The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

For reference right now and I know they are a year apart

Juolevi with todays point has 7 points in 9 games

Heiskanen has 8 points in 9 games.

Relevant because they're in the same league and both potential WJC and Olympic hopefuls.

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Relevant because they're in the same league and both potential WJC and Olympic hopefuls.

Juolevi's numbers right now are incredible for an under-20 defensemen in Liiga.

In most years, he'd be the clear #1 scorer among U20 Ds. However, he just happens to be playing in a year when an 18yo (Heiskanen 8 points in 9GP) and a 17yo (Anttoni Honka 5 points in 5GP) are flirting with all-time record breaking seasons.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In most years, he'd be the clear #1 scorer among U20 Ds. However, he just happens to be playing in a year when an 18yo (Heiskanen 8 points in 9GP) and a 17yo (Anttoni Honka 5 points in 5GP) are flirting with all-time record breaking seasons.

How much does Juolevi’s size (6’3 200) play into his favour versus the smaller Heiskanen (6’1 180) and Honka is listed as a 5’9 170 smurf?

I hope Olli is playing well defensively on top of the points - being promoted to top pair bodes well.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

how quickly he's been able to earn his coaches' trust.

For me, this is at least as important as any stats that are put up.  We have a hard time seeing the role being played since we don't have access to watch all the games, but the time on ice and top line pairing are for me the big news, especially after not getting a lot of games early in the season.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I've already said this, but man Heskainen has been unreal. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Miro Heiskanen has scored two goals in his game today and has 10 points in 10 games.

Olli Juolevi with no points in today's game has 7 points in 10 games.

Both are currently playing top pairing minutes for their respective Liiga teams -- the difference is that Heiskanen has been playing top minutes since last season as a 17 year old. Juolevi has had to adjust to the international ice sheet and Finnish style of play. 

If we were choosing a defenseman last draft, I was hoping for Heiskanen. He is such a smooth skater and has great vision and IQ in both the defensive and offensive zones. I questioned how much offense he could produce, but I knew he was more offensive-minded than Juolevi, who looks to be more of a two-way defenseman. 

The way I think it, I would say Juolevi is similar to Edler and Heiskanen is similar to Ehrhoff back in 2009-2011. Edler was bigger and better defensively yet still able to put up 30-40 points and quarterback the powerplay. Ehrhoff had trouble at times with bigger forwards and in battles along the boards or in front of the net, but was very good with the puck on his stick. Both Juolevi and Heiskanen have fared very well playing against men in the Finnish league, but the NHL is a whole different animal. To his credit, Juolevi shutdown Logan Brown and Gabe Villardi in the OHL playoffs last year and has the size to handle bigger forwards when he makes the NHL.

12 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Miro Heiskanen has scored two goals in his game today and has 10 points in 10 games.

Olli Juolevi with no points in today's game has 7 points in 10 games.

Both are currently playing top pairing minutes for their respective Liiga teams -- the difference is that Heiskanen has been playing top minutes since last season as a 17 year old. Juolevi has had to adjust to the international ice sheet and Finnish style of play. 

If we were choosing a defenseman last draft, I was hoping for Heiskanen. He is such a smooth skater and has great vision and IQ in both the defensive and offensive zones. I questioned how much offense he could produce, but I knew he was more offensive-minded than Juolevi, who looks to be more of a two-way defenseman. 

The way I think it, I would say Juolevi is similar to Edler and Heiskanen is similar to Ehrhoff back in 2009-2011. Edler was bigger and better defensively yet still able to put up 30-40 points and quarterback the powerplay. Ehrhoff had trouble at times with bigger forwards and in battles along the boards or in front of the net, but was very good with the puck on his stick. Both Juolevi and Heiskanen have fared very well playing against men in the Finnish league, but the NHL is a whole different animal. To his credit, Juolevi shutdown Logan Brown and Gabe Villardi in the OHL playoffs last year and has the size to handle bigger forwards when he makes the NHL.

Heiskanen is really light though.  Big time bust potential if he can’t take the harder play in North America.  Don’t care if he wins the MVP over there.  We tried a Smurf last season, who put up a lot of points in Europe, and that didn’t go very well.  Juiolevi is NHL size, is smart, and puts up points.  Much better pick - BY FAR!

• Cheers 2