The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You know who else was full of potential, small and struggled with his defensive game? Jordan Subban.

People need to stop making this comparison as though it's remotely an intelligent one.

That's like saying that an 80's Chevrolet Sprint and a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom are basically the same cars because they're all light and small.

Never mind that a guy like Boqvist is already taller and not much lighter than 23 year old Subban AT 17 YEARS OLD.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

People need to stop making this comparison as though it's remotely an intelligent one.

That's like saying that both an 80's Chevrolet Sprint and a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom are basically the same cars because they're all light and small.

Obviously that chev would blow the doors off that overpriced neon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

That's like saying that both an 80's Chevrolet Sprint and a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom are basically the same cars because they're all light and small.

Never mind that a guy like Boqvist is already taller and not much lighter than 23 year old Subban AT 17 YEARS OLD.

Isn’t Boquist almost the age for next year’s draft.  I heard that Tkatchuk, who Button moved up to second pick, is one day in age from last year’s group.  That makes Tkatchuk pretty much a full year older than Boquist, right?  That year of development can make a BIG difference at 17/18.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's like saying that an 80's Chevrolet Sprint and a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom are basically the same cars because they're all light and small.

Oh yeah, it's just like comparing those two cars. (not)

All I'm saying is that these two smallish kids will take more time to develop and play (effectively) in the NHL. How good is Boqvist defensively? That's why Subban is not in the NHL, in addition to his lack of size for a D. I'm sure Boqvist is loaded with offensive talent, like Subban, but unless he can play high level D...

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

20:47 TOI for Juolevi today in a 6-5 win. TPS leads the series 2-0.

I thought, once again, he looked solid, calm and quite physical when needed.   Tallinder had a better game too which I am sure helped the cause.    TPS looks like they could take this series this must be great experience for the young guy.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

All I'm saying is that these two smallish kids will take more time to develop and play (effectively) in the NHL. How good is Boqvist defensively? That's why Subban is not in the NHL, in addition to his lack of size for a D. I'm sure Boqvist is loaded with offensive talent, like Subban, but unless he can play high level D...

Subban’s offense was not good enough to outweigh his defensive liabilities.  Boquist will definitely have defensive issues.  Will his offence outweigh that?  He’s really young, so he might get bigger.  I wonder if Boquist falls like Liljegren?

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

One was a 4th round pick for a reason.

The other is ranked roughly 4th overall in a deep draft for a reason. 

Boqvist is probably almost in par defensively AT 17 as Subban is now. 

And he's taller and not much lighter.

It's a completely asinine premise/argument. 

Just now, Rush17 said:

How was he on the +/- with that high scoring game.  Ryan biech tweeted he was having a rough 2nd.

I know +/- isn't everything. But it can be a decent indicator. Just curious if he was average. Above average. If he's gonna stay on the top pairing etc.

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

One was a 4th round pick for a reason.

The other is ranked roughly 4th overall in a deep draft for a reason. 

Boqvist is probably almost in par defensively AT 17 as Subban is now. 

And he's taller and not much lighter.

It's a completely asinine premise/argument. 

I'm really not sure why Subban was drafted late. Maybe his size scared GMs 5 years ago, when teams were trying to get bigger.

It's not really an argument. Boqvist is a good skater, with a good shot and provides offence, but he isn't great defensively. He'll need to develop that part of his game. That, in addition to translating his game to smaller ice, will take time. Whereas I think Bouchard plays in the NHL as soon as next year, or maybe 2019/20.    

Edited by NUCKER67

31 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

How was he on the +/- with that high scoring game.  Ryan biech tweeted he was having a rough 2nd.

Very odd, I thought he played better in the 2nd than the 1st (?).  Third he looked really solid.    Ryan may think/say that as Turku was on their heels much of the 2nd but it was more the forwards were too far separated and they couldn't get puck out for long periods of time.    They were outshot in that period 12-6.

He and Tallinder ended up -1.    They were matched up against the top SaiPa line most of the game.   

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm really not sure why Subban was drafted late. Maybe his size scared GMs 5 years ago, when teams were trying to get bigger.

It's not really an argument. Boqvist is a good skater, with a good shot and provides offence, but he isn't great defensively. He'll need to develop that part of his game. That, in addition to translating his game to smaller ice, will take time. Whereas I think Bouchard plays in the NHL as soon as next year, or maybe 2019/20.    

Likely because it is far from certain then or even now if he will be an NHL player.    

His skating has regressed so much since he was drafted, it's going to cause big-time problems if he ever makes it. In the Finnish league, nobody's just make him look like a pylon skating around him, he can't do anything because of how bad his backward skating is.

He very rarely carries the puck up ice which is disappointing. There was one play in OT in game 1 where he tried to carry the puck, had the easy pass to his left winger but completely bobbled the puck and shot it into the bench. The commentators couldn't stop laughing. Looks like he has very low confidence when he plays.

Since he was drafted to now, he has lost almost all his dynamic qualities and has turned into a bland, safe, slow d-man who's best quality is making a good stretch pass with no pressure to his forward.

Then you hear Salo and how he still has work to do with conditioning it's very concerning. The NHL is, even more, faster, much more intense, with more skilled players.

• Wat 6

48 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

His skating has regressed so much since he was drafted, it's going to cause big-time problems if he ever makes it. In the Finnish league, nobody's just make him look like a pylon skating around him, he can't do anything because of how bad his backward skating is.

He very rarely carries the puck up ice which is disappointing. There was one play in OT in game 1 where he tried to carry the puck, had the easy pass to his left winger but completely bobbled the puck and shot it into the bench. The commentators couldn't stop laughing. Looks like he has very low confidence when he plays.

Since he was drafted to now, he has lost almost all his dynamic qualities and has turned into a bland, safe, slow d-man who's best quality is making a good stretch pass with no pressure to his forward.

Then you hear Salo and how he still has work to do with conditioning it's very concerning. The NHL is, even more, faster, much more intense, with more skilled players.

I can't comment on the backward skating, but I noticed a few times that he is definitely able turn on the burners, usually to get back into position after he had pushed play and they lost the puck. Actually I thought his first few (forward) steps were quick and effortless.