The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

56 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I don't know if you seen my question earlier... any idea why the TSN top prospect list no longer has Juolevi in the top 50? I seen a number of guys that were in last years list and still on this years or moved positions either way... but Olli is gone now! Why... is it his play this year or what? 

I don't take TSN prospect rankings too seriously. A lot of it has to do with other prospects improving their stock. Juolevi was rank top 50 last season because he was expected to make the Canucks roster this season. However, he had off-season back surgery, so the plan for him after that is to spend half a season in AHL and then gets called up to play full-time at around this point of the season. Unfortunately for him, he suffered a knee injury and has a season ending surgery. He only played 18 AHL games this season, His sample size is too small, and TSN probably thinks other players have passed him. He has had a very good year in Finland last season, and his AHL stats have been really good. It's too bad he doesn't get any breaks with injuries. I really hope these injuries don't derail his development because I still believe he is a very smart defenseman and a very underrated prospect.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Literally all you do is get mad at people for what they post about.  I just read through your some of your recent posts and you are calling people idiots, you are telling people to shut up, you called Laine and the Jets trash for some reason?  You called Calgary trash..   And the last time I replied to one of your comments you disappeared, obviously you were stumped.  And you are going to be stumped after this message too.

Here I am just carving this poor kid, and totally not telling it like it is

I could of grabbed a better quote for this one but it's me shutting down people's Lidstrom comparisons.... THE Nik Lidstrom.  Am I a hater for this?  So be it

Now here's me comparing him to Roman Josi.  Sorry for selling the kid so short, very disrespectful of me.

After his Draft +1 I felt that he had regressed or at least stagnated, of course it triggered the hell out of people, but I stick by those comments.  His next time up at the world junior tournament I went on to say this.

He couldn't beat out Pouliot or Biega and he's getting dummied 5vs5 in the AHL, now he's hurt and Matt Tkachuk is a star and a leader and is exactly the type of player we could use. That's reality. It Sucks. Deal with it

Hutton's Wink

KanuckFanatic

aGent

and whoever else all have me on ignore strictly because I shut down their fanboy, homer narrative and crush them in debates simply by using logic.  The list continues to grow why don't you add yourself to it? 

Hate to break it to you, but you're not as clever as you think you are to stump anyone. All you do is post dumb crap and whine and cry about the "homers" calling you out on it and making you look silly. These homers aren't acting like Juolevi is the greatest defender ever like you keep telling yourself. They are just tired of your garbage that you try to pass off as being "realistic."

But please, keep crying for me and telling us all how we are homers because we don't feel it is necessary to constantly trash our own prospects. That's all you seem to be good for around here.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I don't take TSN prospect rankings too seriously. A lot of it has to do with other prospects improving their stock. Juolevi was rank top 50 last season because he was expected to make the Canucks roster this season. However, he had off-season back surgery, so the plan for him after that is to spend half a season in AHL and then gets called up to play full-time at around this point of the season. Unfortunately for him, he suffered a knee injury and has a season ending surgery. He only played 18 AHL games this season, His sample size is too small, and TSN probably thinks other players have passed him. He has had a very good year in Finland last season, and his AHL stats have been really good. It's too bad he doesn't get any breaks with injuries. I really hope these injuries don't derail his development because I still believe he is a very smart defenseman and a very underrated prospect.

Awesome! thanks for your input :)

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okaayyy then.  

It's the hindsight posts that annoy me lol. Sure we coulda had MT....we get it...but in almost every draft there are better players that are passed on. At the time, he pick was a solid pick. Bad luck sucks but oj can still be a great defenseman

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

@Rob_Zepp

Not bad. While JB hasn’t been 100% on picking the “best” player to come out of each first round pick. Where he has separated himself is the Brock and EP picks. Those were homeruns that change the outlook of a team. They also weren’t lock picks that everyone was expecting us to take, he had to go somewhat off the board and trust his scouting staff and in these cases they’ve turned out to be massive wins. This team would look a lot less promising had we taken konecny/carlsson in 2015 and vilardi/glass (despite those still being solid prospects)

I also think Hughes will define his tenure as being a solid GM for the higher end talent and Gaudette, Madden and Utunen and similar will define his latter round successes nicely too.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I also think Hughes will define his tenure as being a solid GM for the higher end talent and Gaudette, Madden and Utunen and similar will define his latter round successes nicely too.

I agree with that.  A connection of mine got me onto the Hughes hype train going back to the 2017 draft year. Was shocked we were able to snag him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It may very well turn out that way, but I suspect that wasn’t quite the design. I imagine JB was hoping he had a first line winger in Jake and a top pairing guy in Olli. He didn’t know he would be getting Boeser and Petey when he drafted Virtanen, nor did he know Hughes was coming when he drafted Juolevi. Normally the plan would be to fill those top roles first, and then grab the supporting cast. As it stands, we have a couple guys in Jake and Olli who will likely be solid supporting pieces, but it took JB a few swings of the bat to grab truly elite first round talent. In the end, the results should be positive, but I don’t think the Canucks were looking to nab good secondary players with their top-6 picks in 2014 and 2016. They were hoping for star players, and just missed the mark a bit with those picks. That said, the 2015, 2017, and 2018 first rounders were home runs, and all said, the 5 first rounders from 2014-18 are, on average, ahead of the curve.

So, what makes Vancouver different than any other franchise?   Every team has a similar story.    

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It may very well turn out that way, but I suspect that wasn’t quite the design. I imagine JB was hoping he had a first line winger in Jake and a top pairing guy in Olli. He didn’t know he would be getting Boeser and Petey when he drafted Virtanen, nor did he know Hughes was coming when he drafted Juolevi. Normally the plan would be to fill those top roles first, and then grab the supporting cast. As it stands, we have a couple guys in Jake and Olli who will likely be solid supporting pieces, but it took JB a few swings of the bat to grab truly elite first round talent. In the end, the results should be positive, but I don’t think the Canucks were looking to nab good secondary players with their top-6 picks in 2014 and 2016. They were hoping for star players, and just missed the mark a bit with those picks. That said, the 2015, 2017, and 2018 first rounders were home runs, and all said, the 5 first rounders from 2014-18 are, on average, ahead of the curve.

Was there a star player in Jake’s draft, after 5?  

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So, what makes Vancouver different than any other franchise?   Every team has a similar story.    

Hawks won three Cups with Kane and Toews leading the way.  During their rebuild they drafted (the guy we had a couple years ago.  I forgot his name) at 8th overall one draft.  Jake and Olli aren’t misses; they will definitely be important contributors.  Petey and Hughes are the guys who will drive the team.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nothing. Wasn’t really suggesting otherwise. Just saying that I doubt JB went into his first draft saying “I hope I can grab a solid 3rd line winger” with a sixth overall pick. Nor was the Juolevi pick about trying to secure a solid 2nd pairing guy to back up the potential star Dman they’d draft in 2018. 

This isn't criticism of the draft record. It’s more questioning the idea that all the top picks from 2014-18 were hits and part of a grand design to create a specific group. Like every team, plans change and evolve. And like every scouting department, the Canucks have had some hits and misses. Overall, the Canucks are moving toward something good. But it’s not like they’ve had only successes with their top picks.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was there a star player in Jake’s draft, after 5?  

I dunno. I’d say Larkin and Pastrnak would look pretty good right now (instead of Virtanen and McCann). I’m not really big on the hindsight game though. Like I said earlier, every team has hits and misses at the draft. And I’m not saying Virtanen or Juolevi were really (complete) misses. Just that they weren’t anything close to home runs. And I’m sure the Canucks would pick differently on both of those first round picks, if they could go back in time. So would 20 other teams, most likely.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I think when you make a pick, you realize there are a spectrum of possible outcomes , some more probable and desirable than others. You do your due diligence , make your pick and then hope for the best.  I don't really care where the players come from (as far as where in the draft) as long as they come from somewhere.  If your first rounder ends up being a third liner and your third rounder is a top six guy it's just being pedantic to really care. The problem is when neither turn out to be a top 6 player.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Cheers 2

On 1/17/2019 at 9:18 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jake is a player, ollie will be too.  Not as good as where they were picked, but JB has stolen 2 drafts out if 5, maybe 3 when the dust settles and has two underwhelming players but players from the 2 out if 5 drafts.  Is that a .750 average?  I would say so.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Pasternak

Boston scouted Pastrnak, JB was obviously familiar with Bostons draft plan.  I often wonder if JB was allowed to be hired in Vanvouver with an agreement not to take players on Bostons list.  Pure speculation, but he was hired two weeks prior to the draft, no way he doesn't know who Boston was after.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Boston scouted Pastrnak, JB was obviously familiar with Bostons draft plan.  I often wonder if JB was allowed to be hired in Vanvouver with an agreement not to take players on Bostons list.  Pure speculation, but he was hired two weeks prior to the draft, no way he doesn't know who Boston was after.  

It was reported that JB lit Thomas Gradin and the European's scout on fire a year after the 2014 draft for missing on David Pastrnak. So JB listen to the input of the scouting staffs he had and made the picks accordingly.

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

You would have taken Pastrnak at 6? STFU. Nobody seems to mention that we took McCann at 24 and Pastrnak went at 25. Evaluating 18 year olds is difficult. It's not like any other draft.

I never said that. He asked me who is a star player after 5th overall. Is he not a star player?  Chillax.

• Upvote 2