The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

44 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Biggest Draft Mistakes:

Juolevi instead of Sergachev (if taking a D)

Virtanen instead of the Maple Leaf Swede or Ehlers.

If sarcasm, well played, and ignore the rest of this post. If not, remind me which team eliminated Sergachev's Windsor Spitfires in the playoffs, and which player was the first star in game seven of that series, scoring the series winning goal? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Guile said:

If sarcasm, well played, and ignore the rest of this post. If not, remind me which team eliminated Sergachev's Windsor Spitfires in the playoffs, and which player was the first star in game seven of that series, scoring the series winning goal? 

Sergachev is making the stronger Lightning roster. That is all.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:40 PM, The 5th Line said:

Okay we have people in here claiming that they talk to "Respected people in the hockey world".  The know it all-ism in this thread makes me sick

I don't see anyone here panicking, I see concern because once again one of our top 5 draft picks isn't seperating himself from the pack, once again we have to sit around and watch other young players make impacts for other teams while ours struggle to produce in lesser leagues, once again we must listen to the excuses all year as to why our player is struggling.  People are definitely allowed to be concerned

A couple of players from the most recent draft are playing in this training camp.   Not ours though, so... not so much worried as noticing things.  So far, the only recent Canuck draft pick to make an impact -- a big impact -- is Horvat, who was the previous regime's pick.  Boeser looks like a terrific pick for the latter half of the first round... Tryamkin was, I guess, a steal for the later rounds and Demko looks stronger than Anders Nilsson by a country mile.. so we're not bad.  But Virt, Juolevi, McCann are not world beaters yet.  (Although I think Virt makes the team and looks good this year.)  Pettersson is not playing in this year's training camp... should he?  I'm not sure... but it would be nice to see him in action... even for just a few powerplays.

2 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

Sergachev is making the stronger Lightning roster. That is all.

You know what, that's a good argument lol. I tried to come up with a clever rebuke, and admittedly Serge doesn't have too many quality LHD to beat out on Tampa's roster (him vs. Coburn as the third pairing LHD, plus he may make as 7/8 D) to make the team, but it's a very solid point nonetheless. Apologies for my somewhat aggressive reply. 

Personally, I think OJ will turn out to be better overall and more valuable in 5 years - think Ryan Suter (not quite as good) vs Tyson Barrie. But that's his ceiling, and he may not reach it. I just value intelligence over almost all other factors, and OJ has that in spades. We will have to wait and see.

My two favourites from the 2016 NHL draft were Sergachev and Keller. Both of those players are looking very good for their respective clubs, while Juolevi hasn't. That doesn't mean it's going to stay that way forever; Juolevi could bounce back next season with a spectacular year. But as of right now, I'd rather have either of those two players. 

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

My two favourites from the 2016 NHL draft were Sergachev and Keller. Both of those players are looking very good for their respective clubs, while Juolevi hasn't. That doesn't mean it's going to stay that way forever; Juolevi could bounce back next season with a spectacular year. But as of right now, I'd rather have either of those two players. 

Really?  I don't know about Keller, but Montreal fans think Serg should go back to Jrs.  They don't see him as NHL ready yet.  And not one of them are saying he's a bust either!  What a surprise!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Really?  I don't know about Keller, but Montreal fans think Serg should go back to Jrs.  They don't see him as NHL ready yet.  And not one of them are saying he's a bust either!  What a surprise!

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

LOL.  That's what you get for snooping around other team's boards.  But yeah, the Tampa fans aren't expecting him to make the jump this year.

Sergachev almost made Montreal out of camp last year. If Windsor wasn't hosting the Memorial Cup, he probably would have stuck with them. That was a pretty good developmental reason to send him down. He's also looked good in the Lightning camps as well. In the games that I've watched him play, he can physically dominate in a way Juolevi likely never will. He uses his size, skating, reach and strength to make himself more dynamic in almost every way. 

Keller is near the top in nearly all of the preseason Calder trophy nominations. He's an extremely smart, shifty, electric centreman that can put up points but still be responsible. His passing ability, hockey IQ and understanding of the game are all absolutely incredible. The only drawback on him is that he's small, but he's way to smart to have that set him back in the NHL for too long. 

Juolevi could very well be a dominate player, but it will never be in the same way as Sergachev (not including Keller because he's a forward). He has proven to be a big game player given has past performances in the Playoffs for London, this year in particular. But he does also seem to have a tendency to disappear for stretches as well and not in a subtly brilliant way. I think the biggest thing with him his he is at his best when he has an extra second to make a decision. When he has pressure right on him, he seems to struggle a bit too much for someone who's advertised as a calm, steady defenseman. 

Don't get me wrong, I still believe he could be a very good player for us moving forward. The effects he could have on our team could be similar to the effects Lindholm has on the Ducks, which is very good. It's just tough to watch someone who "apparently" had more risk succeeding when he has elite #1 potential given he can control the game in so many different ways in Sergachev. I believe in Juolevi and we'll see how he is next year. 

P.S. I believe Mete has yet to be cut from Montreal. He passed Juolevi on London's depth chart this past year for the majority of the regular season. I think he was a 5th round pick. He is (or was if he has gotten cut) one of the leading candidates to play with Weber on the top pairing. 

People need to calm down and give the kid some time to mature. A year in Finland playing for Salo will do him wonders. Look no further than the Virtanen situation. This time last year, everyone was calling for JB's head, saying Jake was a total bust. The tune has changed quite a bit nowadays, so give Olli some time guys! He'll be a good one, we just need to be patient. 

12 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sergachev almost made Montreal out of camp last year. If Windsor wasn't hosting the Memorial Cup, he probably would have stuck with them. That was a pretty good developmental reason to send him down. He's also looked good in the Lightning camps as well. In the games that I've watched him play, he can physically dominate in a way Juolevi likely never will. He uses his size, skating, reach and strength to make himself more dynamic in almost every way. 

Keller is near the top in nearly all of the preseason Calder trophy nominations. He's an extremely smart, shifty, electric centreman that can put up points but still be responsible. His passing ability, hockey IQ and understanding of the game are all absolutely incredible. The only drawback on him is that he's small, but he's way to smart to have that set him back in the NHL for too long. 

Juolevi could very well be a dominate player, but it will never be in the same way as Sergachev (not including Keller because he's a forward). He has proven to be a big game player given has past performances in the Playoffs for London, this year in particular. But he does also seem to have a tendency to disappear for stretches as well and not in a subtly brilliant way. I think the biggest thing with him his he is at his best when he has an extra second to make a decision. When he has pressure right on him, he seems to struggle a bit too much for someone who's advertised as a calm, steady defenseman. 

Don't get me wrong, I still believe he could be a very good player for us moving forward. The effects he could have on our team could be similar to the effects Lindholm has on the Ducks, which is very good. It's just tough to watch someone who "apparently" had more risk succeeding when he has elite #1 potential given he can control the game in so many different ways in Sergachev. I believe in Juolevi and we'll see how he is next year. 

P.S. I believe Mete has yet to be cut from Montreal. He passed Juolevi on London's depth chart this past year for the majority of the regular season. I think he was a 5th round pick. He is (or was if he has gotten cut) one of the leading candidates to play with Weber on the top pairing. 

You lost me at pre-season rookie of the year nominations

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

You lost me at pre-season rookie of the year nominations

I knew that wasn't the right way to say it, but my mind was running blank :lol:

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As someone who knows several people involved with the London Knights, those would disagree with you with considerable enthusiasm.   Mete is a fairly one-dimensional player who has nice offensive upside but struggled to prevent other teams scoring and therefore was sheltered from other team's top lines, PK duties etc.   Not saying he is a horrid prospect but his game is a long way from where Juolevi is.   If you are fixated with just points, there are many higher scoring Dmen from OHL who never get a sniff at NHL - tons of them.

I just want to be clear, I'm not saying Mete is better than Juolevi. I understand that Juolevi was tasked with playing with a rookie and still managed to maintain the same scoring pace from the year before. That is indeed impressive. His performances in the past to OHL Playoffs and 1 Memorial Cup were also very, very good. 

I also don't think I specifically mentioned offensive production anywhere in my previous post. The main difference I pointed out between Sergachev and Juolevi was the difference in physical ability. Sergachev's physical tools allow him to shrug off other players easily, protect the puck, skate with the puck up ice, etc. Juolevi's game and build don't allow for that sort of play, which is an aspect that Sergachev easily outshines him in. I don't know if Juolevi's hockey IQ is better than Sergachev's to the point that it nullifies that considerable physical gap in ability. 

Once again, I do think Juolevi will be a very solid player for us. It's just hard to watch the guy that was deemed more "risky" and needing more development already making more of an impact than Juolevi. 

Completely off topic but I just thought of it; imagine if we had actually taken Keller with that pick, our forward group would look pretty amazing:

Keller - Horvat - Virtanen

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser

That's a pretty good mix of size, speed, smarts and finishing ability. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I knew that wasn't the right way to say it, but my mind was running blank :lol:

I just want to be clear, I'm not saying Mete is better than Juolevi. I understand that Juolevi was tasked with playing with a rookie and still managed to maintain the same scoring pace from the year before. That is indeed impressive. His performances in the past to OHL Playoffs and 1 Memorial Cup were also very, very good. 

I also don't think I specifically mentioned offensive production anywhere in my previous post. The main difference I pointed out between Sergachev and Juolevi was the difference in physical ability. Sergachev's physical tools allow him to shrug off other players easily, protect the puck, skate with the puck up ice, etc. Juolevi's game and build don't allow for that sort of play, which is an aspect that Sergachev easily outshines him in. I don't know if Juolevi's hockey IQ is better than Sergachev's to the point that it nullifies that considerable physical gap in ability. 

Once again, I do think Juolevi will be a very solid player for us. It's just hard to watch the guy that was deemed more "risky" and needing more development already making more of an impact than Juolevi. 

Sergachev is having the camp this year that Juolevi had last year - inconsistency at this age is not only common, it should be expected.   Sergachev is a fine prospect but don't think his ceiling is as high as Juolevi.

Oh, and not sure why we are discussing Sergachev as I was responding to you saying Mete had passed Juolevi in London last year - and I don't believe that was the case at all....you got me side-tracked in your not answering by invoking Sergachev.    Good ploy!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sergachev is having the camp this year that Juolevi had last year - inconsistency at this age is not only common, it should be expected.   Sergachev is a fine prospect but don't think his ceiling is as high as Juolevi.

Oh, and not sure why we are discussing Sergachev as I was responding to you saying Mete had passed Juolevi in London last year - and I don't believe that was the case at all....you got me side-tracked in your not answering by invoking Sergachev.    Good ploy!

Juolevi was playing with a rookie and that's why he wasn't on the top pair. Mete did average more minutes on average if I recall correctly though. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on Sergachev though. I think his ceiling is extremely high and the chances of him hitting have gotten higher now that he can learn how to do it from Hedman. 

• Upvote 1

OJ will be fine; every player has different aspects of their game which need to be improved on. For Olli  it's his skating, specifically the first three steps. Once he does that he will be able to  retrieve the puck quicker and have more time to make a

play. 

In a two or three years time during our quest for the cup fans will be singing this in Rogers Arena

Ollie Ollie Ollie 

Oi Oi Oi !!!

*Occasionally repeated several times consecutively, the 'Oi' chorus growing louder with each calling.*

:towel:

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize