like the type of player that wants the puck on his stick to drive the play. 

I think OJ, EP, Bo, and Boeser will be great together. OJ can transition the puck up to EP or Bo, who can drive the puck and make things happen with the puck. Boeser can finish. 

you missed the one guy who is probably best at getting the puck up ice, Virtanen

• Upvote 1