The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, WestCoast5347 said:

Skill wise I agree with you for sure. I don't know if Juolevi would be able to handle the physicality in the NHL as good as Sergachev could at this point though. I don't know if it's just me, but he seemed to have some dominant shifts and others where he seemed kind of like he was bored out there.  I don't know if he doesn't have a high intensity level or what. I don't want to be too harsh on that since I've only watched him twice. 

Lol yeah he definitely is a faster thinker then Edler. Edler waits 15 minutes for every hairy leg to get in the way to block a shot, then boom takes it anyways... blocked and breakaway, especially on the power play.    

Here I though I was the only one who noticed that....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Didn't he demolish Logan Brown (6'6" 214 lbs) with an open ice hit last game? Still waiting for the video on that.

Not saying that's going to be a regular part of his game, but he can certainly handle himself when he has to.

I watched most of the game and didnt see that. Maybe I missed it but I'm pretty skeptical that Juolevi "demolished" Brown.

That said Juolevi definitely seemed to take responsibility in shutting Brown down and played him extra hard, he did a fine job of it as well. That said I still don't think he should play in the NHL. He may be able to be good enough positionally wise to handle it but I don't see the point in risking iniuries to him getting pounded by NHL forwards on the forecheck when he's not physically mature yet. 

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

On 3/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, HomeBrew said:

Nice snipe! I hope he continues his offensive prowess and it becomes a fixture of his game. Here is a link of a longer clip: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/juolevi-right-place-right-time-snipe-home-goal/

EDIT: Apparently Juolevi had a huge hit on Brown? Did anyone see that??

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Maybe I missed it but I'm pretty skeptical that Juolevi "demolished" Brown.

According to the London Knights twitter he did.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

That said I still don't think he should play in the NHL. He may be able to be good enough positionally wise to handle it but I don't see the point in risking iniuries to him getting pounded by NHL forwards on the forecheck when he's not physically mature yet. 

I share your view, we need to cool our heals on Juolevi.  

He is two full years away from being in the NHL if it all goes well.

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I share your view, we need to cool our heals on Juolevi.  

He is two full years away from being in the NHL if it all goes well.

I'll settle for a solid #2 Dman, with some help on the PP  "Lumme-style"  and transition....2 or 3 years is fine because we're crowded back there as it is.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Another year in London wouldn't hurt.

He'd be under good coaches and a good team.

No need to rush him. We've got a ton of guys up at D already.

I see him playing a few games with us at the start of the year to have a taste of what it's like to play in the NHL. Montreal did it with Sergachev but they sheltered his minutes extremely.

58 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I see him playing a few games with us at the start of the year to have a taste of what it's like to play in the NHL. Montreal did it with Sergachev but they sheltered his minutes extremely.

Only way that happens is with injuries (or trades).

#rosterlimits

55 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Only way that happens is with injuries (or trades).

#rosterlimits

I suppose they could send Biega through waivers during the busy camp period and try their luck. More of a chance he gets claimed (likely that ever in his career) given how he's played this season.

But if Juolevi looks good, I could see JB trying to fit him in for opening night.

Whether or not that's the correct development play remains an open question.

EDIT: Pedan (if still here) would also require waivers but I see him clearing easily at this point.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose they could send Biega through waivers during the busy camp period and try their luck. More of a chance he gets claimed (likely that ever in his career) given how he's played this season.

But if Juolevi looks good, I could see JB trying to fit him in for opening night.

Juolevi needs to play to keep developing. To me, that's the starting 6 (at least most games). If nobody is injured, there's no room for him in the top 6 without trades. Even after moving a guy ahead of the ED or losing Sbisa in the ED.

Now I'm fine if we make some trades and make space if they think that's the route to go but as of today, there's no room.

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If we lose Sbisa to expansion, I could see Juolevi getting a chance if he can add some weight.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

If we lose Sbisa to expansion, I could see Juolevi getting a chance if he can add some weight.

That just ensures we have room to get Gudbranson back in. Still would have to move, say Hutton.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That just ensures we have room to get Gudbranson back in. Still would have to move, say Hutton.

My guess is that we move a RHD. We have more of a logjam there with Stecher, Tanev, Gudbranon and Tryamkin who prefers the right. I can't see us moving Hutton as on the left we have Edler, Hutton and Sbisa and Sbisa is likely to get taken in the expansion draft.

If we loose Sbisa and trade a RHD than I can see room for Juolevi and it's a very likely scenario and Benning has stated multiple times he'd like to trade a D for a forward.

I just want Juolevi to make the team because he is ready, not because we have a hole in the roster to fill up.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

My guess is that we move a RHD. We have more of a logjam there with Stecher, Tanev, Gudbranon and Tryamkin who prefers the right. I can't see us moving Hutton as on the left we have Edler, Hutton and Sbisa and Sbisa is likely to get taken in the expansion draft.

If we loose Sbisa and trade a RHD than I can see room for Juolevi and it's a very likely scenario and Benning has stated multiple times he'd like to trade a D for a forward.

I just want Juolevi to make the team because he is ready, not because we have a hole in the roster to fill up.

I think they're hopeful the 'move a D for a for a forward' trade is ahead of the expansion draft which likely equals one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa and hence not losing any of them in the ED for free.

The only other guy I could see them maybe move would be Hutton. I'm not sure he fits long term and being ED exempt, he'd have a TON of value. But there's absolutely no rush to move him and even then, there's no guarantee Juolevi makes the club as they'll likely sign a depth/3rd pair UFA to fill that 3rd pair spot in that case. 

Point being, I HIGHLY doubt Juolevi is on the Canucks next year.Which is fine as he probably still needs to get bigger. Unfortunately the AHL would probably be the best place for him though.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I think they're hopeful the 'move a D for a for a forward' trade is ahead of the expansion draft which likely equals one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa and hence not losing any of them in the ED for free.

The only other guy I could see them maybe move would be Hutton. I'm not sure he fits long term and being ED exempt, he'd have a TON of value. But there's absolutely no rush to move him and even then, there's no guarantee Juolevi makes the club as they'll likely sign a depth/3rd pair UFA to fill that 3rd pair spot in that case. 

Point being, I HIGHLY doubt Juolevi is on the Canucks next year.Which is fine as he probably still needs to get bigger. Unfortunately the AHL would probably be the best place for him though.

Agree with that.

If they move a defenseman before the expansion draft then who are they hoping to expose? Gaunce? I'd rather lose Sbisa than Gaunce as Sbisa doesn't fit into the long term plans while Gaunce still has potential to be a decent 3rd line guy and made a massive jump this year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Agree with that.

If they move a defenseman before the expansion draft then who are they hoping to expose? Gaunce? I'd rather lose Sbisa than Gaunce as Sbisa doesn't fit into the long term plans while Gaunce still has potential to be a decent 3rd line guy and made a massive jump this year.

Not sure why Sbisa would not be in long term plans. He is having his best NHL season and is in the development time line. I simply cannot see Benning letting a top 4 d-man go to Vegas. Either he deals beforehand or makes a deal with Vegas. Canucks will not lose Gaunce as Vegas would likely take Boucher.  

6 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Agree with that.

Probably Gaunce, maybe Boucher etc.

As much as I love Gaunce, he's replaceable. Sbisa will also have a heck of a lot more trade value after the ED as guys scramble to fill 4th D holes.