The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Sounds about right for Joulevi's year and development.

Took some big steps and adjusted to coming out of junior and playing a faster game with men.

Definitely needs to get quicker on his feet and up his tempo to be an effective defenseman in the NHL.  He needs to be able to close gaps quicker and be able to keep pace with the quicker forwards of the NHL. 

Sami Salo appears to be a real hard a$$ lol.  Part of Olli's success is because of his swagger.  Worse case let him arrive in Vancouver. If he isn't physically ready banish him to Utica lol.

The organization and Salo who is an extension of the org have been giving Olli some tough love. Kids got some potential. I guess they feel beating him down until he's in the shape they need is key.

52 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Sami Salo appears to be a real hard a$$ lol.  Part of Olli's success is because of his swagger.  Worse case let him arrive in Vancouver. If he isn't physically ready banish him to Utica lol.

The organization and Salo who is an extension of the org have been giving Olli some tough love. Kids got some potential. I guess they feel beating him down until he's in the shape they need is key.

That same "swagger" may be what led to his lack of conditioning and insufficient offseason training after his draft.

If that is the case, I certainly don't mind Sami beating it out of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sounds almost exactly what other posters were saying regarding his quickness/play in his own end.

Yeah its a fair assessment when your talking about the transition to the NHL especially for most defensemen. However when some other posters use it as a tool to label the 19 year old kid a bust, then that is where I have a problem with it. Im glad Sami has an honest and tough approach with Olli. I think hes the perfect mentor for him. Here's hoping Olli has a great summer of training because I cant wait to see him play next year whether its with the Canucks or the Comets.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Yeah its a fair assessment when your talking about the transition to the NHL especially for most defensemen. However when some other posters use it as a tool to label the 19 year old kid a bust, then that is where I have a problem with it. Im glad Sami has an honest and tough approach with Olli. I think hes the perfect mentor for him. Here's hoping Olli has a great summer of training because I cant wait to see him play next year whether its with the Canucks or the Comets.

It's a perfect arrangement. As Juolevi looks up to and respects Salo. He grew up watching him. It sounds like he's been a very large proponent in breaking down Juolevis attitude, in a good way. There is a fine line between cocky and confident. Cocky does not allow for growth. Confidence in who you are and what you bring to the table is healthy. Salo is propping up his confidence while keeping the cocky down to a minimum :) 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ohmy said:

One of Juolevi's strengths when he was drafted was his skating. That slowly faded as he added more weight. Until he can get back to where he was, it's difficult for me to see him as a regular given our depth at LD.

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Utica isn't a punishment, it's an incubator

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

One of Juolevi's strengths when he was drafted was his skating. That slowly faded as he added more weight. Until he can get back to where he was, it's difficult for me to see him as a regular given our depth at LD.

He should be working on quick pivots and gap control. His body should be use to the weight by now and a strong summer will only help. I believe his potential greatly exceeds anyone we have on the left side but i certainly wont mind some time in the AHL if need be. The kid will be a stud for the team in the not to distant future. 

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sounds almost exactly what other posters were saying regarding his quickness/play in his own end.

Salo said zero on his "quickness" in his own end.   Salo is quoted elsewhere saying Juolevi might have been best skater on their entire team, forwards included.   Salo would like to see OJ better at defensive reads and decisions on when to take a guy and when to allow his partner to engage and those sorts of things.  OJ had two years in CHL where he lead the pairing in all those decisions and as a pro, you have better talent and need to stop trying to do it all.

Anyway, stop with the "quickness" thing as that is something he is not lacking.   His forays into the offensive end and ability to get back are two of his strengths IF you had actually watch any of his games this year versus inventing non-issues for him.   Nice try though.   

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Salo said zero on his "quickness" in his own end.   Salo is quoted elsewhere saying Juolevi might have been best skater on their entire team, forwards included.   Salo would like to see OJ better at defensive reads and decisions on when to take a guy and when to allow his partner to engage and those sorts of things.  OJ had two years in CHL where he lead the pairing in all those decisions and as a pro, you have better talent and need to stop trying to do it all.

Anyway, stop with the "quickness" thing as that is something he is not lacking.   His forays into the offensive end and ability to get back are two of his strengths IF you had actually watch any of his games this year versus inventing non-issues for him.   Nice try though.   

I get the feeling that Salo is just being a hard ass older brother type who thinks the sky is the limit and wants to push the best out of him.  Salo is a very stoic guy who came in fit and made the most out of his talent and I think he thinks OJ can be something special but wants to make sure by not letting up.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I remember when benning drafted Juolevi he said he reminded him of a young Lidstrom.

I know Lidstrom was known as a guy that was in peak physical shape, but was he always that way? Can anyone recall his early days in the NHL?

Lidstrom turned 22 in his first NHL season and from what I could find by asking quickly someone I know followed Red Wings forever, I got "he was a physical specimen from the get go - leading team in testing of any sort" so if he struggled with fitness, it may have been when he was a teen in Sweden.   He didn't actually play full-time in the top league until the year he turned 20 so perhaps it was fitness then that held him back and once he improved that, voila.   It could also speak to why he was a third round pick versus higher.   He said his Allsvenskan season the year he turned 19 was not that impressive but couldn't remember why exactly - again, could have been a lesser fitness commitment...would potentially fit to explain the later drafting for a guy who then went on to do well in SHL and was an immediate impact player in NHL making all-rookie team and winning rookie of the month a couple of times.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

I get the feeling that Salo is just being a hard ass older brother type who thinks the sky is the limit and wants to push the best out of him.  Salo is a very stoic guy who came in fit and made the most out of his talent and I think he thinks OJ can be something special but wants to make sure by not letting up.

Don't disagree at all.  Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Salo but from people I know who know him, you describe his reputation as a coach very well.   He is very "subdued" on hyping anyone and that is why his very positive remarks on Palmu really surprised me as you can likely magnify them a bit which could be VERY good news.

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

I think it's likely a case of 'if OJ wants to reach his ultimate ceiling...'. He's got the skill sets, the ability,the smarts etc. Now he has to put in the work that could allow him to be a top player in the best league in the world.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Source on the bolded? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Nice try for what? I just said I'd like to see him get quicker. That would help him get beat wide less often, especially at the next level. Salo literally says "better physical shape, conditioning, stronger and quicker." I don't think there are many better sources than the coach himself. 

1 hour ago, ohmy said:

He should be working on quick pivots and gap control. His body should be use to the weight by now and a strong summer will only help. I believe his potential greatly exceeds anyone we have on the left side but i certainly wont mind some time in the AHL if need be. The kid will be a stud for the team in the not to distant future. 

He's certainly not a bust, but could stand to improve in a couple areas, with quickness being one of them.