The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yeah...that article is written by the same knuckle dragging idiots that are wrong on 98% of their opinions.  Don't mind me if I disregard it.

:picard:

Is it from the same idiots that made top 10 players of the decade. But didn’t put Keith Kane Toews Doughty in it

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I do too

I think a bigger concern  though will be resigning players due for raises soon though, and having to trade decent assets as sweeteners to clear u cap space, to take on some of our pricey contracts,  ;(

We still need more pieces and I hope we don't have to give up high picks , or we cannot progress past where we are

I'm not to worried about that. There are a lot of moves to be made, cap coming off the books, bridge contracts, and elc's on the way, plus trades. 

Edit: In 3 years time we only have $16.75m committed (+Ferland $3.5). Of course that only covers Bo, Miller, and Myers so we have to re/sign 19 players for ~$65m + cap + cap increase ($5m) = ($70m)

I would guess we hope to have 3 forwards on elc's or cheap rfa by then out of Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Lind, MacEwen. etc.

I would also guess we have 2 defence on elc or cheap rfa as well in Juolevi, Woo, Rathbone, Brisebois, Utonen, + the next 2 years draft picks. 

I guess my point after all this rambling is that we have a tonne of flexibility moving forward, although the tough part will be signing everyone at once. We might see a guy like Miller or Boeser traded.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Juolevi makes The Hockey News as 10th best draft bust of the decade.

Time to cash in and move on on this asset before it’s too late, if it isn’t yet.

Other notables:

Gudbranson 

Puljujarvi

Top 10 draft busts of the decade

That report is just asinine...  The writer is playing a numbers game without any thought to anything.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Great post Googlie,    I do think we see OJ up before the end of Feb, for a good stretch of games.. it sounds , by all accounts that his game is getting quite strong, the franchise needs to see how he plays under NHL pressure. I think He needs to showcase this season, more for his realization, confidence, and development than the teams. The team could theoretically wait one more season.. but Regardless, think he makes a huge statement at next main camp as long as he stays healthy.  

Damn injuries, ruin so many long term careers.

If they bring him up he has to bump one of the playing LD + Benn who is waiting to come back in. I would be quite happy to see him play the season out with Utica and have a long Calder run. However, injuries happen as we all know.  

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

Good thing for Olli is he is one of the few guys on that list in a position to work his way off that list.

Ya. Which kind of bugs me that he's even on the list. If he was healthy throughout and still meddling in the minors than sure, maybe label him a bust. I will wait to see him play a whole healthy season in North America before calling him a bust or not. Kind of a dumb article anyways. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

He's still technically a rookie on the comets roster. Here are some defensemen that needed a lot of games in the AHL before making the step to the NHL. (50+ games)

Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Duncan Keith, Alex Edler, Chris Tanev, Mark Giordano, Roman Josi, Jeff Petry, Keith Yandle, Matthias Ekholm, Ryan Ellis. And plenty plenty more. Jim Rutherford was famous for saying that he avoids drafting defensemen because they take so long to develop. 

Apples to oranges. Most of these guys were drafted 2nd rd or later if at all. And even some of them drafted rds 2-6 made with nhl within 2-3 seasons of eligibility. 

I believe that OJ might still be a good 4/5 guy at the nhl level. 

But then again (like all of CDC) I believed Rodin was going to be a perennial all star in the nhl when he was 27 years old with 3 nhl games to his name. 

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

Juolevi makes The Hockey News as 10th best draft bust of the decade.

Time to cash in and move on on this asset before it’s too late, if it isn’t yet.

Other notables:

Gudbranson 

Puljujarvi

Top 10 draft busts of the decade

Thn otherwise known as the hockey news is a Toronto based in publication source.  They were pretty good in the late 90s and into the early 2000s but has since become a joke.  I lost all respect for them when they decided to listed Casey Mittelstadt as the best drafted prospect at the end of 2018, meanwhile Elias pettersson was like 9th.  We have no clue why they did this.  Pettersson lead his team and broke records as a 19 year old in the regular season and a playoff mvp against men. Mittelstadt was barely a point per game guy In college despite he posting 6 points in 6 nhl games.  He’s currently in the ahl. Just because they dislike Vancouver.  &^@# em.  They would have listed jake virtanen if they could not he’s having a strong year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Thn otherwise known as the hockey news is a Toronto based in publication source.  They were pretty good in the late 90s and into the early 2000s but has since become a joke.  I lost all respect for them when they decided to listed Casey Mittelstadt as the best drafted prospect at the end of 2018, meanwhile Elias pettersson was like 9th.  We have no clue why they did this.  Pettersson lead his team and broke records as a 19 year old in the regular season and a playoff mvp against men. Mittelstadt was barely a point per game guy In college despite he posting 6 points in 6 nhl games.  He’s currently in the ahl. Just because they dislike Vancouver.  &^@# em.  They would have listed jake virtanen if they could not he’s having a strong year.

Most prognosticaters  in 2017 had Middlestad ranked higher than Pettersson. Even JB described Middlestad as a very skilled centre. The difference was as I understand Ron Delorme really advocated for Pettersson. Vcr made out like bandits when they chose EP, but as I understand it was EP or CM depending on who was there.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Middlestad is still thought well of but hasn't fit well in the Buffalo system 

1 hour ago, wildwood12 said:

As Craig Button said he has to be considered a bust until he proves otherwise.

Tkachuk should have been the pick at that spot,. However hindsight is 20 - 20.

Yes, hindsight is 20-20 an there's no way of knowing if a prospect will have bad injuries during his developmental years.  I will wait and see how the next year pans out before labelling him a bust; he's just 21, so there is time for him to get there.

Yes, Tkachuk probably should have been picked, but it's time for folks to let that one go.  The team has lots of other picks to get excited about. 

Fans need to leave the kid be and let him develop at his own pace.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Toronto Media is a Troll service.  All this easterners hate us out here, because we live in the best climate.  It sucks to be them. 

And Middlestadt is not the only bustaroo.  What about Littlegren?  

Edited by Alflives

He was supposed to become a franchise defenseman.

From THN article^

When was that ever the expectations? I think most we're hoping for a good PMD #2 at his peak, and expecting a solid top 4 PMD whether thats first or second pair. 

Agree with DeNiro, crazy Burmistrov isn't on on the list. I think the Canucks had Burmistrov at #3 in 2010. Putting Juolevi on instead of him is crazy. 

7 hours ago, tas said:

that's "hockey writing 101" in 2019. 

a bunch of clowns that think they can predict results based on what's previously happened without understanding WHY it previously happened. 

Oh, man.  

I don’t read hockey articles like I used to because of that exact reason.  

Thoughtless espousing of “the numbers” is a whole lot better at explaining what  happened than what is going to happen.