The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Yep, but by canucks standards, how can anyone be decrying JB's drafting?  It is baffling. 

What people don't understand is that had we drafted Tkachuk we probably wouldn't of gotten Hughes or Petterrson the following years since we would have been a better team and have gotten a higher pick.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Sergachev, Chychrun projected as top pairing Ds - Juolevi didn't project lower than them.  Ahead of the draft Benning gave an interview where he said he had one of the Ds project as a D1.  Juolevi was the 1st D taken.  

I thought Benning said (ahead of the draft) he didn't see any of the defenseman as #1D. 

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have been quite critical of OJs defensive play (though I’m more concerned with health, fitness and skating issues), but in no way do I support writing this kid off. I believe he has just turned 22, and has been derailed by two seasons of injury. Since coming back from his latest injury, his play has visibly improved. A look at Rafferty is a look at what can happen in terms of developing defenceman even at 24.  Rafferty was nowhere near a point a game D in college, but now he is .... in the AHL - quite a lift in competition level from college. Rafferty has visibly improved and grown more confident through the entire season - though I do expect a slowdown as he approaches the maximum number of games he has ever played before. If Juolevi can manage to finish this season healthy and get in a full off-season of trading, I expect a big jump in play next year. Can he then be an NHL player? Why not? The hardest part of the game to teach is offence and transition (he appears to be strong in those aspects of his game) - defence can be learned. A healthy remainder of this season should yield marked improvements for next year. 

He is still 21.

Edit: I see this was mentioned already.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What people don't understand is that had we drafted Tkachuk we probably wouldn't of gotten Hughes or Petterrson the following years since we would have been a better team and have gotten a higher pick.

You say people don't understand?

Why use that argument in a lottery system?

Have you forgotten teams leaping past us, especially Philly in 2017

Besides with or without Tkachuk we havent  gone to the top with Hughes AND Petterrson YET, so why would have we back then?

13 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

You say people don't understand?

Why use that argument in a lottery system?

Have you forgotten teams leaping past us, especially Philly in 2017

Besides with or without Tkachuk we havent  gone to the top with Hughes AND Petterrson YET, so why would have we back then?

I use that argument because I can. It's a valid one based on the higher probability. I haven't forgotten. Just using the higher probability. We would be a better team in 2016-17 with Tkachuk. Boeser would be on his rookie year too. We would of likely gotten a first pick that was higher than 5th. We could of won the lotto but would we draft Petey with a top 3 pick? We are dealing with a lot more what ifs when we break it down.

That's why we should probably stop complaining about wanting Tkachuk because it probably would of made our team look a lot different than it is and we have a lot of good things going for us with what we have currently. Yeah we haven't gone anywhere with Petey or Hughes yet but ones a rookie and the other is a sophomore. Our team is still young and still has a few more holes to fill but we've been trending upwards for a bit now.

No GM is perfect. Boston drafted Pasternak in 2014 and then flopped in 2015. Could of had 3 of Boeser, Chabot, Aho, Konecny or Barzal(All of which have been All-Stars) but missed out on them all.

3 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

The guy is 21 and has battled through two major injuries. Unless they absolutely suck at the AHL level, I don't think we should be calling anyone a bust before the age of 24 at least 

you don't need to convince me, I'm patient and like juolevi. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Teemu Selanne would’ve been considered a “bust” by fans today as he didn’t make the NHL until his Draft+4 years.

Ya, but in his rookie year he scored 70 goals if I'm not mistaken?

Wow, I just watched the highlights from the second last Utica game where Olli had two amazing primary assists.  Highly recommend checking out the passes he made to Kole Lind and Wacey Hamilton for their goals, top notch! 

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned much but Joulevi’s career is eerily similar to another top 5 pick, Thomas Hickey.   Drafted in 07, 4thoverall by the Kings, Hickey went back and played 2 seasons before making the jump to the AHL.  At the end of his second season Hickey got injured which required surgery and forced him to miss the remained of the season and spend all summer rehabbing.  Then he enters his rookie season in the AHL and in November gets set back with another injury that also required surgery which kept him out till April, he gets back and two games later gets injured again with a high ankle sprain keeping him out the rest of the year. 

By the time he turned 22 he already had 3 major injuries, two of which required surgery.  He eventually made his way into the NHL at the age 23 and put together a respectable NHL career.  Not exactly the career the Kings were forecasting when they took him 4th overall but he’ll likely pass the 500 NHL game mark next season. 

• Upvote 2

Have to admit that the arguement for not drafting Tkachuk over OJ should not be based on draft position in the following years.  

Although thru luck and great scouting we snagged way better players than we should have in at least 3 of JB's 6 drafts.  I am convinced that Porz will become a steal at 10.  

The only questionable drafts were the JV draft and OJ draft.  

JV is proving his value this year, it took time but wtf cares.  OJ is 21 and the same or similar yahoos are already claiming he is a bust. 

Fools rush in, then become really silent when doubting JB's work so far.  

It is again far too early to call OJ a bust.  Just like it was too early to call JV a bust.  

When we end up having the deepest defence in the league in 2 years, it will be very quiet on this thread.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Even right now, our winning streak is keeping most of the trolls and haters very quiet. I picture them huddled under their bridge, cursing JB, Jake, OJ, etc, muttering "they have to lose eventually, and then CDC will be ours again!"

Dont know why, but this made me think of "Watership Down"

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Ya, but in his rookie year he scored 70 goals if I'm not mistaken?

That’s the point I am trying make. Can’t just call somebody a bust just because they haven’t played a game in the NHL yet at the age of 21.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Teemu Selanne would’ve been considered a “bust” by fans today as he didn’t make the NHL until his Draft+4 years.

I doubt anyone would have considered  Selanne  a bust

He was always a top player and lead the World Jrs and WC

Selanne had military service in Finland and was also leading their league in those years before joining the Jets

• Upvote 1