The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I recall Mits being very highly though of by fans and scouts. He was never considered to be outside the top 10.  My thoughts were that JB wanted Makar, but was secretly keeping Pete as his backup.  A lot of Canuck fans like Glass and many pundits thought the team was going to select Glass.

Regarding OJ and the latest 'bust list'...I don't like to see young players on these kind of lists.  Guddy, Yaks and Reinhart I can get (except Guddy is still playing, so I don't think of him as a bust completely).  These players have had plenty of chances to reach their potential and it hasn't panned out.  The younger guys still have a chance to reach their dreams and should be given some time to do so.

Lists like this should be reserved for prospects that are 24 years old and up.  Minimum of 24 years old.  

Currently the last busted 1st rounder was Hunter Shinkaruk.  Everyone of JB's first rounders have made the NHL or are still in the process of making the NHL.  

Currently Podz and OJ are the only 2 not to have succeeded.  Podz will and so will OJ unless he sustains a really bad injury again.  

Nowhere is it talked about that the club or player are done with each other.  Management still has high hopes for him.  Cull is positive on OJ.  

Calling a AHL rookie with 40 or so AHL games so far a bust is ridiculous.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Bit of trivia - both Rafferty and Juolevi in the top 8 rookie defenders in points - Rafferty number one, of course - and Juolevi missing eight games with injury.

But what's their plus minus.... the only stat that matters.... 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I don't think the mental lapses can be removed from the physical conditioning at OJ's level.  

The thing that allows Quinn Hughes to be effective at the NHL level is his insane stamina.  Part of this is his effortless skating, but not getting worn down physically keeps you sharper mentally as games and the season itself wears on.  

This also allows Hughes to expend more energy to recover from a mental lapse so win win.  

OJ needs both to be effective.  I believe he has the IQ already and as he physically gets closer to NHL regular level fitness the mental errors will drop off significantly.  

For opposite reasons Jake was impacted.  He had the physical strength and speed to impact the game but lacked stamina, conditioning and some IQ.  As he has improved his stamina and conditioning, the gaffes became less and less.  

My two bits for what it is worth.  

Hughes is a phenom, in hindsight he should have gone top 5, could justifiably gone 2nd in place of Svechnikov imo. That would make an interesting poll actually. 

OJ isn't that, but I do still think there's #2 D potential there. I still believe that Tkachup was passed on due to Benning knowing that family wanted no part of Vancouver and he didn't want to pick a problem child for us. Perfect fit for Calgary tho. Keller was a smurf. The pick makes sense for the situation. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes is a phenom, in hindsight he should have gone top 5, could justifiably gone 2nd in place of Svechnikov imo. That would make an interesting poll actually. 

OJ isn't that, but I do still think there's #2 D potential there. I still believe that Tkachup was passed on due to Benning knowing that family wanted no part of Vancouver and he didn't want to pick a problem child for us. Perfect fit for Calgary tho. Keller was a smurf. The pick makes sense for the situation. 

Agreed.  The nucks didn't even interview MT.  Going back to the NHLPA days with Linden, I seem to recall a dispute between the leadership and a group led by Chelios.  

I believe Dad Tkachuk was part of that.  Linden was a lighting rod for some players in the day due to his role in the NHLPA.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I recall his coach in London ( Dale Hunters )stated he'll be a second pairing D in the NHL. I tend to believe this was a case when JB uncharacteristically chose by position rather than BPA. I don't have evidence but we can't deny he doesn't follow the JB drafting critique so far.

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I recall his coach in London ( Dale Hunters )stated he'll be a second pairing D in the NHL. I tend to believe this was a case when JB uncharacteristically chose by position rather than BPA. I don't have evidence but we can't deny he doesn't follow the JB drafting critique so far.

If he became a top 4 D everyone would be pretty happy.

I think JB was high on OJ because of his skill smarts and smoothness. I remember he compared him to Lidstrom a bit or said he was like him.

I am happy of how things turned out because there would be a good chance we wouldn't of gotten Hughes or Petey if we went with Tkachuk since he'd make us better and gotten us a higher pick than 5th and 7th in those drafts.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hunter had Bo pegged as a 3C too... its hard to really know where these kids will end up.

I think Benning picked for "floor" with OJ, worst case he'd be a top 4, but has the tools for top 2 pairing. 

Yeah I recall Hunter saying things about Bo. Gillis thought he'd be a #2C. But hard work has shown u can be what you will

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he became a top 4 D everyone would be pretty happy.

I think JB was high on OJ because of his skill smarts and smoothness. I remember he compared him to Lidstrom a bit or said he was like him.

I am happy of how things turned out because there would be a good chance we wouldn't of gotten Hughes or Petey if we went with Tkachuk since he'd make us better and gotten us a higher pick than 5th and 7th in those drafts.

There may be some truth to that. He saw the offence but didn't see the lack of defence ( +/-  :lol: )At the time London was abit of a powerhouse in the O

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There may be some truth to that. He saw the offence but didn't see the lack of defence ( +/-  :lol: )At the time London was abit of a powerhouse in the O

He probably foreshadowed and hoped that having a coach like Dale Hunter would help round out his game.

He was a + player in his first season pro in Finland both during the season and in the playoffs. Could of had a better +/- in his first season in the AHL if he had more time to adjust to the AHL. We all saw how Lind was getting better the 2nd half of last year. Utica wasn't as good though and we came in and took half their players.

That injury really set him back. My main concern is his athleticism. If he isn't in good enough shape he is gonna have a harder time to improve. Has to be faster and stronger.

7 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Didn't get to McCann, but he is also a decent player.  No David Pastrnak, but okay for a 24th OA.  

Bruins drafted Pasternak but in 2015 flopped in the 1st round and could of had so many good players right now.

Goes to show that not every GM is perfect.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Bruins drafted Pasternak but in 2015 flopped in the 1st round and could of had so many good players right now.

Goes to show that not every GM is not perfect.

Yep, but by canucks standards, how can anyone be decrying JB's drafting?  It is baffling. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

I don't understand how people can state OJ is a bust when he hasn't played a single game in the NHL...

well, from their perspective, that's exactly the reason why they call him a bust ...